Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7124 7125 [7126] 7127 7128 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14483519 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #106875 on: July 30, 2016, 05:59:30 pm »

Shotguns are useful tools due to their capacity for specialty munitions, but terrible weapons due to being far too situational for normal combat use.
Except in New Vegas, where all the downsides went away because all combat took place inside of 25m (most at <5m) and you could shoot straight through power armor and knock the wearer on his ass to boot. With plain 12ga buckshot. :V

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106876 on: July 30, 2016, 06:01:08 pm »

Iirc modern shotguns are actually pretty OP and have been toned down in video games because their stopping power at range is still quite dramatic.

Woke to a freezing cold room early in the morning. Waited under the covers until the sun decide to make a full appearance. Put a jumper on, Went to the bathroom, observed the frost on the grass outside audibly hissing as it dissolves. Have a shower, get redressed, go outside.
... Drop jumper back in room. Open car. Wait for blistering air to lazily exit.
Begin driving. Hot surface of car seat gives way to frozen core.

Wtf winter.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #106877 on: July 30, 2016, 06:02:45 pm »

Yeah, Halo shotguns aren't an accurate depiction of reality. But body armor will stop shot fairly reliably, and if you're shooting slugs why not just use a rifle?

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106878 on: July 30, 2016, 06:03:19 pm »

Iirc modern shotguns are actually pretty OP and have been toned down in video games because their stopping power at range is still quite dramatic.

It is because Modern Shooters don't feature long distance engagements... KIND OF....

So Shotguns are almost always in their element. Which is 100feet or under.

Plus most soldiers don't wear high grade armor... or almost any.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 06:05:03 pm by Neonivek »

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106879 on: July 30, 2016, 06:05:02 pm »

Unless you're within a building, you're going to need to shoot beyond 40 or 50 meters almost all the time. 00 Buckshot remains lethal beyond that depending on how you define that, sure, but those 9 pellets that come out are going to be spread out and will be lacking in penetration.

You could switch to slugs, but come on, whats the point when you could always have picked a rifle instead, 30 rounds in the magazine too? .223 weights less than a third of 12 gauge shotgun shell, you'll be able to carry loads more ammo too. :)

Yeah, Halo shotguns aren't an accurate depiction of reality. But body armor will stop shot fairly reliably, and if you're shooting slugs why not just use a rifle?

Yep.

You do get long range firefights in Arma... With ACE3's advanced ballistics, just squad vs. squad can last a while too because of all the missing and not-instantly-killing hits and men falling unconscious from blood loss. Great fun.  :)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 06:07:51 pm by Erkki »

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #106880 on: July 30, 2016, 07:18:33 pm »

It's weird how Flanders has had a human interest show that ran well for almost twenty years. "Man Bijt Hond" debuted in 1997, and finally went under after having declining popularity for a few years in 2013. But then they replaced it with another human interest show, "iedereen beroemd", and it's been pretty popular despite having mostly the same format, that being a collection of short "columns" which are always the same, obviously mostly with a focus on ordinary people and everyday life.

I dont even really know why I'm posting this. It's 2 AM and im reading an internet essay about the Simpsons.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #106881 on: July 30, 2016, 07:35:30 pm »

jumping fart attack!

Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106882 on: July 30, 2016, 07:43:09 pm »

im reading an internet essay about the Simpsons.

Can I have a link?
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106883 on: July 30, 2016, 07:45:10 pm »

For a short while, someone was exploding fireworks, the kind they use in large shows. They were exploding incredibly close to the ground.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106884 on: July 30, 2016, 07:54:39 pm »

That reminds me. Have any of you seen the San Diego fireworks show on Youtube? The one where all the fireworks launched at the same time?

here is a link.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #106886 on: July 30, 2016, 11:17:58 pm »

So, I just had the thought. Mad Max is seen as a fairly standard example of desert-punk post-apocalyptic fiction, but there's an anomaly. It is apparently canon in Mad Max that the oceans are gone.

Given that the humidity hasn't risen drastically, and in fact has seemingly gone down, they can't have just dried up in an absurd global heat wave, something has to have actually boiled the oceans into space. What the fuck happened to the Mad Max universe that actually burned the oceans away into the void, but left a breathable atmosphere and survivors to scavenge old cars?
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #106887 on: July 30, 2016, 11:36:59 pm »

What the fuck happened to the Mad Max universe that actually burned the oceans away into the void, but left a breathable atmosphere and survivors to scavenge old cars?

They were exported to the moon colony via a giant pressurized straw in a controversial, but ultimately successful measure to give lunar astronauts much needed moisture.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #106888 on: July 31, 2016, 12:40:34 am »

So, I just had the thought. Mad Max is seen as a fairly standard example of desert-punk post-apocalyptic fiction, but there's an anomaly. It is apparently canon in Mad Max that the oceans are gone.

Given that the humidity hasn't risen drastically, and in fact has seemingly gone down, they can't have just dried up in an absurd global heat wave, something has to have actually boiled the oceans into space. What the fuck happened to the Mad Max universe that actually burned the oceans away into the void, but left a breathable atmosphere and survivors to scavenge old cars?
Burn the land, boil the seas, but you can't take the sky from me....

Maybe Earth-that-was just got used up. :V

(Firefly/Mad Max, why is there not a single crossover fanfic for this; edit: oh there is one I guess? huh)

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106889 on: July 31, 2016, 01:17:55 am »

Link? Is it any good?
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write
Pages: 1 ... 7124 7125 [7126] 7127 7128 ... 11037