Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7034 7035 [7036] 7037 7038 ... 11039

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14432068 times)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #105525 on: July 07, 2016, 01:14:50 am »

Stupid 9 days.  Bleh.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #105526 on: July 07, 2016, 03:52:05 am »

In addition to the other problems I have at work, some jackass showed up sick and infected everyone else. Two people went home sick(one probably the plaguebearer) yesterday. Right now my sinus membrane is burning, and I could have sworn I heard my mom coughing the next room over. I'm glad I stockpiled a bit of Dayquil from the last 2.5 month-long sinus infection I had.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #105527 on: July 07, 2016, 03:55:55 am »

Stupid 9 days.  Bleh.
Seriously though, what the hell are you doing with your life? Even if 90% of your posts are content-free you're still spending enough time on the forums to make seventy-eighty content-free posts per day, which is insane. And not in a good way.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #105528 on: July 07, 2016, 07:28:04 am »

Ugh... dear goodness...

I have a lot of respect for the police... I would never be able to be a police officer, it is a very demanding job and they put their lives on the line quite often (though they aren't in the top 10 most dangerous jobs). IMO outside of corrupt officers all police officers are heroes, end of discussion.

But how does this stuff keep happening where the police are filmed doing something out of line, they confiscate it, and it goes missing. It shouldn't be a necessity for there to specifically be a program that immediately uploads videos to the internet as a way to reliably gather information on the police. A call to the police about a officer abusing their power should actually get a response. and Police shouldn't be able to just shut off cameras. Several states shouldn't be able to make it illegal to film the police (well ok, they try but it never passes in the Supreme court)

If they don't want to be recorded doing their jobs by citizens then why resist body cameras so strongly. If you do your job, then you do your job.

If you want to protect the privacy of a police officer who has a body camera then do what the police usually have to do and require a warrant to even look at the footage. BOOM!

Every single time I get this report of some officer abusing their power there is almost always some sort of bastardry going on. I almost wish we would just have a flat out illegal shooting by the police that didn't get this stipulations.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 07:44:07 am by Neonivek »

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #105529 on: July 07, 2016, 07:41:22 am »

Police is meant to be corrupt. They're suppose to shot up those deemed as lowlifes while turning a blind eye to a rich kid snorting coke in his sports car.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #105530 on: July 07, 2016, 07:43:43 am »

The system is built to look after their own.

People have been pushing for revolution, but I'm not sure how a revolution would help.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #105531 on: July 07, 2016, 07:44:21 am »

But how does this stuff keep happening where the police are filmed doing something out of line, they confiscate it, and it goes missing.
The problem is quality control. The lack of it, that is. I'm sure there's a fair number of decent cops in the States, but there's a fuckload of shitty ones who can waltz through without argument because they shave their heads and wear sunglasses.

Police is meant to be corrupt. They're suppose to shot up those deemed as lowlifes while turning a blind eye to a rich kid snorting coke in his sports car.
I think you mean "politician", or perhaps "celebrity"
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #105532 on: July 07, 2016, 07:56:11 am »

People rarely care about those religious values.
It's just "hey christian values are good" and everyone nods while most probably didn't even visit the church on sunday in several years.
Was from yesterday, but just noticed, so whatever.

Anyway. It should probably be noted the bible says basically fuck all about church attendance, and at points is pretty much explicitly against it. Attendance has pretty much nothing to do with cleaving to christian values. It's a fairly terrible heuristic to evaluate how faithful and/or attentive to scripture someone is, really. All the structural/social shit getting in the way.

... gets kinda' annoying to see that measure used so much. Bloody church structure trying to jam itself down everyone's throat.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #105533 on: July 07, 2016, 09:30:40 am »

People rarely care about those religious values.
It's just "hey christian values are good" and everyone nods while most probably didn't even visit the church on sunday in several years.
Was from yesterday, but just noticed, so whatever.

Anyway. It should probably be noted the bible says basically fuck all about church attendance, and at points is pretty much explicitly against it. Attendance has pretty much nothing to do with cleaving to christian values. It's a fairly terrible heuristic to evaluate how faithful and/or attentive to scripture someone is, really. All the structural/social shit getting in the way.

... gets kinda' annoying to see that measure used so much. Bloody church structure trying to jam itself down everyone's throat.
It was generalized but the truth is that most of the supposedly faithful people have only a vague idea and christian is the de facto religion in most of the west.
Even when a good chunk of those people are christian only because they only have some vague ideas about Jesus, Christmas and Easter while probably never having touched a bible more than once or twice in their life.
Most don't know about fun stuff like god sending 2 dire bears at a bunch of children who joked about one of his prophet being bald.
Quote from: The Bible
Then he went up from there to Bethel; and as he was going up by the way, young lads came out from the city and mocked him and said to him, “Go up, you baldhead; go up, you baldhead!” 24 When he looked behind him and saw them, he cursed them in the name of the LORD. Then two female bears came out of the woods and tore up forty-two lads of their number.

Cautionary tale or not this is something i'd expect from DF legends mode and not the freaking Holy Bible.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 10:50:44 am by Sonlirain »
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #105534 on: July 07, 2016, 10:12:37 am »

Most don't know about fun stuff like god sending 2 dire bears at a bunch of children who joked about one of his prophet being bald.
I was always partial to the mountains of foreskins, actually. Just something about the mental image is hilariously morbid.

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #105535 on: July 07, 2016, 10:33:15 am »

Spoiler: Relevant Oglaf (click to show/hide)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #105536 on: July 07, 2016, 11:57:23 am »

Ugh... dear goodness...

I have a lot of respect for the police... I would never be able to be a police officer, it is a very demanding job and they put their lives on the line quite often (though they aren't in the top 10 most dangerous jobs). IMO outside of corrupt officers all police officers are heroes, end of discussion.

But how does this stuff keep happening where the police are filmed doing something out of line, they confiscate it, and it goes missing. It shouldn't be a necessity for there to specifically be a program that immediately uploads videos to the internet as a way to reliably gather information on the police. A call to the police about a officer abusing their power should actually get a response. and Police shouldn't be able to just shut off cameras. Several states shouldn't be able to make it illegal to film the police (well ok, they try but it never passes in the Supreme court)

If they don't want to be recorded doing their jobs by citizens then why resist body cameras so strongly. If you do your job, then you do your job.

If you want to protect the privacy of a police officer who has a body camera then do what the police usually have to do and require a warrant to even look at the footage. BOOM!

Every single time I get this report of some officer abusing their power there is almost always some sort of bastardry going on. I almost wish we would just have a flat out illegal shooting by the police that didn't get this stipulations.

Real, non-joke answer

The problem comes from two directions.

From below, the police themselves close ranks when attacked, even justifiably, because of a combination of esprit de corps and the amount of shit that gets piled on even when they do everything perfectly, let alone all the somewhat dubious cases where the cops fully believe the officer was in the right or those cases where faulty/incomplete information made the police behavior look bad.

From above, training budgets are shot to shit (this despite the often bloated equipment budgets, due to strings on how money from a given grant can get spent) in many -if not most- major American cities, meaning that an officer that gets jailed or dismissed for misconduct is gone with no replacement, leaving the department permanently a man down. This leads to the department having a harder time keeping order, and this directly hurts the politicians that are ultimately in charge.

The pressure from below would exist in all but the most Utopian societies. Even if you have a police force made up almost entirely of saintly Officer Friendlys, the disputes between them and the ordinary citizenry would remain, and this would result in the police force being among but apart from the general population. 

What can be done is reducing the pressure from above via boosting the training budget to keep problem officers from being indispensable while reducing the workload on police by reworking the law (decriminalization or outright legalization of things like voluntary adult prostitution, less impactful drugs such as marijuana, etc.) to allow more efficient use of manpower. If a mayor doesn't have to make the calculation that not getting rid of this officer will cost X votes in the short term but getting rid of this officer risks costing Y votes in the long term then the pressure from above will ususally be "clean things up".

Other measures, such as mandatory body cameras, regular paperwork audits, and other forms of accountability are excellent tools as well, and encouraging people to take a less adversarial attitude when dealing with police (while still operating under standard self-protection guidelines such as clear, unambiguous answers, no sudden or unannounced movements, and being willing to lawyer up if things start to look iffy) will go a long way toward defusing a huge majority of potential conflicts while making it very hard for the cops to claim justification if they get out of line.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #105537 on: July 07, 2016, 03:44:29 pm »

welp

just got owned by a map

the map maker hid an important item in a very hidden place behind a bunch of cosmetic obstacles and I had to resort to opening the map in map editor and looking for a good several dozen minutes in order to find it

I feel defeated
._.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #105538 on: July 07, 2016, 03:45:16 pm »

welp

just got owned by a map

the map maker hid an important item in a very hidden place behind a bunch of cosmetic obstacles and I had to resort to opening the map in map editor and looking for a good several dozen minutes in order to find it

I feel defeated

Play Albion :P and prepare to feel better as you will be even more lost.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #105539 on: July 07, 2016, 04:55:42 pm »

Extremely stressful day. A page back, I mentioned feeling sick. Well, I wasn't the only one. Five people called in sick, including the guy got us all sick. And a lot of other people, including me, were sick and came to work anyway. We were shorthanded, and some of the people in some of the positions there were in were incredibly incompetent at their jobs, including especially the managers.

Almost beat the shit out of my boss. He was walking behind, apparently wanted to get past me. Instead of asking me to move, or even just going around(plenty of room to), just shoves me out of the way. My sister assures me he was just messing around, but that is not something I appreciate.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.
Pages: 1 ... 7034 7035 [7036] 7037 7038 ... 11039