Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10092 10093 [10094] 10095 10096 ... 11038

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14549212 times)

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #151395 on: May 10, 2020, 12:10:37 pm »

So about a week ago I get an e-mail from some dude offering an invite to this great new site for selling your artwork, how he's a fan of this one piece I have on Artstation from like 3 years ago and how it's a great opportunity and all that good stuff (completely ignoring the fact that I haven't posted anything on Artstation in the last year+). I decide to ignore it because it sounds kinda shady (even if the thing turned out legit, the fact that they're hunting me speaks a bit on the amount of traffic they're seeing), but the dude is persistent, on his third e-mail now and I have a feeling I'll see a few more before he gives up. I'd just like to know where the fuck did they get my e-mail address from.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151396 on: May 10, 2020, 12:15:23 pm »

So about a week ago I get an e-mail from some dude offering an invite to this great new site for selling your artwork, how he's a fan of this one piece I have on Artstation from like 3 years ago and how it's a great opportunity and all that good stuff (completely ignoring the fact that I haven't posted anything on Artstation in the last year+). I decide to ignore it because it sounds kinda shady (even if the thing turned out legit, the fact that they're hunting me speaks a bit on the amount of traffic they're seeing), but the dude is persistent, on his third e-mail now and I have a feeling I'll see a few more before he gives up. I'd just like to know where the fuck did they get my e-mail address from.
what if you ask how the person got your email??

Stench Guzman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151397 on: May 10, 2020, 05:37:05 pm »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151398 on: May 10, 2020, 08:57:57 pm »

Often associative maps have the semantic idiosyncrasy where accessing a key that does not exist creates a new entry in the map, with that key and a default-constructed value.

This is so that, for example, in C++, you can write "m[a] = b" to insert the entry (a, b) into the map m. This is also why I've heard the [] syntax be discouraged, in favor of .at(), if this sort of default-construction is not desired. Apparently the engine writers used [] somewhere to get an object by key and either purposefully or inadvertently triggered the default-construction when the key was not there. If they had used .at() instead there would've been an exception generated. If exceptions were not what they wanted they could have used .find() with a dereference, which would've probably generated a segfault instead, but would've probably been less confusing than creating a completely new object somewhere else and continuing on.

Or, at least, I'm guessing, since this situation seems like an example of what I've described above.

What I think is more likely here is that the parent object simply doesn't exist. The objects would be stored in a flat table, since for a game engine you generally want to keep your data-structures as simple as possible, so you don't want to hard-code any hierarchies. You wouldn't use a map data structure here (at least, from parent to child) since one parent may have multiple children. Each child is also referenced by ID, so you have to have a master table of objects with IDs anyway, so adding a multi-map would be unnecessary overhead too.

So what you want is a bunch of records with ID as the key, and the payload as the value. The payload would include a field "ParentID". So the child's ID is being created, it's just being created with a ParentID that's not in the database at all. There's no need to speculate that it's created a phantom node at that point.

Now, consider what happens whenever a new child object is spawned. You make a new object which gets a new ID and you specify which ParentID you want. However, should the game engine validate what you created? Every time you spawn a new node? What if there are 1 million nodes and you're creating another 1000 nodes? The best-case scenario is that it does a heap-search of all million nodes, at least twice. First, to check that you gave it a valid ParentID and that you gave it a unique new object ID. That would be significant overhead on spawning objects. The game engine would be much faster if it just assumes the IDs that the code is giving it were correct to start with. So, yeah, it's not doing a full search of all nodes every time you make something, on purpose, for efficiency. If every time the engine runs some code it's doing extensive error checking to prevent mod makers from hurting themselves the game would run like dogshit.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 09:04:31 pm by Reelya »

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151399 on: May 10, 2020, 11:01:17 pm »

There's definitely a mapping somewhere from IDs to nodes. Probably a std::map or std::unordered_map or some similar implementation. If it's C++ that means [] probably has the behavior I mentioned earlier.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #151400 on: May 11, 2020, 07:32:45 am »

Ended up watching some show on Netflix, which has proven itself to be a reasonably bizarre... Chinese anime? Yeah.

Nevermind that this is about a street food vendor-turned-barber-turned-wannabe assassin trying to recover his memory under the guidance of his necktie-obsessed manager (who is a chicken), although I suppose that is a fair share of the "WTF" portion of this response.

The dub was better than the sub for the first season, but second season doesn't have a dub yet. I really hope the dub manages to preserve this absolute smackdown of a burn the manager chicken just spat out.

Long somewhat spoilery story short, there's an old rival who was beaten when his steroid habit was discovered and used against him, and that rival has come back bigger than ever with a bunch of weaponized cyborg parts that he's using to gain the advantage.

Mr. Chicken just called him a "microtransaction gamer"

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #151401 on: May 11, 2020, 07:37:57 am »

And. The title?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #151402 on: May 11, 2020, 07:51:21 am »

And. The title?
?!

▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓(o  \*/o  )▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓

Fool! You think I would reveal my secrets so easily??!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #151403 on: May 11, 2020, 07:53:21 am »

Scissor seven
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #151404 on: May 11, 2020, 10:06:38 am »

Scissor seven
You are a kind soul.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #151405 on: May 11, 2020, 04:05:44 pm »

For some reason, whenever someone 'likes' one of the models I post on a different site, it increments my own 'likes' count, even though I've never hit like on anything. This started about a week ago.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #151406 on: May 11, 2020, 05:21:02 pm »

I discovered a way to underclock my system down to an incredibly slow 112.5 MHz. Because I could, I decided to benchmark it with Geekbench 5. I got a single-core score of 11 and a multi-core score of 39. No, really. I'm fairly certain that this counts as the lowest result ever attained in Geekbench 5, but I can't be sure.

The WTF happens when I try to search for the result. Search by the computer model, nope. Search using the processor, nothing. It seems that they filter out results that are too far away from the norm, which is a disappointment. I thought I could mess with people or confuse them with such a low result.

Edit: Scratch that, it now shows up in search results. I'm surprised, honestly.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 12:36:45 am by methylatedspirit »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #151407 on: May 11, 2020, 05:52:16 pm »

Scissor seven
Muhfuh got ninja'd so ninjaly, he didn't even know he'd been ninja'd... Damn.

EDIT: Also that latest episode better not think it's actually a season finale, because if so... If so, then it's the disappointing capstone on a season that forgot what it was supposed to be.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #151408 on: May 11, 2020, 05:53:53 pm »

WHAT IS THIS FUCKERY!!?

Code: [Select]
[quote author=Kagus link=topic=68850.msg8138598#msg8138598 date=1589201481]
[quote author=Frumple link=topic=68850.msg8138588#msg8138588 date=1589200677]
And. The title?
[/quote]
[i]?![/i]
[hr]
[i]▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓([b][sub]o[/sub][/b]  \*/[b][sub]o[/sub][/b]  )▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓[/i]
[hr]

Fool! You think I would reveal my secrets [i][acronym=It's called "Scissor Seven" because reasons. First season is fun, but the last three "bonus episodes" are all tragic backstory and are kinda out of character as such. Second season seems to have forgotten what it was doing, but that burn makes up for it.]so easily??![/acronym][/i]
[/quote]
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #151409 on: May 11, 2020, 06:00:39 pm »

What's wrong with it?
Pages: 1 ... 10092 10093 [10094] 10095 10096 ... 11038