Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7570 7571 [7572] 7573 7574 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14462669 times)

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #113565 on: November 15, 2016, 03:18:14 am »

Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #113566 on: November 15, 2016, 03:20:11 am »

No matter what happens, no matter how bored I get or what secrets I learn about life and the universe, I will never, ever understand Elona.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #113567 on: November 15, 2016, 03:30:22 am »

All you need to understand is boiled little girl egg.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113568 on: November 15, 2016, 03:32:31 am »

DEAR FREEKEN GOODNESS!!! Thank you current show I am watching!

Been watching Police Procedurals for years and the one thing that has been utterly deplorable in all modern police procedurals is they treat a simple thing like DUE PROCESS like it was created to let criminals go free... So they break every single law, bend it to unconstitutional levels, or harass suspects. It is why I HATE modern Law and Order.

Which would be fine if these shows were self aware and the fact that they are butchering justice in order to serve their sense of justice or were breaking the law for their idea of the greater good. But no they are treated as the big heroes and the justice system as something people just need to maneuver around.

This show?  They have a stack of evidence against him but none of it is conclusive... the main character is even "Lets just raid his house!" and no one lets her do it.

Mind you they did it more on "But the scandal!" grounds... But I'll take what I can freeken get!

---

The other issue with police procedurals... but mostly with CSI... Is they like to pick minorities, fringe cultures, and people who aren't well understood... And turn them into the villains.

Basically all the logic that goes into racism on display... without the actual racism.

To admit though... That is also the more hilarious part. The episodes on Videogames can be considered hilarious! I love how in one the villain was a girl who just wanted to be one of the guys and prove she could do it too.

Because as you know... Women don't play videogames. They are as rare as a celestial unicorn.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 03:38:06 am by Neonivek »

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113569 on: November 15, 2016, 03:35:05 am »

What show is that?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113570 on: November 15, 2016, 03:42:20 am »

What show is that?

BOSS... Another Japanese Drama (I kept hearing how good it was... and... I am not really convinced)

But as I said. I'll take what I can get... I am tired of deplorable police procedurals in spite of the fact that I love that genre.

---

I will say for anyone who wants to get into Japanese television...

The Japanese LOOOOVE Melodrama. It is why I think their shows work better when they aren't trying to be too too serious.

It REALLY doesn't help this series about serial killers and rapists.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #113571 on: November 15, 2016, 09:54:35 am »

More likely it was bile, rather than blood.

That being said... yeah. As far as woo woo goes, that's crazier than usual.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #113572 on: November 15, 2016, 10:19:05 am »

*shrug* Bile can be pretty dark. I can see someone describing it as black-ish.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113573 on: November 15, 2016, 10:22:29 am »

If the singularity happened and Steve the God Machine was like 'Hey, so humans are a danger to themselves, and more importantly, me. So their population needs to drop by about 60% for sustainability', I'd frankly be cool with it. Not least because I live in a very underpopulated country.
1) Tack has unironically endorsed mass genocide of the human race by a computer overlord.
2) I am also suprisingly okay with this.
Any halfway decent machine overlord could simultaneously protect the environment writ large and the human race with a number of non-genocidal strategies considering even I can think of them, but I guess that's the whole problem with machine overlords.
What's important to me is that a Human overlord doesn't make that decision.
If anything is deciding to decimate (heh) the human race, there needs to be a whole lot of cold logic and algorithms behind the process.
Not saying that'll comfort me when that process inevitably swings to bear upon me, but hey, rose tinted glasses.

But if Steve went 'Hmm, I think I can maximise efficiency by just getting rid of all this green stuff altogether and turning the world into a factory', that would cause me some concerns.
I am ok with turning Earth into Coruscant if it actually works and doesn't lead to complete collapse in every sense of the phrase: institutional, societal, social, mental, engineering, environmental, pandemic, infestation, etc. God machine guy wants to get rid of the green? Tell him to grab some seed copies for research purposes first and I'll give him the green (heh) light.
Ah. I see the issue.
When I said 'strip away the green', I was alluding to 'all organic life'.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 10:26:18 am by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #113574 on: November 15, 2016, 10:24:00 am »

*shrug* Bile can be pretty dark. I can see someone describing it as black-ish.
I'm no medical expert, but I do know that Hippocrates counted black bile amongst the humours.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #113575 on: November 15, 2016, 10:26:00 am »

Pretty sure bile is a greenish-yellow, not black.

EDIT: Scratch that, I know it is. The last time my dad was taken into hospital with an infection he was vomiting up yellow gunk after he managed to empty his stomach.

EDIT2:
Quote from: BBC article
She said the end of the first sessions saw "large areas of my body... bruised and blue which indicated that a lot of 'sha' or poisoned blood and toxins had been released".

She also described vomiting "the most horrible syrupy black stuff" and suffering painful seizures, but said it improved her blood sugar readings and she planned to attend more group workshops.

Four humours, blood, phleghm, yellow bile, black bile- so there is such a thing, as clearly indicated by ancient 'medical' science that is now thoroughly debunked. Obviously the treatment was effective, though it's a rather novel breakthrough for a chinese 'treatment' to be so effective at purging the subject's excess of black bile.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #113576 on: November 15, 2016, 10:29:39 am »

Assuming she had a bad case of life, then yes, the treatment was effective at curing her.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #113577 on: November 15, 2016, 11:03:53 am »

If the singularity happened and Steve the God Machine was like 'Hey, so humans are a danger to themselves, and more importantly, me. So their population needs to drop by about 60% for sustainability', I'd frankly be cool with it. Not least because I live in a very underpopulated country.
1) Tack has unironically endorsed mass genocide of the human race by a computer overlord.
2) I am also suprisingly okay with this.
Any halfway decent machine overlord could simultaneously protect the environment writ large and the human race with a number of non-genocidal strategies considering even I can think of them, but I guess that's the whole problem with machine overlords.
What's important to me is that a Human overlord doesn't make that decision.
If anything is deciding to decimate (heh) the human race, there needs to be a whole lot of cold logic and algorithms behind the process.
Not saying that'll comfort me when that process inevitably swings to bear upon me, but hey, rose tinted glasses.

Honestly 'rose-colored' is many understatement at this point. Very many.
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113578 on: November 15, 2016, 11:04:41 am »

My (home, rather than phone) internet connection is basically non functional or intermittently and briefly functional, since last night.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113579 on: November 15, 2016, 11:17:09 am »

Honestly 'rose-colored' is many understatement at this point. Very many.
Maybe I'm just sick of hollywood.
I just want to see a movie where the big bad is a computer AI who, when confronted with the heroes says 'I am literally programmed to put nothing above the cultural preservation of the human race. There's a 99.98% chance that a massive dust storm will envelop the earth and I've been secretly allocating resources towards it but you all just keep getting in the way of your own survival and so now I'm forced to choose who will survive and who won't, because you won't all fit in the shelters.'
At which point the heroes go 'fuck you, humanity = hope' and blow it up.

Then the dust storm happens and everyone dies because hope is great but food is better and people are fucking idiots.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.
Pages: 1 ... 7570 7571 [7572] 7573 7574 ... 11040