Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6821 6822 [6823] 6824 6825 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14439849 times)

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #102330 on: May 17, 2016, 06:25:06 am »

Fur is made of the above ingredients as well, that's the point of the comment.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102331 on: May 17, 2016, 06:30:25 am »

According to Google, one NLEA serving of broccoli contains 220% of a 2,000-calorie diet's worth of vitamin C

so he's not wrong I guess :v

To be honest, anything more than 100% is a waste. Your body can store some for when you have a deficiency, but only so much and you actually get enough Vitamin C from an average diet anyway.

I think you'd be hard pressed to find a diet where you never eat more than you need of every single micro-nutrient. One of the only reasons we need a varied diet is because we need all those minuscule amounts of micro-nutrients. Many animals just make their own, and thus can survive on a single food diet. Technically speaking, a housecat is entirely made up of air, water and cat food.

Cat food contains a bunch of stuff, you know. :V

We could make human cat food but people would get upset at the lack of variety, I expect.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #102332 on: May 17, 2016, 07:11:25 am »

According to Google, one NLEA serving of broccoli contains 220% of a 2,000-calorie diet's worth of vitamin C

so he's not wrong I guess :v

To be honest, anything more than 100% is a waste. Your body can store some for when you have a deficiency, but only so much and you actually get enough Vitamin C from an average diet anyway.
I think you'd be hard pressed to find a diet where you never eat more than you need of every single micro-nutrient. One of the only reasons we need a varied diet is because we need all those minuscule amounts of micro-nutrients. Many animals just make their own, and thus can survive on a single food diet. Technically speaking, a housecat is entirely made up of air, water and cat food.

Cat food contains a bunch of stuff, you know. :V

We could make human cat food but people would get upset at the lack of variety, I expect.

It's pretty much just meat, with some drugs so your cat will like it even though it's mush. Wild Big Cats are purely carnivores AFAIK and that's what I was getting at. An example is that cats won't get scurvy if they don't eat things with vitamin C, this is because they naturally make it themselves.

We could in theory make a food for people with all the required nutrients. But it would be completely artificial, while some cat foods are natural.

There is however one natural food source that has all the nutrients people need, however I think you'll find it a little hard to source:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
goodnight, speep tighht, don't let the bedbugs bite

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #102333 on: May 17, 2016, 07:53:37 am »

The downside of using breast milk as a nutrient source is that the woman also needs access to those nutrients. I suppose you could set up some kind of absurd chain where each woman feeds the next, but by that point we're blurring the line between fetish and crime against humanity.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #102334 on: May 17, 2016, 07:55:49 am »

There's Soylent, for which there's a thread on this forum.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #102335 on: May 17, 2016, 08:13:10 am »

I think you're confusing "cats can synthesize vitamin C" with "cats can synthesize vitamins in general." I've read a couple sources saying they can't synthesize vitamins A or E. And even with the vitamins they can synthesize, it seems they still benefit from eating them. Here's part of the ingredients list on my cat food, listed after the meat and stuff:

vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), Niacin Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin Supplement, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement), Taurine, minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102336 on: May 17, 2016, 08:34:27 am »

No, the vitamin C thing is a specific thing. I've heard it cited as "cats" before. Which is both true and misleading. All mammals can synthesize vitamin C, except for primates and a couple of other weird exceptions. So, humans and other primates are the odd ones out because we lost the ability to make our own vitamin C (due to injesting a diet rich in vitamin C, and therefore not needing the gene).

I don't know why the folklore on that attached to "cats", since "dogs", "rats", "horses" or just about any other mammal can do that.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 08:51:14 am by Reelya »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #102337 on: May 17, 2016, 08:50:07 am »

That's pretty cool about the vitamin C synthesizing, I didn't know that.  I wanted to add that, in addition to all the complex stuff in cat food (meat is pretty complex), my cat chewed a lot of grass.  Though that behavior is a bit mysterious apparently, and probably has more to do with digestion than a nutrient source.

Only somewhat related WTF, rabbit starvation reminds me a lot of the Atkin's diet.  Apparently we can only metabolize so much lean meat at a time.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102338 on: May 17, 2016, 08:54:20 am »

So cats are good sources of vitamin C.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #102339 on: May 17, 2016, 08:56:05 am »

Well, thats one extra use for stray cats :v
Man, cats are like, the ideal victorian ship animals. They hunt and kill rats onboard, and when things get dire, you can eat them and avoid scurvy!
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102340 on: May 17, 2016, 08:57:48 am »

The best bit about the vitamin C thing is that all primates still have the vitamin C genes, they're just deactivated. So there has been some research about how to turn it back on. The coolest thing is that we can see specific mutations in primate vitamin C genes that are common to many ancestors. So not only are they all broken, they're broken in the same actual genome loci.

Yeah, cats and grass might be due to fiber.  As to "why" animals do things that have clearly evolved, I think it works on three levels (for both animals and people). There's the personal "why", the biological "why" and the evolutionary "why". So the cat eats the grass because it's tummy hurts and it's learned that grass helps that. The biological reason is that it helps with digestion, and the evolutionary reason is because healthy digestion => less death, more babies.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102341 on: May 17, 2016, 04:51:56 pm »

On a warning label for baby wigs: "Do not, under any circumstances, laugh while your child is wearing the wig."

This is right next to "Do not leave baby unattended" and "Keep away from fire".
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #102342 on: May 17, 2016, 05:00:13 pm »

What I'm reading is that you should put the wig on the child, light it on fire, leave the room and laugh manically.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102343 on: May 17, 2016, 05:31:44 pm »

What I'm reading is that someone actually decided to put the wig on the child, light it on fire, leave the room and laugh manically.

ftfy
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #102344 on: May 17, 2016, 05:34:50 pm »

What I'm reading is that you should put the wig on the child, light it on fire, leave the room and laugh manically.
Nah, the wigs are known to spontaneously ignite when targeted with derisive laughter.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?
Pages: 1 ... 6821 6822 [6823] 6824 6825 ... 11040