Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8053 8054 [8055] 8056 8057 ... 11038

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14549271 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #120810 on: April 14, 2017, 12:38:23 am »

Förgrymmmade, fjompiga fjord-fjuniga fjantiga fjolla!

You and yer hard to pronounce things.   Like Fjords.  How does one even make a fj sound.
"Fjord" is of Norse origin, not Finno-Ugric :v
I'm an american, my ignorance is allowed due to being the ones who invented Resses cups.

An amusing story, the Finno-Urgic languages. It is spoken by the Finns, the Estonians and the Hungarians (oddly enough). Believe you me, I rather like it, but I simply cannot dechypher Finnish, and Hungarian is a hopeless struggle from the start.

An illustration of languages in Europe, starring balls:

Caution! Big Image!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Of course, there's a bunch of fenno-uric languages outside /on the border of Europe. And don't forget the Sami and Komi and those languages too.
Love, scriver~

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #120811 on: April 14, 2017, 04:41:31 am »

Finnish hasn't actualy had a full written dictionary of words until rather recently, too. The finno-ugric language branch has always been very mysterious, to the point nobody can definitely point the actual origin for it. To this day, the language spoken in some parts of finland is still really hard to understand even for the finnish themselves, like in some parts of Savo, supposedly.

Err... the Finnish written language started being codified in the 16th century, and the first dictionaries are from the 17th century. We appear to have radically different interpretations of 'rather recently'. Written Finnish was neglected, of course - the Swedish-speaking elites and government tyranny saw no reason to encourage the peasant rabble's common tongue.

The Savo dialect is about as difficult as any rural dialect in any language. I can't really say for the mysteriousness of Finno-Ugric - AFAIK it originated from out there in the direction of Siberia, as evidenced by the lots of Finno-Ugric minority languages in what's now Russia.

Why the Hungarians wandered off so far south is a mystery. The languages are not very similar anymore to the layman. They must be so lonely.

Dont be silly. Finland (and Norway to an extent) are populated with nordic superhumans. Things like "the cold" are easily defeated with a suitable beverage for them. ;P

/joke

What do you mean, 'joke'? It's just the truth. I'm not sure why you specified 'Finland and Norway', but I rather like you left Sweden out of this grouping.

Förgrymmmade, fjompiga fjord-fjuniga fjantiga fjolla!

An illustration of languages in Europe, starring balls:
-snip-

Vesihiisi sihisi hississä right back atcha, buddy.

Is that Basque among the Romances? Basque is the real mystery of European languages - it's not related to any other living languages in Europe or beyond. How did it end up there and survive for so long? Where did it come from? What are they hiding from us?
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #120812 on: April 14, 2017, 05:18:58 am »

As far as I can figure out Basqueball is saying something (in very broken Basque) "hi, there is no other language so stupidly hard to understand".

As I said, it's pretty broken and I'm not very fluent to begin with (I'm somewhat alienated -culturally speaking-, something I've come to regret in the last few years) so it's inaccurate'ish, but I think it's not off the writer's intrntion
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 05:21:19 am by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #120813 on: April 14, 2017, 05:30:34 am »

I wish I knew more European history pre-WWI. Right now I'm hearing the story of America's involvement in World War 2 for like the fourth time, just counting formal education, and its like uuugh something else please

That said, even missing 90% of the jokes, I still find Polandball hilarious.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #120814 on: April 14, 2017, 05:41:18 am »

As far as I know the Hungarians ended up there because the ugric Magyar was either subjugated and/or displaced by the Huns and migrated en masse southwards and eventually settled in that area. But I base my knowledge of the time largely on vidya games, so my sources is silly.

Also Basque isn't marked as a Romance area, it's as green as Wales.

As far as I can figure out Basqueball is saying something (in very broken Basque) "hi, there is no other language so stupidly hard to understand".

As I said, it's pretty broken and I'm not very fluent to begin with (I'm somewhat alienated -culturally speaking-, something I've come to regret in the last few years) so it's inaccurate'ish, but I think it's not off the writer's intrntion

Boo! Keep the language alive! Raven! Oak! Redhats!
Love, scriver~

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #120815 on: April 14, 2017, 07:01:55 am »

Finnish hasn't actualy had a full written dictionary of words until rather recently, too. The finno-ugric language branch has always been very mysterious, to the point nobody can definitely point the actual origin for it. To this day, the language spoken in some parts of finland is still really hard to understand even for the finnish themselves, like in some parts of Savo, supposedly.

English speakers from the remote rural parts are frikkin hard for English speakers to understand. I think that's more of a widespread thing than you think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScELaXMCVis

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #120816 on: April 14, 2017, 07:29:02 am »

That's universal for all languages. I can barely understand Andalusians speaking quickly
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #120817 on: April 14, 2017, 09:13:21 am »

Somehow after an entire day sitting around, eating semi-junk food and trying not to die of boredom, I am do 1AM stuff. 
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #120818 on: April 14, 2017, 09:21:20 am »

I want to sit on a lartle thriliged steel too now, after rewatching the video.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #120819 on: April 14, 2017, 09:23:38 am »

And there's Basque, that wierd isolate which isn't even on the Indo-European branch, or any other known surviving branch. Rather, it's believed to be the only survivor of a language branch that existed in Europe before the Indo-European branch(es) took over.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #120820 on: April 14, 2017, 09:49:56 am »

I wish I knew more European history pre-WWI. Right now I'm hearing the story of America's involvement in World War 2 for like the fourth time, just counting formal education, and its like uuugh something else please

Play some Paradox games or something
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #120821 on: April 14, 2017, 09:56:44 am »

And there's Basque, that wierd isolate which isn't even on the Indo-European branch, or any other known surviving branch. Rather, it's believed to be the only survivor of a language branch that existed in Europe before the Indo-European branch(es) took over.

Leave me out of this! I am not responsible for Basque languages!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #120822 on: April 14, 2017, 10:00:53 am »

Play some Paradox games or something

Hetalia is a better source of European history.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #120823 on: April 14, 2017, 10:54:27 am »

Total War and Paradox titles. The sources of 98% of my historical knowledge.
Love, scriver~

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #120824 on: April 14, 2017, 11:12:00 am »

Why the Hungarians wandered off so far south is a mystery.
They were simply too awesome to stay in one place.

Total War and Paradox titles. The sources of 98% of my historical knowledge.
It's certainly 98% of my geographic knowledge.
._.
Pages: 1 ... 8053 8054 [8055] 8056 8057 ... 11038