Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10091 10092 [10093] 10094 10095 ... 11038

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14549306 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #151380 on: May 06, 2020, 04:05:32 pm »

For what it's worth, the things seem easier to find nowadays. They also tend to go into things like blood sugar testing devices, which are around more than they were a while ago. Least feels like they're around more now than they were, say, twenty years ago or something.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151381 on: May 06, 2020, 04:09:12 pm »

Also related: the increase in use of FRICKIN WATCH BATTERIES in toys.  And where there aren't watch batteries, they are all AAA so they last like 3 minutes.  And it's not because the toys are too small to fit the space of even a AA or C - they are just probably colluding with the battery manufacturers.

Or perhaps they recognize that many of their toys' power needs can be met by a AAA cell, so they went with the most versatile form factor as far as they could to simplify production? If all your toys need the same battery, they also need the same battery clips and part of the same power supply and so forth, and the battery compartment can re-use an existing design to help get the molds made.

How feasible would it be to keep a set of rechargeable AAAs on hand and have your kid swap them into whatever toys they want powered?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #151382 on: May 06, 2020, 04:27:41 pm »

Ahh, when I was child I would recharge every battery, AAA or not.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #151383 on: May 06, 2020, 04:37:53 pm »

Yeah you can use rechargeable batteries, but they last even less time than regular batteries of the same size.  So when you have young kids screaming to play, you are constantly swapping batteries.

Not Fun.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #151384 on: May 06, 2020, 06:39:26 pm »

The power consumption of any form of electronics is far lower than it was 20 years ago. This means that anything that doesn't use motors will last at least as long with a AAA as the toys of yesteryear did with an AA.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #151385 on: May 07, 2020, 11:15:13 am »

Assassins Creed II seems to have a really unbalanced tutorial early part.
Many times it only tells me how to do something either after I figured it out on my own, after a section where it would have been useful, or both.
What takes the cake in my mind is Stealing however. To pickpocket, all you have to do is hold the foot button while walking into people, which is also the 'walk faster' button. They could have easily not had people he looted in the tutorial part have enough money for the doctor, so he steals a bit to pay for it, or otherwise make it so he can't do it before the game tells you how to do it, considering how easy it is accidentally steal.
It doesn't tell how to steal until the next arc after you can first steal, and after I stole over 2000 coins.
 It also tells you how to climb several missions after after it tells you how to freerun and sprint. Sprinting is the same button combination as climbing and half of it is the button for free running, so I didn't even realize climbing wasn't just a part of normal free running, until several missions after I first started climbing.
 There are many more cases of such things.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 11:19:55 am by pikachu17 »
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #151386 on: May 07, 2020, 01:56:41 pm »

The power consumption of any form of electronics is far lower than it was 20 years ago. This means that anything that doesn't use motors will last at least as long with a AAA as the toys of yesteryear did with an AA.
Ah yeah, I was specifically referring to motorized toys.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #151387 on: May 07, 2020, 02:32:11 pm »

Ah yeah, I was specifically referring to motorized toys.
*waggles eyebrows*
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #151388 on: May 08, 2020, 03:39:20 am »

Spent a good two hours trying to make a simple mod for 7 days to die that added a very small chance to be able to wrench damaged solar panels that spawn in the world into solar banks and solar cells. (because they are not nearly good enough to be locked behind a perk that requires maxed int and a trader to get).  I'm still new to modding that game but it should have been simple even for me, it's literally 3 lines.  But I made a mistake, and because of one thing it never threw an error to tell me why it was not working.

In what world would you have the <append> command not throw an error when referencing something that does not exist.

---

Talking to the computer: Ok I want you to attach this post it note to that solar panel with the Id cntCollapsedSolarbank.
Computer: Got it boss!

*goes to solar panel*
Computer: Huh well theres something named cntCollapsedSolarbank but not something with the Id cntCollapsedSolarbank.   Should I throw an error?  ...nah I'll just create something invisible and intangible out of thin air with the Id cntCollapsedSolarbank and attach the sticky note to that!  Clearly that's why they specifically used the append tag.

*later*
Me: Why is my sticky note not on the solar panel?
Computer: I unno, looks fine to me.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 03:43:42 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151389 on: May 08, 2020, 12:03:01 pm »

Often associative maps have the semantic idiosyncrasy where accessing a key that does not exist creates a new entry in the map, with that key and a default-constructed value.

This is so that, for example, in C++, you can write "m[a] = b" to insert the entry (a, b) into the map m. This is also why I've heard the [] syntax be discouraged, in favor of .at(), if this sort of default-construction is not desired. Apparently the engine writers used [] somewhere to get an object by key and either purposefully or inadvertently triggered the default-construction when the key was not there. If they had used .at() instead there would've been an exception generated. If exceptions were not what they wanted they could have used .find() with a dereference, which would've probably generated a segfault instead, but would've probably been less confusing than creating a completely new object somewhere else and continuing on.

Or, at least, I'm guessing, since this situation seems like an example of what I've described above.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 12:06:53 pm by bloop_bleep »
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #151390 on: May 10, 2020, 10:14:19 am »

Introduce a bacterium to mosquitoes? To what, kill them all off?

That would be ill-advised, even discounting the proposed method. Also likely impossible.

The news blurb states that it 'prevents the mosquitoes from carrying the malaria disease', without going into how exactly.

I've worked on this!!

Well, I've worked in the same lab developing primers to track the same infections in tick cells anyways. (ixodes scapula)
Basically it's just an infection designed to spike the host's immune response so it kills off everything it's carrying.

I did get to feed the mosquitoes sometimes though. :)
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151391 on: May 10, 2020, 10:27:43 am »

That would be ill-advised, even discounting the proposed method. Also likely impossible.

The news blurb states that it 'prevents the mosquitoes from carrying the malaria disease', without going into how exactly.
I've worked on this!!

Well, I've worked in the same lab developing primers to track the same infections in tick cells anyways. (ixodes scapula)
Basically it's just an infection designed to spike the host's immune response so it kills off everything it's carrying.

Are you an entomologist? What other research have you done? This sounds interesting
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 10:34:45 am by Naturegirl1999 »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151392 on: May 10, 2020, 10:31:58 am »

Somehow, someone managed to accidentally catch a fly under a saucepan lid on the kitchen table. I only noticed the next morning that there was movement underneath it.
Also, earlier I found a green frog just sitting on the path as I came back from taking the rubbish out. It's a miracle I didn't step on the silly thing in the dark - or that the outside cat wasn't around to catch it, for that matter. He's been unusually bloodthirsty lately, assuming that dead rat/mouse the other day was killed by him, at least.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #151393 on: May 10, 2020, 11:06:49 am »

I've worked on this!!

Are you an entomologist? What other research have you done? This sounds interesting

Not an entomologist. (Wish i was sometime)

I am an ecologist.
Other notable research, hmm...

I worked with a grad student on her thesis a while back that was pretty cool. We did vegetation and species surveys for urban birds all over the city, and then overlayed that with demographic data to make a system for predicting the actual ecological value of different types of development. Good for urban planning and pretty to look at. :)

I also do a fuk ton of fieldwork at my current job. I work with quail as a wildlife technician, so its mostly radio telemetry and messing with automated recording systems, but it's fun!

I haven't really done much other serious lab work tbh, unless you count the occasional dissection of a quail. I did write a program to model quail populations over time given environmental data once, but it was hot garbage. I don't exactly have the most extensive resume tbh, I only just graduated a few days ago. :P
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151394 on: May 10, 2020, 11:21:26 am »

I've worked on this!!

Not an entomologist. (Wish i was sometime)

I am an ecologist.
Other notable research, hmm...

I worked with a grad student on her thesis a while back that was pretty cool. We did vegetation and species surveys for urban birds all over the city, and then overlayed that with demographic data to make a system for predicting the actual ecological value of different types of development. Good for urban planning and pretty to look at. :)

I also do a fuk ton of fieldwork at my current job. I work with quail as a wildlife technician, so its mostly radio telemetry and messing with automated recording systems, but it's fun!

I haven't really done much other serious lab work tbh, unless you count the occasional dissection of a quail. I did write a program to model quail populations over time given environmental data once, but it was hot garbage. I don't exactly have the most extensive resume tbh, I only just graduated a few days ago. :P
that’s all very interesting. I find biology very interesting, and am trying to figure out what to go into, I find ecology cool, aswellsd parasites. What would it be called to study how parasitism originates? When you dissected quails, were you looking for anything in particular? If so, what?
Pages: 1 ... 10091 10092 [10093] 10094 10095 ... 11038