Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7123 7124 [7125] 7126 7127 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14480268 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #106860 on: July 30, 2016, 03:30:54 pm »

Tried to play Red Faction: Armageddon. Turns out there's a problem originating from Steam that crashes the game upon starting a new one. This problem has existed for months, and has not been fixed.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #106861 on: July 30, 2016, 03:32:19 pm »

(why would you play it at all)
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #106862 on: July 30, 2016, 03:56:07 pm »

(why would you play it at all)
It's okay. It is more or less like the first one; main differences are: over-the-shoulder third-person, bugs instead of corporate mercs, unicorn gun, and being able to rebuild what you wrecked so you can't get stuck.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #106863 on: July 30, 2016, 03:59:13 pm »

Thing is Red Faction 1 was not very good to begin with. Half-Life wannabe, but dumber.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #106864 on: July 30, 2016, 04:02:13 pm »

Thing is Red Faction 1 was not very good to begin with. Half-Life wannabe, but dumber.
Yeah, it was a half-life with less puzzles and destructible environment. But it was ok for its time. Fun, if not Really Good.

A word of warning for those who want to play Armageddon, though: don't play in the higher difficulties because enemies turn into bullet sponges that can one-shot you.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #106865 on: July 30, 2016, 04:13:04 pm »

The original Red Faction was a masterpiece, particularly in multiplayer. It was still possible to get a decent match up until five years or so ago, too bad cheaters killed it. One of the things that was often overlooked - to the point where it was reported as a glitch in some places - was that there were no hitscan weapons (although the actual bullet was not modeled and there was no ballistic drop, each gun had a set velocity that resulted in a realistic impact delay at longer ranges), and both types of rockets had limited fuel that, when expended, would cause the rocket to fall ballistically.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #106866 on: July 30, 2016, 04:28:46 pm »

This reminds me of the fact that, while I generally approve of STALKER's ballistics, I still can't get over how useless shotguns are in that game, specially because shotguns are always one of my favorite kinds of weapons to use in a FPS.

The devs subscribed to the idea of "shotguns can't do shit against anything past 5 meters", which is almost a rule in vydia gaems, and using slugs somehow make them even worse :v

Strangely enough, fallout 3/newvegas/4 do shotguns more realistically than most games I've played. Even CSGO has ineffective shotguns.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 04:36:49 pm by TempAcc »
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #106867 on: July 30, 2016, 05:09:56 pm »

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #106868 on: July 30, 2016, 05:11:59 pm »

honestly shotguns are always either sniper rifles or useless. TF2 is one exception, where the shotgun is one of the best weapons in the game.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106869 on: July 30, 2016, 05:16:32 pm »

honestly shotguns are always either sniper rifles or useless. TF2 is one exception, where the shotgun is one of the best weapons in the game.

Uhhhh....?

Shotguns tend to be either bullet punches or useless O-o.

The only game that had it being "A sniper rifle" was doom... but its shotgun was one of the best in all videogames.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106870 on: July 30, 2016, 05:24:19 pm »

At least it reflects the fact of shotguns being fairly useless in real life too... For most military uses any way.

Being able to choose between slug and 00 buckshot in Arma 2/3 helps them a bit but they still are inaccurate with recoil and heavy ammo. At close range, rifles are more controllable and have burst or full auto mode, leaving shotguns without a in-game niche.

In real life besides hunting you can shoot smoke, gas, rubber bullets etc. so they work in crowd control. Also for shooting door locks. I believe the military police use them exactly because of the lack of range and penetration can be needed at times.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #106871 on: July 30, 2016, 05:27:51 pm »

What's especially funny is that your average arena shooter has levels about as large as the effective range on a shotgun.  Depending on what kind of ammo is getting fired and what your definition of "effective" is.

Which leads to the entertaining situation where a CoD light machine gun is significantly less accurate than a real life shotgun.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106872 on: July 30, 2016, 05:29:01 pm »

Shotguns are useful tools due to their capacity for specialty munitions, but terrible weapons due to being far too situational for normal combat use.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #106873 on: July 30, 2016, 05:40:43 pm »

Shotguns are excelent for urban combat (huge stopping power + not having to worry about a stray bullet penetrating walls and killing random people, which is kind of a problem with most rifles) or any other situation in which close quarters shootouts is going to happen, though, which is why shotguns are a popular law enforment and home defense weapon.
Sure, if you're going to conflicts on open fields or any sort of medium-long range engagement, like military operations in non urban environments, then you might as well ignore them, since trench warfare is pretty much dead. However, when trench warfare was a thing, shotguns really did make a big ass difference. Its one of the main reasons as to why american troops usualy did better in trench combat than most ww2ww1 armies, since the US army was pretty much the only one to use shotguns at the time, and trench combat in ww2 essentialy meant one of 3 things, if you didn't have a submachinegun at hand: 1-awkwardly using your rifle at close range; 2-go full on CQC with your bayonet or knife; and 3-pulling out your pistol and hoping you hit them in a vital area before they hit yours.

They're also great against unarmored targets, which is, again, why they're a great law enforcement weapon (also why they're popular with prison guards that dont sit in towers all day).
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 05:46:58 pm by TempAcc »
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #106874 on: July 30, 2016, 05:49:34 pm »

AFAIK in a military capacity shotguns are mainly used for destroying locks and to fire less-lethal ammo against civilians.  The simple fact of the matter is that there are few/no situations where a shotgun is going to be better against an armored soldier than an automatic weapon would be.  It might kill an unarmored foe at close range a bit faster but like, that's a long way to lug a pretty heavy weapon just for that one thing.

(AKA what Temp said)
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule
Pages: 1 ... 7123 7124 [7125] 7126 7127 ... 11037