Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9315 9316 [9317] 9318 9319 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14534537 times)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #139740 on: November 06, 2018, 12:17:06 pm »

I just realized that because of me being able to track my bloodline back to Harald Bluetooth, that makes me able to, if we take the stories as true, track it even further to Hardknot Sigurdsson, his semi-legendary father Sigurd-Worm-In-The-Eye, and his mythical father Ragnar Lodbrok himself.

Which means I can literally track my bloodline back into pre-historic times.

Edit: wrote the wrong patronym, mean sigurdsson, not Ragnarsson
Even putting aside what is pre-history... that's not pre-historic by any definition.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #139741 on: November 06, 2018, 12:20:26 pm »

It is pre-historic by the exact definition
Love, scriver~

GPeter

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate forum poster.
    • View Profile
« Reply #139742 on: November 06, 2018, 12:30:08 pm »

[...]now I want to learn an asian language (Japanese). That makes it incredibly difficult, even though people have been telling me that Japanese is relatively easy.[...]
Nice! I am also a native Portuguese speaker that learned English, is learning Japanese and loves Dwarf Fortress! We should totally, like, hang out or something m8.

Just tell me where you live, and I'll go there to have a bowl of açaí, and discuss DF projects!
Yeah, there's plenty of information out there, but you don't need that information to form an opinion and then defend it to the death.
Hey, don't be like that. Your life never had any meaning in the first place!

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #139743 on: November 06, 2018, 02:29:13 pm »

I heave açaí when I am disappointed.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139744 on: November 06, 2018, 02:45:49 pm »

It is pre-historic by the exact definition
If all of history is history, then there is no pre-history unless you count things that happened before existance existed.

But in any case, the 9th century is not pre-history.
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139745 on: November 06, 2018, 02:59:36 pm »

My understanding was that history=we have written records (that we can understand and aren't mythology) and that pre-history=before then. Under this definition pre-history ends and history starts at different times in different places as actually writing factual stuff down on materials that last for long periods of time becomes a thing at different times in different places.

And, afaik, the nordic people that time didn't really leave enough written records about actual events to count as history. Or at least any written records that survived. If I recall we have an oral history that was written down a few hundred years later. Which means for that area pre-history goes surprisingly late at least compared to the rest of Europe.

Maybe though? I'm not a historian, grain of salt for shit you read on the internet.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 03:01:26 pm by Criptfeind »

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139746 on: November 06, 2018, 03:03:33 pm »

My understanding was that history=we have written records (that we can understand and aren't mythology) and that pre-history=before then. Under this definition pre-history ends and history starts at different times in different places as actually writing factual stuff down on materials that last for long periods of time becomes a thing at different times in different places.

And, afaik, the nordic people that time didn't really leave enough written records about actual events to count as history. Or at least any written records that survived. If I recall we have an oral history that was written down a few hundred years later. Which means for that area pre-history goes surprisingly late at least compared to the rest of Europe.

Maybe though? I'm not a historian, grain of salt for shit you read on the internet.
I'm a historian, and written records are not mandatory for it to be history. Oral history is a thing.

The concept of pre-history in general is considered outdated in historiography.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #139747 on: November 06, 2018, 03:07:13 pm »

But in any case, the 9th century is not pre-history.
The past was called theirstory until the lizards seized the means of means of book production, culminating in them putting a backdoor in the gutenberg press and every printer since.

PC Load Letter is the filter glitching on ideas too close to the truth.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139748 on: November 06, 2018, 03:08:47 pm »

Well, that's cool. TIL I guess.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #139749 on: November 06, 2018, 03:16:08 pm »

I'm a historian, and written records are not mandatory for it to be history. Oral history is a thing.

"Prehistory" is just a word meaning "before written records in a given area", it doesn't have to be prejudicial. And it's still perfectly current in anthropology and archaeology.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #139750 on: November 06, 2018, 03:16:19 pm »

Dont be silly.  PC LOAD LETTER means that the printer thinks it does not have letter size paper in the tray.

What the printer REALLY does to suppress undesirable media being produced with it, is interject unique patterns of light yellow dots into it so that it can tattle on who did the printing, where, and when.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machine_Identification_Code

We now return to the Lizard Overlord sponsored discussion.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #139751 on: November 06, 2018, 03:23:33 pm »

Yes, that is it. Swedish/Nordic pre-history is considered to end as Sweden leaves the iron age and enters medieval times, ca 10th-11th century. It also gets bonus points if the records are a people's own - eg Swedish history do not begin in 100 just because Tacitus wrote a one-liner description of some "suitones" guys in his book on Germanic tribes.

I find that highly conceited.
Love, scriver~

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #139752 on: November 06, 2018, 03:38:08 pm »

"Prehistory" is just a word meaning "before written records in a given area", it doesn't have to be prejudicial. And it's still perfectly current in anthropology and archaeology.
It's also a perfectly healthy concept in history, given that I'm "an historian" also. You seem to be assuming that 'Prehistory' means 'absolute lack of sources even oral history'. That's not the case; it's just, as others have said, that the sources available aren't written records.

Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #139753 on: November 06, 2018, 03:39:39 pm »

Wasn't there a thing like 'you eventually either are the common ancestor of every human, or none of them'?
I imagine people like Ragnar who got around (and whose name got their descendants around) probably have a higher shot at it.

Also old topic but I kind of missed the chance to talk about Nazis.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #139754 on: November 06, 2018, 03:52:07 pm »

Well your desire to discuss Nazis obviously makes you literally Hitler.

I mean it, literally Hitler. Go find a bunker and kill your dog because that makes sense.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.
Pages: 1 ... 9315 9316 [9317] 9318 9319 ... 11037