Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8529 8530 [8531] 8532 8533 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14528996 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #127950 on: October 24, 2017, 02:52:51 am »

If it is sponsored, sue whoever is running it.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #127951 on: October 24, 2017, 05:49:01 am »

Its idaho (spokane is in washington), and management is considering that it sounds like.

Also, ive been feeling like everyone who told me as a kid to get 8 hours of sleep and 20 minutes excercise was lying, because it turns out the opposite is happening lately
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #127952 on: October 24, 2017, 05:54:49 am »

No, I am useless if I dont get the 8hrs sleep.  The fact that people in the US are chronically underslept is the source of a huge raft of health problems, and corporate america just frankly does not give a fuck.

If you can get the 8hrs, get the 8hrs.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #127953 on: October 24, 2017, 07:05:33 am »

The adults when you were a kid lived in a non-dystopia where basic human needs are respected, that's why.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127954 on: October 24, 2017, 07:35:46 am »

Haha... ha... looks like after having all day to get things done I will be doing it all in a last-minute scramble after all. Great work, self, this sort of thing is why we hate you. ::)
Hopefully I can get this shit done quickly enough that I can find time for a bit of sleep before I rush off to catch an early flight tomorrow.

Speaking of sleep, yes, it is much more important than many realise. I went for years living with a pretty much non-existent sleep schedule. I thought I felt fine, I laughed at the idea of 8 hours sleep a night .
I fully subscribed to that whole, foolhardy "sleep is for the week" mindset.

Then, one day, I moved out, to live with a bunch of strangers.
One of the many strange, alien aspects of this move was that my new housemates tended to hit the sack at what seemed, to me, a ridiculously early hour.
Coming from a family of unrepentant night owls, I found myself suddenly having to keep quiet during the night time hours lest I risk waking the house's slumbering occupants and get well-and-truly off on the wrong foot.

So, before long I simply started going to bed shortly after everyone else did. I can't remember exactly how it went or felt at first (I wasn't consciously trying to improve my sleeping patterns, after all), but before long I found, to my shock, that I had all this energy and enthusiasm that I could not remember ever having felt before.

After a while I realised, with a growing sense of wonder, that this was actually how it felt to not be tired. So many of my numerous difficulties, as I shuffled through life in a variety of moods ranging from apathy to irrational terror, were not simply the way I was - they were caused, or at least exacerbated, by lack of sleep.

Since those days I have experimented further with the magical properties of sleep, and discovered it to be exceptionally powerful.
Perhaps its effects begin to seemingly lessen after keeping up a schedule for a while, due to that healthiness becoming the norm, but after a few solid, all-night binges and/or parties leave you feeling permazonked, by golly resetting your sleep pattern feels like a religious experience.

...Damn, this post took a loooong time to type on this phone. Hopefully it makes sense, I don't have time to proofread.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127955 on: October 24, 2017, 08:16:27 am »

Reminds me of something on a Ted talk, it was talking about how "boredom" is in fact an important emotion that exists for a reason - being bored makes people get up and want to do something interesting. Very important thing for human history and human development, in fact, and not the pain in the ass we normally think of boredom as being about. If you do jack shit for too long you start to get the urge to do stuff. So things get done. This is not an accidental mechanism, it's an evolved mechanism.

Well, a second Ted talk was talking about timeouts from mobile phone use for kids. Now you have a generation who are coming up who've never not had a screen to look at or a device to poke. Permanent non-boredom. Well, one thing that at least a few people have noticed is that you take these kids phones away even for a little while and they report feeling strange emotions that they've never felt before. e.g. they've never experienced boredom because they have devices which deliver constant stimulation, things which are constantly responsive. And who knows what other normal emotions are mixed up in those emotions that people who have been 100% phone dependent since they were in kindergarten (if you give a toddler a phone, as some people actually do) say they've never felt?

It's a worry actually what that's doing to their mental wellbeing.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 08:27:21 am by Reelya »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127956 on: October 24, 2017, 09:09:00 am »

Last night we had like 50 ish people come into the store on a scavenger hunt for $100 somebody left. Apparently this is state sponsored or some shit but these guys really just made a huge mess of the isle id been trying to face, and the entire store. Someone eventually found it hidden behind some cold meds on the med isle. They didnt even buy anything, its a bunch of broke ass fuckers running around looking for cash in someone elses store just making a mess of the place.

Wish id been stocking that isle, maybe i would have found ot and they could get out sooner

Purportedly in Spokane the same program got a bunch of people outside some building looking for money hidden in the bushes. Collectively they destroyed their shrubbery. Why the fuck does this exist

I've heard of that hidden 100 dollar bill thing, but I thought it was more of an internet fad thing sponsored by someone, not the local government.

Sounds like something with good intentions, but massive unintended consequences.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127957 on: October 24, 2017, 09:55:59 am »

good intentions? getting people to fight over money ... smh. They'd have to be insane to think they're doing a good thing by getting hordes of people to fight over $100 dollar bills.

More like laughing at the braying mob: "fight my lovelies, fight, teeheehee". Think about the sense of superiority one would get from throwing out some money then seeing other people going crazy fighting over the scraps.

It would be like if someone was to get hobos to fight over food then saying it's to be "charitable". Any sense of helping others is a smokescreen for the pure trollishness of the whole thing.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 09:58:25 am by Reelya »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127958 on: October 24, 2017, 10:01:26 am »

Well, if it really is the local/state government, then it just shows how blind they are to reality or something.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #127959 on: October 24, 2017, 12:04:33 pm »

Im not sure it even is sponsored, thats just the rumor i heard.

Anyway, i know i need to sleep now because i tried to turn off the sun with the lightswitch in my room. If only it could work
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #127960 on: October 24, 2017, 12:27:47 pm »

If only you could kill everything on earth by depriving it of its only source of energy?

I'd make some snarky remark along the lines of "Your mental state is definitely just fine, stay up", but switching off the sun doesn't sound like a half-bad idea to me, given the way things are going...

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #127961 on: October 24, 2017, 01:46:14 pm »

I bought a pair of white cotton gloves for a Halloween costume. On the package reads "Not suitable for minors of 14 years". Does that mean it's suitable for children who are 13 or younger, or 15 or older, or who are 14 but don't count as minors? And why are gloves age-restricted anyway?
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #127962 on: October 24, 2017, 03:21:43 pm »

Maybe they're using "minor" in a broader, less official sense of the term.

As for the age restriction...

Maybe a 14-year old put the glove over his face and suffocated?

That's the sort of thing that causes those warnings to be put up in the first place, right?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127963 on: October 24, 2017, 03:27:47 pm »

That is certainly a wierd thing to have an age restriction on.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #127964 on: October 24, 2017, 07:38:14 pm »

Michael Bay is directing a live-action Dora the Explorer movie.

This is not a joke.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.
Pages: 1 ... 8529 8530 [8531] 8532 8533 ... 11037