Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10077 10078 [10079] 10080 10081 ... 11038

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14548032 times)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #151170 on: April 25, 2020, 08:03:57 pm »

So I read 'I have no mouth and I must scream' today.

Ive also played the game, and wow the difference.  I can appreciate what the game is, but what it isnt is the book.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #151171 on: April 25, 2020, 09:13:13 pm »

It's a short story not a book. Not much material for a game if you stick only to the source  🤷‍♂️

Not that I'm a big believer on graphic adventures as a genre..  I mean I love IJ and the Fate of Atlantis as much as anyone but that's part because it was the first computer game I played, part because it was very extensive..
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #151172 on: April 25, 2020, 09:20:28 pm »

It's a short story not a book. Not much material for a game if you stick only to the source  🤷‍♂️

Not that I'm a big believer on graphic adventures as a genre..  I mean I love IJ and the Fate of Atlantis as much as anyone but that's part because it was the first computer game I played, part because it was very extensive..
Oh gosh, I loved Fate of Atlantis.  It was very difficult for my brother and I so we mostly played the "brawler" route and used the sucker punch, but it sure has replay value.  And the setting works very well... particularly, well, Atlantis.  I think that's hardly a spoiler.  Though most of the game is still hunting down clues.  I think I completed the Teamwork (you and an NPC) route eventually, though with hints.  So much replay value for a graphic adventure game!

That wasn't our first Lucasarts adventure though, we spent more time with Day of the Tentacle and Monkey Island 1.
...also, Putt Putt.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #151173 on: April 25, 2020, 10:38:56 pm »

What's fun about the video game of I have no mouth and I must scream is that the book's author voices AM.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #151174 on: April 25, 2020, 10:53:44 pm »

Oh gosh, I loved Fate of Atlantis.  It was very difficult for my brother and I so we mostly played the "brawler" route and used the sucker punch, but it sure has replay value.  And the setting works very well... particularly, well, Atlantis.  I think that's hardly a spoiler.  Though most of the game is still hunting down clues.  I think I completed the Teamwork (you and an NPC) route eventually, though with hints.  So much replay value for a graphic adventure game!

That wasn't our first Lucasarts adventure though, we spent more time with Day of the Tentacle and Monkey Island 1.
...also, Putt Putt.

Played The DIG yet?

Or, Beneath a Steel Sky?

Those Point-Click-Adventure titles lend themselves very well to tablets. ScummVM has an android port, and it works great.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #151175 on: April 25, 2020, 11:40:09 pm »

I've been running my laptop undervolted for some time. It's stable, but I managed to crash this thing by pressing the BCLK button in ThrottleStop with it undervolted. I'm surprised something so innocuous (to quote a guide, "BLCK sends a request to recalculate the bus and clock speeds of your CPU when pressed") can crash the entire system.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #151176 on: April 26, 2020, 12:25:54 am »

Ive also played the game, and wow the difference.  I can appreciate what the game is, but what it isnt is the book.

Trying to 1:1 port a fixed-narrative work (book, movie, opera, whatever) into an adventure game is pretty much guaranteed to fail, because you'd have the player having to do exactly what the characters in the story did. At best, this will be railroad-y as hell. At worst, you'll be shuffling along having to do arbitrary tasks that make no sense to anyone coming into the game cold.

It is much better to adopt the general narrative and thematic structure as a skeleton, then build a normal game around it. That's pretty much exactly what happened in this quest (the game was codeveloped, and the expanded script written, by Harlan Ellison himself). Another excellent example is the Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade adaptation from LucasArts, which hits most of the key plot points, but has a lot more freeform structure between them.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #151177 on: April 26, 2020, 12:27:42 am »

At worst, you'll be shuffling along having to do arbitrary tasks that make no sense to anyone coming into the game cold.

Looking at you, Hitchhiker's Guide text adventure.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151178 on: April 26, 2020, 12:28:33 am »

So I found out earlier where the WatchPeopleDie Reddit people went just a while ago.  Not sure if its my stick, but it causes a strange revulsion when I see some of the videos that I feel almost obligated to watch.
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151179 on: April 26, 2020, 12:29:41 am »

Trying to 1:1 port a fixed-narrative work (book, movie, opera, whatever) into an adventure game is pretty much guaranteed to fail, because you'd have the player having to do exactly what the characters in the story did. At best, this will be railroad-y as hell. At worst, you'll be shuffling along having to do arbitrary tasks that make no sense to anyone coming into the game cold.

It is much better to adopt the general narrative and thematic structure as a skeleton, then build a normal game around it. That's pretty much exactly what happened in this quest (the game was codeveloped, and the expanded script written, by Harlan Ellison himself). Another excellent example is the Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade adaptation from LucasArts, which hits most of the key plot points, but has a lot more freeform structure between them.

The story was entirely to succinct to make a game out of, and the subject matter was a mixture of bleak torture and an odd fixation on Benny's dick/physique.  But that fixation really helped to drive home the point of the story, since it was about this man's loss of humanity.
PKs DF Mod!

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #151180 on: April 26, 2020, 01:59:43 am »

I think I remember reading an article about the guy who worked with Harlan Ellison to make the game. How the story needed to have a, somewhat, positive and hopeful ending. Much to Harlan's contention. It's got some good music too, Gorrister's theme is well done.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #151181 on: April 26, 2020, 03:21:00 am »

in 54 hours, I will have been here for 9 years, of which I will have spent .94 years total on this forum, almost all of that being between 2011 and 2016. What the heck.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #151182 on: April 26, 2020, 04:45:35 am »

Played The DIG yet?

Or, Beneath a Steel Sky?

Those Point-Click-Adventure titles lend themselves very well to tablets. ScummVM has an android port, and it works great.
Yeah ScummVM is really nice.  I played The Dig ages ago with some sort of bug which kept me from saving, which I only noticed like an hour in...  so I had to rush through it in a couple days.  I think I liked the puzzles in it, and didn't have to look up too much.  I'm not generally good at adventure game puzzles but I still enjoy the games.

I got Beneath A Steel Sky when GOG offered it for free, which I think happened when the site launched.  Now that's a tricky one.  Such a unique story though!  I suppose it's cyberpunk, but with a lot more Judge Dredd than punk (and your character isn't a Judge).  Gotta love scrappy robot sidekicks for interesting puzzle solutions.

As for WTF, how about Hopkins FBI (LP'd by DavidsPackage, and Retsupurae'd)?  Warning, surprising amounts of cartoon blood/violence.  It's a bizarre detective game with an act 1 twist I don't want to spoil, and gets zanier from there.  They jammed a Wolfenstein clone in the last act despite clearly running out of budget.  Also, I think the protagonist is casually pan, but the game is so unintentionally strange that it's hard to really tell??  I've rewatched the Retsupurae a couple times, it's a trip from start to end.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 04:56:53 am by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151183 on: April 26, 2020, 10:16:19 am »

I did finish Beneath A Steel Sky a while back, great story.

I never did end up with a copy of The Dig, however, should put that on the list.

Full Throttle is also one I'd highly recommend.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151184 on: April 26, 2020, 10:42:23 am »

I've been running my laptop undervolted for some time. It's stable, but I managed to crash this thing by pressing the BCLK button in ThrottleStop with it undervolted. I'm surprised something so innocuous (to quote a guide, "BLCK sends a request to recalculate the bus and clock speeds of your CPU when pressed") can crash the entire system.

You are having it diagnose (and change?) things while it's running. I'd expect some sort of negative effect (corrupted data, soft-locking, etc.) if it's changing anything, with a much smaller chance of it happening just from the diagnosis.

Pages: 1 ... 10077 10078 [10079] 10080 10081 ... 11038