Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8020 8021 [8022] 8023 8024 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14529587 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #120315 on: April 04, 2017, 10:57:26 am »

General Order 24 of the original series is pretty much the source of it all. Its a special fleet command order to a federation starship to destroy a planet. Apparently all startship tier federation vessels have that kind of destructive potential.

EDIT: the episode in which the order is given is called "A Taste of Armageddon"

MIND YOU! "Destroy a Planet" has a lot of connotations (From destroy all life to shatter it)

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #120316 on: April 04, 2017, 11:39:25 am »

@Greiger

Phaser Rifles appear in a few movies and episodes (although, like most hand phasers, they have no sights and would be impossible to aim), while sometime in Deep Space 9 actually decent rifle-type weapons showed up during the Dominion War arc.
While I'm not really well-versed in Star Trek history, I'm fairly sure that high-tech weaponry of 23st century would probably use AI algorithms for target acquisition. Which could explain the lack of sights.
._.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #120317 on: April 04, 2017, 11:45:24 am »

Hell, with a specialized narrow AI and some gyroscopes, you could literally make auto-aim a real thing.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #120318 on: April 04, 2017, 11:59:14 am »

Huh, is sour milk common in Sweden? I've never actually run into it before other than dikmelk/amasi here, which is how the Nguni folk prefer to consume it.

Yeah, it's very common here. But surely you have run into at least sour cream or yoghurt before? :P

Oh, I've run into yoghurt and sour cream. I'd just never actually heard of another country with a serious liking for amasi. :P

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #120319 on: April 04, 2017, 12:03:38 pm »

You could probably extend that to chlorine gas and then nukes.

I hope the thing that's better than nukes at killing people doesn't come soon.
I mean... if you're after specifically killing people I'm pretty sure there's a number of things that fit the bill, particularly from a cost/death ratio. Tailored disease of one sort or another's probably your best bet, something along those lines... they tend to not be considered largely due to the possibility of it turning blue on blue, but if you don't care about that, well. Also probably get better results from an intentionally dirty nuke than your normal one, too, or leveraging the possible EMP effect. Takes more time, but the body to nuke ratio'd likely be better from a mass murder standpoint. Maybe hitting somewhere that's an environmental lynchpin... be interesting to know if anyone's plotted the requirements to forcibly release atmosphere-influencing amounts of trapped methane or somethin'. Seem to remember some last ditch geoengineering plans to lower temperatures that might manage better than nukes would, too. Depends on what you call better, basically.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #120320 on: April 04, 2017, 12:23:05 pm »

I mean... if you're after specifically killing people I'm pretty sure there's a number of things that fit the bill, particularly from a cost/death ratio. Tailored disease of one sort or another's probably your best bet, something along those lines... they tend to not be considered largely due to the possibility of it turning blue on blue, but if you don't care about that, well. Also probably get better results from an intentionally dirty nuke than your normal one, too, or leveraging the possible EMP effect. Takes more time, but the body to nuke ratio'd likely be better from a mass murder standpoint. Maybe hitting somewhere that's an environmental lynchpin... be interesting to know if anyone's plotted the requirements to forcibly release atmosphere-influencing amounts of trapped methane or somethin'. Seem to remember some last ditch geoengineering plans to lower temperatures that might manage better than nukes would, too. Depends on what you call better, basically.

In my experience complete magma coverage works wonders.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #120321 on: April 04, 2017, 12:30:13 pm »

Nukes and whatnot work on a different scale than guns. They really don't cover the same topic.

Guns worked as a replacement for arrows because it fulfilled the same roll. Projection of personal force.

Nukes are a projection of national force. There is nothing personal about them.

That's why we have both nukes and guns in common use, because they fulfill different roles.

A continuation from guns would have to be a more effective means of personal force projection.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #120322 on: April 04, 2017, 12:32:08 pm »

I am not sure... you can seriously denote Nukes as "Common use"

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #120323 on: April 04, 2017, 12:38:31 pm »

"Yep, hand to hand combat is the old school way to kill your foes. It dates back to the honored tradition when combatants respected one another. Killing a man with your bare hands says, "We're all equals as men, except I'm slightly more equal cause I'm still alive and your dead." Of course dropping a nuke them for 50,000 ft is also totally acceptable. I mean lets face it. There's just not enough time in this busy world to show everyone the courtesy of a good strangling. "
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #120324 on: April 04, 2017, 01:21:10 pm »

Phasers are excellent weapons.  Their damage is adjustable from stun to "melt/blast solid rock", which even happens in TOS.
They have no recoil and can fire continuously, briefly, allowing one to adjust aim or simply focus down a particularly hard target.  Warning, surprisingly graphic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Q5EXhJzdec
They're compact and light, even the rifles. 
They can be reloaded with power packs, but it only comes up in extended missions.  They clearly have a very high capacity.
They're even repurpose-able as smart mines or grenades, with fairly dramatic yield.

Named characters and villains have super dodging powers, but that doesn't mean the weapons are bad.  And when a phaser does hit, it usually does what it's meant to.  Some aliens have strange biologies, but even battle-ready Klingons get cut down in the DS9 war.  Cases where people shrug off "lethal" phaser blasts are due to mid-level settings, or pure narrative fiat.  Again, "explode rock walls" mode is a thing.

As for guns, and I don't know if this actually gets addressed, but Federation ships have very effective force field technology through their halls.  They dynamically patch the hull with them.  Intruders armed with energy weapons can blast through (reference:  boarders are ever a threat whatsoever), but what good is a handheld gun against something that accurately repels hi-v particles while containing atmosphere?  Sounds like a great way to shoot yourself.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #120325 on: April 04, 2017, 02:33:42 pm »

Do you want me to find episodes where someone took a kill shot center mass and was kind of hurt? or took a stun shot center mass... and was not stunned?

I was asking TempAcc about the 'destroying whole biospheres' thing as I'm not aware of one.

General Order 24 of the original series is pretty much the source of it all. Its a special fleet command order to a federation starship to destroy a planet. Apparently all startship tier federation vessels have that kind of destructive potential.

EDIT: the episode in which the order is given is called "A Taste of Armageddon"

*looks at wikipedia on it*

Given that it was Captian Kirk that did it, it could have been a bluff on his part and never REALLY intended to do it in full.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #120326 on: April 04, 2017, 02:43:24 pm »

Omega directive.

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Omega_Directive

Very specific invocation, but when found, a starfleet capt must do whatever it takes to destroy the source of the particles. I would presume this includes destroying whole planets, if needed.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #120327 on: April 04, 2017, 02:51:32 pm »

Omega directive.

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Omega_Directive

Very specific invocation, but when found, a starfleet capt must do whatever it takes to destroy the source of the particles. I would presume this includes destroying whole planets, if needed.

These Omega Molecules sound like some sort of unobtanium, plus a convulted plot device, and/or something like the Ultimate Weapon or the Ultimate Power Source.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 02:53:42 pm by smjjames »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #120328 on: April 04, 2017, 02:55:45 pm »

I did say it was a very specific invocation, did I not?

It was basically the result of hamfisted writers looking for an out on the prime directive, but it is what it is.  Under very specific circumstances, federation vessels hold no quarter, and will stop at nothing short of complete removal of the threat.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #120329 on: April 04, 2017, 05:10:55 pm »

One of the supervisors who got mad at my frustration at the gross incompetence of the pricers(as opposed to said gross incompetence) last week was complaining about the gross incompetence of the pricers today.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.
Pages: 1 ... 8020 8021 [8022] 8023 8024 ... 11037