Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7036 7037 [7038] 7039 7040 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14438814 times)

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #105555 on: July 08, 2016, 07:50:46 am »

There's a media shit-storm over it now. Everyone is quick to call racism. Headlines are always 'Cop shoots Black man' and not 'Person believed to be reaching for firearm shot; actually reaching for wallet.' No media shitstorm happens if a black cop shoots a white man.
That was last century.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #105556 on: July 08, 2016, 07:53:02 am »

Problem is, anyone who has a concealed-carry weapon is required to disclose the fact that they have a gun if they are stopped by law enforcement. Which makes sense. The police need to know if there is a weapon in the car to prevent incidents like this one.

And yet, this officer perceived that the standard declaration of a concealed carry weapon as a threat.

Whatever else happened, I can't say. What I can say with certainty is that nobody should have gotten shot in that situation. And that is my WTF.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #105557 on: July 08, 2016, 08:13:43 am »

No, see, it's not about how 'he would knowingly risk his career' to kill a black guy, that's retarded, and not the problem people are talking about.
The policeman shot him, if he pulled his gun out and aimed it at him, maybe a bit extreme if he already had a taser, sure, but that's fine, some reasonable precaution to take, but when he shot him it meant that his instant reaction to any suspicious movement is to fire on someone.

Now I'm not talking about if this bullshit about racism is true or not, I don't care about that, what people are talking about is if this is there's a bais towards black people in our society knowingly or not, most racist people do not twirl their evil moustache and cackle menacingly, those who do are the minority, most are normal people who, in a given situation, are more likely to think that a black person is going to do something bad compared to a white person, that's racism.

Fuck, look, I'm not trying to argue with you, I just want you to know that when people call racism they aren't trying to say that that policeman killed black people on purpose, they're saying that his actions were influenced by their skin colour that nudged him into panicking and firing on them prematurely, and that that's a bad thing.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #105558 on: July 08, 2016, 08:51:00 am »

Yeah, that definition of racism you got there is rather limited and very specific which kinda makes it unfit for a real world application.

This wasn't the conscious racist killing where the guy was out to bag a black man but rather the unconcious one where certain preconceptions of a race are formed, wether justifiably or not, which affect how someone reacts to a certain situation.

Also the victim in question did his best to not appear threatening, doing what he was legally obliged to do and even going so far as to state that he's going to reach for his ID (which the cop asked him for I assume).

But I guess you can follow the law to the letter and still get shot in the US, just gotta be a minority.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #105559 on: July 08, 2016, 09:42:38 am »

Put yourself in the cop's point of view. You've pulled someone over and they say that they have a gun in the car, then reach down (ie move the hand out of sight). A logical on-the-spot thought would have been "He's reaching for a gun. Do what I'm trained to do."
My WTF is that cops are apparently trained to shoot to kill at the the possibility of trouble.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #105560 on: July 08, 2016, 09:43:30 am »

That would be my WTF here as well.  Police are supposed to be trained to defuse situations, not kill people.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #105561 on: July 08, 2016, 10:56:51 am »

They are trained to diffuse situations, but apparently there are some situations that "just can't be diffused" so they decide to kill the person instead of shooting to incapacitate.
Black lives matter.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #105562 on: July 08, 2016, 10:59:56 am »

They used to be trained to defuse situations, now they get a two-year law degree from a community or online college, have a week or two of 'on beat' training, then get sent out to deal with things they aren't at all prepared for.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #105563 on: July 08, 2016, 11:03:01 am »

You can't shoot to incapacitate. You might get sued.

Also, training.

More pointed lessons come in the form of hands-on exercises. One common scenario teaches officers that a suspect leaning into a car can pull out a gun and shoot at officers before they can react.

Though for balance, if you don't read the bloody article:

In most police shootings, officers don’t shoot out of anger or frustration or hatred. They shoot because they are afraid. And they are afraid because they are constantly barraged with the message that that they should be afraid, that their survival depends on it.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #105564 on: July 08, 2016, 11:05:16 am »

They are trained to diffuse situations, but apparently there are some situations that "just can't be diffused" so they decide to kill the person instead of shooting to incapacitate.
Shooting to incapacitate is a myth. You either shoot to kill, or you don't shoot at all.
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #105565 on: July 08, 2016, 11:08:12 am »

Shooting to incapacitate is a myth. You either shoot to kill, or you don't shoot at all.
Doesn't shooting someone in the shoulder prevent them from properly moving that arm (thus incapacitating) without being instantly fatal (instead only potentially)?
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #105566 on: July 08, 2016, 11:08:35 am »

Wow, nice article, well written and it covers the problem very nicely.

I agree with every sentiment in that article, and wish that more police agencies would take that kind of constructive criticism to heart.

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #105567 on: July 08, 2016, 11:13:12 am »

Doesn't shooting someone in the shoulder prevent them from properly moving that arm (thus incapacitating) without being instantly fatal (instead only potentially)?
It's pretty much impossible to reliably hit something like that, especially when whoever you're shooting at is moving.
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #105568 on: July 08, 2016, 11:21:18 am »

If you're shooting at all, you've already lost.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #105569 on: July 08, 2016, 11:21:42 am »

-Quote Pyramid-
It's pretty much impossible to reliably hit something like that, especially when whoever you're shooting at is moving.
In most cases I agree, but wasn't the officer at pretty much point blank and the target sitting in a parked car? Granted that I may not know much about firearms other than what they sound like and what to hide behind when shots are being fired, but still.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?
Pages: 1 ... 7036 7037 [7038] 7039 7040 ... 11040