Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7548 7549 [7550] 7551 7552 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14488704 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #113235 on: November 11, 2016, 11:01:06 am »

I thought I caused it to be shut down at first because I said the word "Dumb" and it might have been construed as calling people in the thread dumb or Liberals Dumb.

Instead of "Riots are dumb"

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113236 on: November 11, 2016, 11:03:09 am »

I did understand it in the context of the protests though.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #113237 on: November 11, 2016, 11:10:49 am »

Just don't bring it over here now, 'kay?
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #113238 on: November 11, 2016, 11:36:26 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Uh huh.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #113239 on: November 11, 2016, 12:01:30 pm »

Come on, that's too stupid even for the most radical right-hating leftist. That's a poe. To the laugh thread with it.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #113240 on: November 11, 2016, 12:04:48 pm »

Haha, I forgot about "womyn"
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113241 on: November 11, 2016, 12:31:20 pm »

I always wanted free legal reign to grab someone by the pussy.

But seriously guys can we go back to talking about the undead?
Actually a more fruitful conversation.

Let's talk Draugr, Wraiths and the various interpretations of ghouls.
Are ghouls actually undead?
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113242 on: November 11, 2016, 12:37:12 pm »

Lets talk about grabbing skeletons by the pelvis.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #113243 on: November 11, 2016, 12:38:05 pm »

I always wanted free legal reign to grab someone by the pussy.

But seriously guys can we go back to talking about the undead?
Actually a more fruitful conversation.

Technically, no, if we're going by original context. Ghouls, as from the original Arabic sense were evil spirits. Monstrous, yes, undead, no.

I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #113244 on: November 11, 2016, 12:42:17 pm »

Technically, no, if we're going by original context. Ghouls, as from the original Arabic sense were evil spirits. Monstrous, yes, undead, no.
Added note to that--when you say ghouls, are you talking about local versions? Because given the timeline of spirits and the theme of creatures under such, there are many (many), many variations nowadays :3

...And when you say undead, a spirit doesn't technically count following Draig's note. :P

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #113245 on: November 11, 2016, 12:42:53 pm »

I think in 3.5e, ghouls are basically just monstrous cannibals so ugly that they can paralyze people in shock/terror (semi gorgon-esque).
They're *technically* undead, but they honestly have more in common with the living.  They have to eat, and they eat actual food, unlike vampires.  In fact I think the one-word definition of ghouls would be "hunger".

Interestingly, they're basically wendigo of Native American legend.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113246 on: November 11, 2016, 12:46:03 pm »

A shitton of things are described in old legends as spirits, though. Strigoi, for example, which in fantasy is often treated as just a kind of vampire, were more like partially corporal evil spirits in the original legend. Hell, vampires themselves were more like evil spirits originally, IIRC.

The original norse notion of elves were also spirits, according to my missing swedish blood fetishist linguistic freak friend. Dwarves were just a type of elf, and thus spirits as well. Draugr were also sometimes described as spirits (which could take corporal form).

So ye, tons of shit that we know today as undead were originally described as spirits.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113247 on: November 11, 2016, 12:48:17 pm »

The original norse notion of elves were also spirits, according to my missing swedish blood fetishist linguistic freak friend. Dwarves were just a type of elf, and thus spirits as well.
I'm pretty sure that neither of the Eddas describes dwarves and elves as being either one and the same, or spirits. Is there some other source for that notion?
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113248 on: November 11, 2016, 12:49:58 pm »

Hell if I know. He made sure to tell me once that, for all things considered, elves might have possibly just been a way to refer to the spirits of the dead.
And weren't dwarves just called "dark" elves?

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #113249 on: November 11, 2016, 12:50:40 pm »

A shitton of things are described in old legends as spirits, though. Strigoi, for example, which in fantasy is often treated as just a kind of vampire, were more like partially corporal evil spirits in the original legend. Hell, vampires themselves were more like evil spirits originally, IIRC.

The original norse notion of elves were also spirits, according to my missing swedish blood fetishist linguistic freak friend. Dwarves were just a type of elf, and thus spirits as well. Draugr were also sometimes described as spirits (which could take corporal form).

So ye, tons of shit that we know today as undead were originally described as spirits.

Draugr and Strigoi were specifically the spirits of those that had once been alive, which is VERY important distinction. (As opposed to other forms of spirit, such as Ghouls, which were never traditionally alive)
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."
Pages: 1 ... 7548 7549 [7550] 7551 7552 ... 11037