Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8527 8528 [8529] 8530 8531 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14530311 times)

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #127920 on: October 22, 2017, 08:45:19 pm »

Quote from: the Catholic Catechism
God predestines no one to go to hell, for this, a willful turning away from God (a mortal sin) is necessary, and persistence in it until the end.
And thus ceases today's five minutes of Catholic apologetics.
You can't have the Holocaust without Gott Mit Uns
Wait, what? Gott mit uns is an old Prussian abuse of religion for the legitimization of warfare, present since the Napoleonic days. I really don't see what it has to do with the Holocaust.
Might be a media division. In English media "gott mit uns" is most known for having been on SS belt-buckles. I've certainly referenced and seen it referenced as shorthand for the Nazis being confident in their genocide due to divine endorsement many a time.
A lot of random German has Nazi connotations in English. for example Anschluss just means something like connection. also the skull and cross bones thing was from before them too. they just co opted a lot of stuff.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #127921 on: October 22, 2017, 09:24:57 pm »

@Reelya: You do understand that Evangelion is a fairly obscure series in America, yes?
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127922 on: October 22, 2017, 09:29:09 pm »

And the other stuff we talk about isn't ... ?

DF is more obscure than NGE or any of the series I mentioned. Yet here we are.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #127923 on: October 22, 2017, 09:30:25 pm »

What? People have not heard of evangelion?!

(and to think, the movie promo I saw when I went to see the bladerunner movie-- the first thing I thought was "I hope the japanese dont find out hollywood made a blatant rip off of Evangeliion...")

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127924 on: October 22, 2017, 09:36:55 pm »

To be honest ... I'm not sure the Japanese would see it that way at all.

The west really only knows Evangelion in mecha (though depends on age, it was Robotech before that), so all mecha shows are compared to Evangelion. The Japanese however are comparing that to the 257 other mecha shows / movies that they know about. So "big robot" tropes or cities being destroyed might not automatically scream "Evangelion" to them.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 09:57:53 pm by Reelya »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127925 on: October 22, 2017, 09:43:33 pm »

It was more "Big robots piloted by edgy young people with neuroses doing battle against giant alien monsters"

which, while technically also true of Robotech, this incarnation is much more like Evangelion.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127926 on: October 22, 2017, 09:48:16 pm »

It was more "Big robots piloted by edgy young people with neuroses doing battle against giant alien monsters"

which, while technically also true of Robotech, this incarnation is much more like Evangelion.

Yeah that would be plausible except Guillermo del Toro says he'd seen basically everything except Eva:

I haven't seen Evangelion. I accept you Patlabor, [as an influence] from anime industry, or, Tetsujin-28, I don't have any problem saying 'I love them', 'they're an influence for me'. Regarding Evangelion, I have the DVDs, I haven't opened them, I haven't seen it. Yeah, there is anime influence in Pacific Rim, but not from that anime in particular

This is understandable since Spanish speakers got a whole different bunch of shows on TV that are obscure in English nations, so they're household names there while they're aren't to English speakers. Also del Toro is 53, so it makes sense that he knows all about anime from the 80s (because those things aired in Spanish). NGE was also only dubbed to English and aired on Toonami in 2005. So nearly nobody in the West was watching that longer than 12 years ago. People just think everything is NGE-related since NGE came out in 2005 in USA so it's "current".
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 09:55:33 pm by Reelya »

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #127927 on: October 23, 2017, 12:39:39 am »

I don't think Pacific Rim is similar to Evangelion.  Its like comparing low fantasy and high fantasy.  Purely in terms of story, Pacific Rim is grounded and safe to the point of a fault.  Whereas Evangelion is wild and genre-breaking to the point of a fault.  In terms of the mecha battles Pacific Rim is very large and heavy and tactile.  Whereas Evangelion features more agile mechs and is high tech to the point of technobabble.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127928 on: October 23, 2017, 12:51:23 am »

I have definitely heard of Evangelion before, and I don't think it was only on Bay12, either. I do have at least a couple of social media friends with weeb tendencies, I suppose.

My wtf: my job agency sent me a last-minute reminder yesterday, about an appointment I apparently had this morning which I had not heard anything about beforehand.
They hadn't mentioned it to me in person during one of my regular appointments, hadn't sent me a letter about it, nothing. And it was early enough in the morning that I would have struggled to get there on time, considering I live quite a distance from their office.

So, I slept in 'til 1pm or so (thanks to staying up really late reading graphic novels for some reason) and gave them a call about it, explaining that I had only received the notification on the day of the appointment. Turns out, the person who was apparently running this session (some sort of retarded employability workshop, I think - an absolute waste of time in other words) didn't show up today anyway, and the session was cancelled.

So... they didn't notify me of that cancellation, either. They would have quite happily had me trek all the way out there by train, wasting fare money in the process, just to tell me my appointment wasn't cancelled. Sweet baby Jesus these people are useless. Either that or they enjoy maliciously wasting their clients' time... probably both.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127929 on: October 23, 2017, 01:57:34 am »

What is the point you are supposed to be arguing? (out of curiosity)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127930 on: October 23, 2017, 02:44:50 am »

Try detraction refutation instead.

:P

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127931 on: October 23, 2017, 03:15:44 am »

Instead of focusing on proving your point, focus on proving the counterpoints wrong.

EG, instead of trying to bury people under a data dump to prove the points about ecological harm, undermine the detractors, leaving your position as the last one standing.

See for instance, this nice page about neonicotinoids.
https://www.centerforfoodsafety.org/issues/304/pollinators-and-pesticides/mythbusting

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #127932 on: October 23, 2017, 03:40:22 am »

Yeah, you should be ok if you cover the arguments against your point and why they're WRONG as well as your own. I don't know how to write science essays, but dialectic (One side then the other then a kinda synthesis) structure is always good.
One wheel short of a wagon

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127933 on: October 23, 2017, 04:30:49 am »

I have definitely heard of Evangelion before

No offense, but this all reads exactly like someone who's knowledge of metal is that they've "heard of Metallica" lecturing about how there's no good metal bands.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 05:33:04 am by Reelya »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127934 on: October 23, 2017, 04:52:04 am »

What are you talking about? I said that in response to someone calling Evangelion "fairly obscure".

That argument doesn't work at all, in any case - it's not like I refuse to look at the various example images people throw my way in an effort to show me the "wide variety" encompassed by anime. :))
...But I feel like we've been over this at least a couple of times recently already.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.
Pages: 1 ... 8527 8528 [8529] 8530 8531 ... 11037