Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6812 6813 [6814] 6815 6816 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14449251 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #102195 on: May 14, 2016, 08:32:55 am »

I dunno. There's like several million Koreans that've been building doomsday fortresses and what, only two or three that has been recorded as playing vidyas until the brink of death?
Points for being topical, but isn't it really just one big doomsday fortress?

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102196 on: May 14, 2016, 10:01:06 am »

This seems to be one of those times where we let some other country's moral panic override fact-checking.

There are cases where Americans have died during video gaming too, probably more so. It's just that in South Korea, internet cafes are popular places to go for your massive gaming binges, so they do it in a public place, therefore when they die for whichever reason, it's a public spectacle rather than someone who just happened to go into cardiac arrest while playing a game.

How many people die in South Korea while "doing something"? yet it's only the deaths while doing a particular thing that are newsworthy? That's clear media BS. A recent young guy in Taiwan had a heart attack at an internet cafe. Ironically, he'd been there 8 hours, then went to get a meal, came back and had a heart attack a few hours later. Maybe it was the meal that did him in?

Hell, I had a friend who died of a cardiac arrest who used to game all the time. He wasn't obese or anything, but he had pre-existing heart problems, and that was what killed him. Idk but he was probably gaming at the time. If he'd been in South Korea, he'd probably be on the news about it.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 10:10:27 am by Reelya »

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102197 on: May 14, 2016, 01:18:32 pm »

Saw a trash can along the sidewalk with "communication bin" written on the side.

Damn is Banksy ever getting lazy.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #102198 on: May 14, 2016, 01:45:15 pm »

Saw someone claiming that some random vaguely defined human character from Touhou's backstory could put up an equal fight with SSJ3 Goku. In fair melee combat.

I don't even
._.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #102199 on: May 14, 2016, 01:48:41 pm »

I think Goku is top-tier according to that subreddit based around "who would win".  Even the Space Marines aren't so overpowered.
(My brother expected me to argue that Master Chief could take on a Space Marine.  Nope, not remotely close.  I just think Bungie tells better stories.  And I do like WH40K too.)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102200 on: May 14, 2016, 01:51:43 pm »

Oh? so the titanium armored, genetically and cybernetically augmented human can't beat another titanium armored, genetically engineered, cybernetically augmented human?  M.C. is a spehss mureen.

Don't make me break out the math, it takes hours.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #102201 on: May 14, 2016, 01:58:54 pm »

1v1?

Master chief has a speed and presumably a tactical advantage.  Astartes might be fast and train their whole lives, but MC is probs smarter too.

And by convention named characters get an automatic 15 points.  And automated targeting systems ala AI in his head.

SM would have armor and technology advantage, but MC has shielding and can aquire the same weapons as SM.

So no?  I think that unless melee happened the SM is outclassed in general
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 02:01:34 pm by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #102202 on: May 14, 2016, 02:02:27 pm »

I think Goku is top-tier according to that subreddit based around "who would win".  Even the Space Marines aren't so overpowered.
(My brother expected me to argue that Master Chief could take on a Space Marine.  Nope, not remotely close.  I just think Bungie tells better stories.  And I do like WH40K too.)
There are plenty of high-powered characters who could take out Goku in fiction, actually, if you include all the hax insta-kill/insta-disable/I-Win abilities, and there are a few of those in Touhou that could potentially be able to do it (if you ignore all the "high power makes you immune to hax" unquantifiable stuff from DBZ).

But in pure melee combat, there are comparatively very few (which still amounts to plenty of characters, mostly from non-animated fiction though) - and none of them are Touhou characters. Like, SSJ3 Goku can punch people through small planets. AFAIK, no Touhou characters have displayed the ability to punch out even a small hill. And if you allow energy attacks, the disparity gets even worse, since that enables planet busting attacks for Goku, while Touhou only gets up to maybe (and that's a big maybe here) being able to blast a hole in a single mountain.

Also, the speed difference is simply ludicrous.
._.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #102203 on: May 14, 2016, 02:07:11 pm »

I feel like a 40K Space Marine would beat MC simply because they're almost literally the same thing but the Space Marine and his gear are bigger.  Who are you... I'm you but stronger just as generic.

That being said a lot of what makes MC tick is plot armor so maybe that gives him an intangible bonus.  The Halo universe has always operated with a clear hierarchy of UNSC < Covenant < Flood < current viewpoint character(s).  Every battle is decided according to those simple rules.  Hence why ODSTs are functionally identical to Spartans, but only when you play as them.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #102204 on: May 14, 2016, 02:08:13 pm »

SPEHSS MAHREEENs have shielding too (well, some of them).  Let's say it's just a run of the mill tactical marine though.  How well does the Spartan armor withstand explosives?  It basically doesn't.

MC does get weapons which could conceivably penetrate Space Marine armor, but... it's kinda strong against everything.  And even when it's breached, space marines have ludicrous amounts of redundant organs and bizarre implants.  They don't really have to sleep, and I think they resist blood loss a lot.

The only advantage for Spartans (and it is a significant advantage) is the direct neural connection with their armor, and with super-genius semi-rampant AIs.  Which basically makes it a batman vs superman scenario...  If MC gets enough preparation time, *maybe*.  But in a straight fight, just no.

Also I'm pretty sure Space Marines are lightning fast in the fiction, they're just slow in Dawn of War.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #102205 on: May 14, 2016, 02:09:59 pm »

SM's have a direct neural link with their armour too. It's what the whole "replace skin with black carapace" part of becoming a SM is about.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102206 on: May 14, 2016, 02:13:34 pm »

MC was the guy who grabbed a rocket mid-flight and flung it back at the attack chopper that shot it off.
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #102207 on: May 14, 2016, 02:32:59 pm »

Fairly certain you can find some equally ridiculous feats that are one par with that done by SM's. I can't be arsed to right now because I'm too busy drinking, but when you're facing off two characters who operate on rule of cool and nothing else you pretty much devolve into the nuh-uh I have a shield that negates your doom rocket, nuh-uh, my doom rocket has a laser to kill your shield, etc. etc...
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102208 on: May 14, 2016, 02:45:57 pm »

Im sure you could; what with thousands of unnamed SMs to draw from  :p

I tend to agree that pitting 2 fictional characters with vaguely defined limits against each other is asking for trouble.   Especially when the rules for each universe are different, and when the stuff they do only gets more rediculous the longer they stay.

I tend to lose interest in franchises when the character start breaking the laws of physics and when they start accruing strings of titles.

Halo got boring when 3 came out.  The flood getting xenomorphy-doomy and a powerup to make you bloody invincible saw to that.

Most comic book characters are boring because they have such redunculous backstories and retconned abilities that I get tired of it.  You stop being a Spanish soap opera you.

And so on.  I prefer my characters to be known for one or a set of things, not for them to be the savior of 17 worlds, defeater of 67 types of badguys, stopper of 14 plots to xyz.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 02:50:25 pm by pisskop »
PKs DF Mod!

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?
Pages: 1 ... 6812 6813 [6814] 6815 6816 ... 11040