Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7022 7023 [7024] 7025 7026 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14449369 times)

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #105346 on: July 03, 2016, 08:30:21 am »

What was the shot Of? An existing alcohol, or a new one made from fermented isotopes?

Also, Neo you're pretty harsh on games.
Double also, the first metroid I played was fusion. Technically.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #105347 on: July 03, 2016, 02:34:19 pm »

Fusion is the best because I still haven't played Super.

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
  • You are doomed, doomed, I tell you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #105348 on: July 03, 2016, 02:54:45 pm »

I just realized that tabloids are the paper equivalent of shitposts.
I thought it was clickbait.

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #105349 on: July 03, 2016, 04:03:24 pm »

I just realized that tabloids are the paper equivalent of shitposts.
I thought it was clickbait.
+1
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #105350 on: July 03, 2016, 04:10:48 pm »

I think Zero Mission closely beats out Fusion as the best non-Prime.  And I played them roughly in order (except 2, the gb one).

Super Metroid is a classic, and the boss fights are really good, but it's only half as obtuse as 1 when it comes to exploration.  Bombing and rubbing against every wall is not "exploration".  Super bombs and the scan visor help, except the scan visor is tedious and the bombs require restocking.

Basically it came a long way, but it's still tedious to progress at a few points.

Zero Mission and Fusion can be reasonably played without a walkthrough, and I think that's a good thing.  Super Metroid should be played, but with a walkthrough.  Or keeping a manual map and checking every surface.  It's definitely the best one plot-wise, though.

Metroid 2 does a good job of being spooky and different, but wow definitely use a walkthrough for it.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #105351 on: July 03, 2016, 04:11:15 pm »

Isn't it that all clickbait is a shitpost, but not all shitposts are clickbait?

I guess there is a slight distinction between the two, but close enough.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #105352 on: July 03, 2016, 04:26:14 pm »

I played a bit of metroid 3 but was kinda too young to get it.
Also wasn't zero mission the one with the awful VA?

Also I only played prime 3 (and hunters but it doesn't count) and quite liked the gimmicks in that game.

Whether I actually did or if I'm just programmed to love things neo hates, who knows.
(I'm just assuming he hates everything)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 04:29:06 pm by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #105353 on: July 03, 2016, 04:47:28 pm »

I played a bit of metroid 3 but was kinda too young to get it.
Also wasn't zero mission the one with the awful VA?
NO... no, no.
Gods I hate Other M, seriously.

Zero Mission has no voiceover.  Super Metroid (3) had a very digitized one.  It was SNES.
Also I only played prime 3 (and hunters but it doesn't count) and quite liked the gimmicks in that game.
Oh yeah, hunters was... eh.  I didn't get far at all.  Liked the character designs but couldn't play a FPS on DS.
The Prime series is pretty dang great.  It's just uncomparable to the main-series games.  Completely different mechanics, and a self-contained side-plot.  Not to diminish it though, it was possibly better than the main-series.

I consider it all fully headcanon, damn what the execs say.  fuckin other m.  At least he was taken off the job for that shit.

Edit:  Sorry I should have explained:  Zero Mission is Metroid 1, but basically using the Metroid Fusion engine (on DS).  And it made the game infinitely less obtuse and confusing, and added a bunch of Chozo lore.
Also introduced the Zero Suit, but... it was pretty cool in the context they provided.
Fuckin execs just went hog wild with it for stupid reasons.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 04:53:35 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #105354 on: July 03, 2016, 04:51:58 pm »

Also, Neo you're pretty harsh on games.

I am. Though in Dying Light's case it is because it was so good before it sucked.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #105355 on: July 03, 2016, 05:36:48 pm »

I think Zero Mission closely beats out Fusion as the best non-Prime.  And I played them roughly in order (except 2, the gb one).

Super Metroid is a classic, and the boss fights are really good, but it's only half as obtuse as 1 when it comes to exploration.  Bombing and rubbing against every wall is not "exploration".  Super bombs and the scan visor help, except the scan visor is tedious and the bombs require restocking.

Basically it came a long way, but it's still tedious to progress at a few points.

Zero Mission and Fusion can be reasonably played without a walkthrough, and I think that's a good thing.  Super Metroid should be played, but with a walkthrough.  Or keeping a manual map and checking every surface.  It's definitely the best one plot-wise, though.

Metroid 2 does a good job of being spooky and different, but wow definitely use a walkthrough for it.

I literally cannot think of a single place where power bombing or x-ray scoping a bunch of places is required to progress. To find secrets, yeah, but progress no. Fusion's the same way, and the x-ray scope was combined into the power bomb for that. The biggest problems in SM by far are the parts where bosses or mini bosses go apeshit over being hit by certain attacks--Crocomire, due to the way his battle works, takes negative damage from power bombs, and Phantoon immediately launches an extremely difficult-to-avoid attack that it cannot be hit during whenever it's hit by a super missile. Crocomire was the only boss I was ever stuck on when I was a child. Draygon being under some fake spikes is a bit weird, too, but that's about it that I can think of.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #105356 on: July 03, 2016, 05:41:48 pm »

Huh...

So I finally have an example of modable game versus non-modable and popularity.

With Transport Tycoon being far more popular then its improved sequel (at least today) simply because it was moddable and its sequel wasn't.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #105357 on: July 03, 2016, 06:01:46 pm »

There's also Balder's gate and Balder's gate enhanced edition. People preferred the first one because it had better mods.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 07:21:36 pm by heydude6 »
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #105358 on: July 03, 2016, 06:19:06 pm »

There's also Balder's gate and Balder's gate enchanted edition. People preferred the first one because it had better mods.
Because the first one wasn't bald enough
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #105359 on: July 03, 2016, 06:20:12 pm »

Balder 2: Body Hair
Pages: 1 ... 7022 7023 [7024] 7025 7026 ... 11040