Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6688 6689 [6690] 6691 6692 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14456472 times)

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #100335 on: April 10, 2016, 12:55:59 pm »

While taking a constitutional in the country today, I noticed a pair of Jack Russels in someone's garden, barking at me furiously. Nothing odd about that, of course, but one of them was behaving in a very strange way.

It was running around and around and around, in a sort of figure-of-eight - shaped depression. One long looped strip of mud 2-5 inches deep, apparently worn out of the turf by the repetitive action of this one small dog. I watched it for a while, and it didn't stop sprinting around and around along the same path. It even approached an angle of 45 degrees on one end of the loop with its momentum, running up the side it had worn out for itself.

A sheep was watching it, newly lambed. I suspected one of the two was hypnotising the other, but which? Dogs are nearly as strange as cats sometimes.
One wheel short of a wagon

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #100336 on: April 10, 2016, 01:01:11 pm »

In a different thread, yes.

Nah, I saw that. I assume there's some kind of broader context involving an engine of some kind, which interests me because AI is a subject of some fascination for me.
The broader context is that I'm modding Warcraft 3, as the game I have the most modding experience with and which is probably one of the easiest games to mod effectively, thanks to the powerful internal script engine combined with a large number of useful hardcoded capabilities.

The AI in question is based on a probably simplest implementation model, the main code being simply a large string of "if-then-elseif-elseif-...-elseif-else" statements, with the defensive and situation-specific condition-action pairs at first places, and gradually moving to more offensive and general ones as it goes.

There are some extra procedures for choosing the closest target of a select type, and for doing some miscellaneous things like self-healing on low health, as well as some internal memory stash for keeping track of important ability cooldowns (like the invulnerability shield) but they're just for higher quality of life.

It's quite surprising, even for myself, just how powerful a simple algorithm like this can be.
._.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #100337 on: April 10, 2016, 01:06:03 pm »

In a different thread, yes.

Nah, I saw that. I assume there's some kind of broader context involving an engine of some kind, which interests me because AI is a subject of some fascination for me.
The broader context is that I'm modding Warcraft 3, as the game I have the most modding experience with and which is probably one of the easiest games to mod effectively, thanks to the powerful internal script engine combined with a large number of useful hardcoded capabilities.

Aah, I see. Interesting!

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100338 on: April 10, 2016, 02:14:46 pm »

"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #100339 on: April 10, 2016, 02:49:27 pm »

Yes let's bring back the topic that got two people banned last time it was brought up!! Golly gee!!

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #100340 on: April 10, 2016, 03:06:10 pm »

needs more exclamation marks
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100341 on: April 10, 2016, 03:06:20 pm »

Uncalled for, Putnam.

All the same, it is rather eerie.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #100342 on: April 10, 2016, 03:25:24 pm »

All I remember of SC2000 was the people complaining about me bulldozing trees.

entire town was elves, I tell you.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #100343 on: April 10, 2016, 03:26:49 pm »

Uncalled for, Putnam.

i don't like people getting banned??

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #100344 on: April 10, 2016, 03:34:42 pm »

Let's bring another one.
It's more being annoyed than WTF but I hate those laws against portrayal of Nazism and so on. I mean, if I want to watch an Die Deutsche Wochenschau from 1941 on Youtube that proably means I proably have a reason to, but nooo, instead I either have to go through proxies because Poland doesn't allow this kind of stuff or sometimes I am left on ice because the video is removed all together because it was "inapproppriate".
Same goes for swastika removal in video games - tons of games with Nazis in them don't include swastikas. It's especially annoying when they instead put on something like Tomania crosses (why, just whyyy) or less disgusting Balkenkreuz (I do know that it was the main symbol on most German vehicles but some of them, mainly planes, also sported an Hakenkreuz on tail and so on, and the flags totally did have a swastika on them... I want to fight Nazis, not International Black Cross Organization). I can understand the game devs that they don't want to put them in games even if they aim for complete historical accuracy because that would outright ban the game in serveral European countries, but the laws are sometimes way too strict and in some cases outright retarded.
Let's not even start about the fact that USSR flag and other communist symbols are A-Okay.

I start to see the irony in some random Internet quote that "they're literally Nazis about this whole no-Nazi thing". Forbidding it from being show doesn't make it dissapear.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100345 on: April 10, 2016, 03:46:20 pm »

The Fourth Reich in the Metro books use a three-pointed version of the swastika. In the games? A black C. Weird.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #100346 on: April 10, 2016, 03:50:43 pm »

The Metro 2033 book is weird. It's really good, but it's weird.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100347 on: April 10, 2016, 04:05:25 pm »

So I laid open my foot on a tile revently. Only just noticed that along with healing the wound I'm also developing a nice callous, in what has to be evolution's most hilariously empty gesture.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #100348 on: April 10, 2016, 04:23:11 pm »

Huh, why? Is the weirdness coming from the Post-Apo setting or something else? It haven't really struck me as weird.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #100349 on: April 10, 2016, 04:48:17 pm »

Huh, why? Is the weirdness coming from the Post-Apo setting or something else? It haven't really struck me as weird.
Spoilered for those who haven't read the book.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...
Pages: 1 ... 6688 6689 [6690] 6691 6692 ... 11040