Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9330 9331 [9332] 9333 9334 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14558670 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #139965 on: November 10, 2018, 02:53:06 pm »

I mean, they have enacted broad sweeping social policies, they are very tolerant of personal preferences and choices-- their only real downside is their staunch isolationism, because they fear being destroyed by outsiders.  Culturally, they are like the extremely fancy kind of cosmopolitan Rome. Or, don't you like all the many cultural advancements Rome gave modern society? They had human spectacle in the coliseums as well. ACTUAL HUMANS, that think, feel, and contemplate the future. (and not subhuman, but clever animals. The slave class in the mound are like the nonspeaking and animalistic post-humans in the 1970s planet of the apes.)

It looks more to me like you are throwing the baby out with the bathwater.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 02:55:16 pm by wierd »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #139966 on: November 10, 2018, 02:55:41 pm »

Zombies used to be real people, with dreams, families, friends... now they are just shambling... things.
Just like working here! Ha ha ha, am I right, Patricia? Oh hey, next Thursday is Phil's retirement party, we're doing a collection.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #139967 on: November 10, 2018, 02:56:59 pm »

How could you be arguing that it was justified? Stop it. It’s just wrong, regardless of context.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139968 on: November 10, 2018, 02:59:13 pm »

the downslide from intellectual riggor to "feelings" and "impulses" holding maximal value. (again, see Alt-Left and its rise in the information age.)
At least in America, that sounds like exactly how the alt right argues

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139969 on: November 10, 2018, 03:01:48 pm »

the downslide from intellectual riggor to "feelings" and "impulses" holding maximal value. (again, see Alt-Left and its rise in the information age.)
At least in America, that sounds like exactly how the alt right argues

It's what BOTH of them do.  Again, I specifically lamplit the more extreme antifa doxxers, who doxx people who just happen to have been near nazi meetups.  People not even involved, but get their lives ruined anyway by the implication, and the people doing the doxxing are unfazed by this. The impulse, the feeling of vindication-- those are all that mattered.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #139970 on: November 10, 2018, 03:07:41 pm »

-snip-
The rhetorical style of you guy's posts read like the equivalent verbal sparring to a duel from The Princess Bride

This. I'd be eating popcorn if I had some.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #139971 on: November 10, 2018, 03:10:58 pm »

Okay, so let's just get this straight. You have zero problem with the fact that the equivalent of great apes are continously tortured, that any foreigner entering the society is forced to remain on pain of a fate worse than death, the rapid and visible decline of knowledge and society as a whole, and that crimes are punished by horrific, extended torture followed by your corpse being used as slave labour to set an example.

You are okay with this because there is a universal basic income and no one cares what you do as long as it isn't immediately harmful.

You also kept comparing them to North Korea. Have you given up on that, or do you find North Korea quite the model state, too?

-snip-
The rhetorical style of you guy's posts read like the equivalent verbal sparring to a duel from The Princess Bride

This. I'd be eating popcorn if I had some.

Honestly 40% of the reason I'm still going is that everyone else finds us entertaining :P

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #139972 on: November 10, 2018, 03:12:40 pm »

as the old saying goes, you can't make an omelette without constant, needless and horrible torture of living beings for your own amusement
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139973 on: November 10, 2018, 03:18:15 pm »

See this^

This is why I said you had a conniption fit.  You are having another one.  This is NOT "being the definition of civil."

Rather than be accepting that the human condition is fucking ugly, and includes such things in its background, you would rather deny it. I can clearly see that in your dialog.

The society of the mound dwellers bends over backward to accomodate individual taste.  The one problem most certainly is their paranoid fear of outsiders destroying them.  Do you want to know why?

There is research that only 20% of a population needs to hold a view, for that view to become the new dominant one.  The mound dwellers allowing outsiders to come and go, would change their culture away from all the decadent horrors depicted, at least in time.

The result would be a very progressive culture, already sustaining a functioning public welfare system with fantastic levels of social tolerance.

Again, you are throwing the baby out with the bath water, rather than seeing it for its potential-- then doubling down on emotional responses about how evil a person I must be not to agree with you.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #139974 on: November 10, 2018, 03:35:02 pm »

You... Didn’t answer him, as far as I can tell. At this point, from what I can see, there’s some kind of disconnect between what you’re both saying.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139975 on: November 10, 2018, 03:40:31 pm »

His questions are loaded, and intended to beg the question.  That is why I am not answering them.

If YOU however, want an answer, I will give you one.

You have zero problem with the fact that the equivalent of great apes are continously tortured, that any foreigner entering the society is forced to remain on pain of a fate worse than death, the rapid and visible decline of knowledge and society as a whole, and that crimes are punished by horrific, extended torture followed by your corpse being used as slave labour to set an example.

No. I have problems with all of those things. However, those things can be overcome over time, if the culture allowed outsiders, per my answer above.  NEXT QUESTION.

You are okay with this because there is a universal basic income and no one cares what you do as long as it isn't immediately harmful.

No, that is begging the question. I answered why above.  NEXT QUESTION

You also kept comparing them to North Korea.

Yes I did, and do. North Korea keeps its populace from normalizing to western values via the mechanism I informed you about, by strictly controlling the exchange of ideas, and preventing critical mass of those destabilizing ideas.  Without that censorship, Leader Kim could not keep the west out.

Have you given up on that, or do you find North Korea quite the model state, too?

This is more begging the question. I answered above.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #139976 on: November 10, 2018, 03:47:42 pm »

See this^

This is why I said you had a conniption fit.  You are having another one.  This is NOT "being the definition of civil."

Really? All I've done is summarise the points I've made and, as best I can tell, your response. What's uncivil about that? And please don't use ALL CAPS, I can read lowercase just fine.

Rather than be accepting that the human condition is fucking ugly, and includes such things in its background, you would rather deny it. I can clearly see that in your dialog.

I think you're reading far too much into very little, in an effort not to be wrong despite having taken a position you realise, consciously or unconsciously, is untenable. I was going to go on a long rant about how I've rubbed shoulders with the dark side of humanity nearly all my life, but that's not really actually relevant.

Instead of making an appeal to emotion to try and discredit my argument, why don't you just give a straight answer?

The society of the mound dwellers bends over backward to accomodate individual taste.  The one problem most certainly is their paranoid fear of outsiders destroying them.  Do you want to know why?

There is research that only 20% of a population needs to hold a view, for that view to become the new dominant one.  The mound dwellers allowing outsiders to come and go, would change their culture away from all the decadent horrors depicted, at least in time.

The result would be a very progressive culture, already sustaining a functioning public welfare system with fantastic levels of social tolerance.

Neat statistics, but the isolationism predates the advent even of immortality by a good distance, so that's a completely irrelevant point. Besides, I don't recall that the discussion was ever about what the k'n-yan could be - your claim was that the society as-is would be "really not that bad".

So since you're conceding the "decadent horrors", would you agree that the k'n-yan are, in fact, regardless of how they could change if it weren't for the fact that they apparently democratically chose not to, absolutely abhorrent?

You... Didn’t answer him, as far as I can tell. At this point, from what I can see, there’s some kind of disconnect between what you’re both saying.

You're quite correct. Every time I present something to which he has no legitimate counterpoint, he shifts the discussion; and if I restate the issue, he accuses me of begging the questions he's posing that have nothing to do with what I originally asked.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139977 on: November 10, 2018, 03:52:53 pm »

This is a Bay12 shitslinging argument. Calm, reasoned debate sprinkled with irritated pointing out of the opponent's argumentative shortcomings.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139978 on: November 10, 2018, 03:54:10 pm »

No, you are still begging the question.  Specifically, you are tailoring rhetorical questions such that the desired answer revolves around the people of k'nyan being absolute monsters.

This is indeed, begging the question.

You are quite correct that what you have been doing is reiterating your loaded questions, which again, have been--- BEGGING THE QUESTION.

Namely, that hte people of Kn'Yan are absolute monsters.

Shall we go around the merri-go-round again?

Again, historically--- we have cultures like Rome.  The Pax Romana is very important to western culture and society.  We would NOT be having this debate if it had not happened.  Dirty things in human history are indeed dirty, but that does NOT condemn the *ENTIRE* society to the grave of absolute depravity.

Again, Rome did the equivalent level of horror for its era.

And, you can thank them for things like elected government.

So no-- the premise of your questions is invalid.  The presence of horror in their society does not make them absolute evil.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139979 on: November 10, 2018, 03:56:10 pm »

Nvm
He's fucking with us.
Pages: 1 ... 9330 9331 [9332] 9333 9334 ... 11040