Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9316 9317 [9318] 9319 9320 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14537476 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #139755 on: November 06, 2018, 03:54:48 pm »

Wasn't there a thing like 'you eventually either are the common ancestor of every human, or none of them'?
I imagine people like Ragnar who got around (and whose name got their descendants around) probably have a higher shot at it.

That is very true, but I can track mine, and that makes all the difference :P
Love, scriver~

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #139756 on: November 06, 2018, 03:56:00 pm »

I can go back to late Elizabeth England to the Drinkmilke family. Thankfully the name was lost through marriage.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #139757 on: November 06, 2018, 03:58:53 pm »

I'm a historian, and written records are not mandatory for it to be history. Oral history is a thing.

The concept of pre-history in general is considered outdated in historiography.
"Prehistory" is just a word meaning "before written records in a given area", it doesn't have to be prejudicial. And it's still perfectly current in anthropology and archaeology.
It's also a perfectly healthy concept in history, given that I'm "an historian" also. You seem to be assuming that 'Prehistory' means 'absolute lack of sources even oral history'. That's not the case; it's just, as others have said, that the sources available aren't written records.
It's also important to note that a period in which we have no or very little sources is often known as a Dark Age, not prehistory.

My understanding was that history=we have written records (that we can understand and aren't mythology) and that pre-history=before then. Under this definition pre-history ends and history starts at different times in different places as actually writing factual stuff down on materials that last for long periods of time becomes a thing at different times in different places.

Yes, that is it. Swedish/Nordic pre-history is considered to end as Sweden leaves the iron age and enters medieval times, ca 10th-11th century. It also gets bonus points if the records are a people's own - eg Swedish history do not begin in 100 just because Tacitus wrote a one-liner description of some "suitones" guys in his book on Germanic tribes.

I'm a historian, and written records are not mandatory for it to be history. Oral history is a thing.

The concept of pre-history in general is considered outdated in historiography.

I find that highly conceited.
Why would it not be history, though? It's still history, even if it is lost to us. Your people's predecessors were not a bunch of animals before entering history thanks to finding the light of civilization. And what others have to say about you is still a source about you.

EDIT: Also, pleople please: historiography is a science and not "just my opinion". Reason I say this is because I'm facing that a lot in meatspace right now ("The Nazis were leftists! They had social in the name! Saying they were not is just your opinion!").
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 04:00:57 pm by Teneb »
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139758 on: November 06, 2018, 04:05:18 pm »

Not quite the case. A dark age is a period of time in which sources decline and then (typically) resurge again. There are sources before, after, and during. It's just that there are less sources in the "during" section than after or before. Even the capitalised "Dark Ages" are being reexamined as more historically rich than once supposed.

Prehistory is the period of time when there were either no written sources or so little as to amount to nothing. It's not a lull in the written historical record - it is a lack of one.

And history may be a science based on empirical research, but it is also highly interpretative. It's not merely your opinion, but it is not "truth" either. As a lecturer said recently, "all history is auto-biography." Our lives shape our interests, our bias in choosing sources, and ultimately our results. Objectivity is the ideal of historical studies, but it is never obtained.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 04:08:10 pm by Th4DwArfY1 »
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139759 on: November 06, 2018, 04:39:58 pm »

And history may be a science based on empirical research, but it is also highly interpretative. It's not merely your opinion, but it is not "truth" either. As a lecturer said recently, "all history is auto-biography." Our lives shape our interests, our bias in choosing sources, and ultimately our results. Objectivity is the ideal of historical studies, but it is never obtained.
I should've clarified it was not said in relation to the thread, more as a response to nazis being invoked. I am actually really pissed off that fascists are using that argument against me and others of my field CONSTANTLY that I failed to point it out. So I am sorry.

But yeah, there are schools of thought and interpretations. For instance, on the whole pre-history debate we just had.

FFS am I tilted with what's going on around me.

EDIT: One of the reasons prehistory is frowned upon by brazilian historians is because it is often used to erase particular groups from being studied. Like, say, the peoples of Africa before the Europeans showed up. Or the many amerindian cultures.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 04:41:55 pm by Teneb »
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #139760 on: November 06, 2018, 04:59:44 pm »

Well, Hitler.
I thought the dog was way before the bunker.

Also, it was mostly going to be nitpicking, as Nazis have been so far understood on here to be both white supremacist and authoritarian, and the removal of either of those make them not Nazis. Which would make freedom-loving american white supremacists... not Nazis?
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #139761 on: November 06, 2018, 05:03:50 pm »

Well, Hitler.

No, it was in the bunker. Hitler wanted to make sure the cyanide capsules he and Braun were about to use were fatal, and tested them on the dog. The rest of the dogs in the bunker were killed by gunshot to deny them to the enemy.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #139762 on: November 06, 2018, 05:41:30 pm »

All this talk about prehistory makes me recall an old DOS game called Prehistorik.
You basically play as a cave man hitting dinos with a wooden club.
Good times.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #139763 on: November 06, 2018, 06:01:15 pm »

Well, Hitler.

Also, it was mostly going to be nitpicking, as Nazis have been so far understood on here to be both white supremacist and authoritarian, and the removal of either of those make them not Nazis. Which would make freedom-loving american white supremacists... not Nazis?

They only want freedom for white males and more specifically, those who believe in white supremacy...

Which means they are Nazis, just Americanized Nazis.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #139764 on: November 06, 2018, 06:05:22 pm »

They only want freedom for white males and more specifically, those who believe in white supremacy...

There are totally white supremacists who think white people are better but want other races to have freedom, somewhere else. I've met at least one before. Online, of course, they aren't common enough to exist in real life.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139765 on: November 06, 2018, 06:07:42 pm »

So... segregationists?
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #139766 on: November 06, 2018, 06:08:23 pm »

So... segregationists?
Exactly! It's totally a thing that is different from Nazis.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #139767 on: November 06, 2018, 06:16:34 pm »

Just tell me where you live, and I'll go there to have a bowl of açaí, and discuss DF projects!
Bah, that stuff tastes like dirt!
Come over toma mate, tchê!

So... segregationists?
Exactly! It's totally a thing that is different from Nazis.

Wow, I am so not relieved.
In a time before time, I had a name.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #139768 on: November 06, 2018, 06:21:01 pm »

It's kinda tricky because the Nazis initially presented themselves as segregationists, and arguably didn't exactly stop.  At least in public.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139769 on: November 06, 2018, 06:22:12 pm »

There are totally white supremacists who think white people are better but want other races to have freedom, somewhere else. I've met at least one before. Online, of course, they aren't common enough to exist in real life.
One of my great-aunts was pretty much this, so they exist in real life. Or existed, since she's dead now.

Was pretty much the norm though. A lot of abolitionists wanted slavery gone not because they cared for non-whites, but because they thought slavery "tainted" the white soul. Lovely stuff all around, really.
Pages: 1 ... 9316 9317 [9318] 9319 9320 ... 11037