Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6689 6690 [6691] 6692 6693 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14436640 times)

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #100350 on: April 10, 2016, 05:04:18 pm »

The games deviated quite a bit from the book.

Though there are almost always alternate, less magical explanations for every supernatural experience presented.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The games are much more inclined towards things being supernatural.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #100351 on: April 10, 2016, 05:18:23 pm »

There is legitimate supernatural stuff, though.

You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #100352 on: April 10, 2016, 05:29:46 pm »

All of that stuff is pretty regular for Slavic Fantasy/Sci-Fi book. It tends to touch really crazy subjects and in general is very cool. I know when book is written by Russian, Polish or Czech or whatever author. It has this... human feeling to it, it tends to not be that over-the-top and hammy, but it knows when to get serious and in general... I think it's that for me because I get all the sublte references, I understand people's mindsets or something. It's nearly it's own genre IMO.

Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100353 on: April 10, 2016, 06:18:02 pm »

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #100354 on: April 10, 2016, 06:25:25 pm »

Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100355 on: April 10, 2016, 07:13:19 pm »

If you're trying to explain things, saying "I ain't gotta explain shit" is somewhat self defeating.

You might as well claim he's just dreaming the entire time. Artyom was just in a coma! Everything is solved!

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #100356 on: April 10, 2016, 08:13:17 pm »

Yeah, I get the feeling Metroverse was frakkin' weird even without the apocalypse. I'm guessing the reason why no-one noticed is because they didn't have to hide down in the dark for their entire lives before now, meaning less exposure to the creepy shit.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100357 on: April 10, 2016, 08:18:48 pm »

Of course, an alternate explanation: It's not based 100% in reality, psychics exist and reality isn't completely there.

It explains:
1) The mutations (radiation and evolution DO NOT WORK THAT WAY IRL)
2) Psychic stuff. Doesn't exist in reality. This also explains the mindrape that goes on with the Dark Ones
3) The anomalies. Which are areas where reality decides it's fed up with the nuclear holocaust stuff and just goes 'fuck it, here's some weird thing that takes the reality you know and love and turns it inside out'
That's a copout to say: "well, things just work like that in that universe."

The book even mentions  that the weird monsters and stuff that show up aren't normal:
These were strange, freakish, and dangerous creatures, the likes of which might well have brought Darwin himself to despair with their obvious lack of conformity to the laws of evolutionary development.

I think it even mentions that the mushrooms that they use to make tea don't match any species known before the bombs fell, suggesting that after the apocalypse things have started going weird.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100358 on: April 10, 2016, 08:32:47 pm »

...no?
I'm completely agreeing that the apocalypse messed reality up majorly.

Of course, an alternate explanation: It's not based 100% in reality, psychics exist and reality isn't completely there.

It explains:
1) The mutations (radiation and evolution DO NOT WORK THAT WAY IRL)
2) Psychic stuff. Doesn't exist in reality. This also explains the mindrape that goes on with the Dark Ones
3) The anomalies. Which are areas where reality decides it's fed up with the nuclear holocaust stuff and just goes 'fuck it, here's some weird thing that takes the reality you know and love and turns it inside out'

That seemed to me to be saying that the natural order was different from the beginning, not that the apocalypse had destroyed the natural order; perhaps I misread. To me, one of those seems much more reasonable to assume, considering the amount the possibility is talked about in the novel itself.

But no, the magic example is irrelevant. Eragon was always explicitly set in a fantasy world, with magic an integral part; Metro is set in a version of our own world. As a consequence there should be reasons for breaks in reality.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100359 on: April 10, 2016, 08:41:55 pm »

Some are way too out there. Sort-of hand-waved by "untested chemical warfare weapons", but that wouldn't turn a tiger into the monstrous flying Demon-Bitches capable of lifting a firetruck a few feet off of the ground.

The Library would make a great horror game idea though. Impossibly silent apes capable of mimicking human speech and tone? Terrifying.

Most other monsters just get minimal descriptions like dogs with incredibly short or basically no necks.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100360 on: April 10, 2016, 08:46:00 pm »

Some are way too out there. Sort-of hand-waved by "untested chemical warfare weapons", but that wouldn't turn a tiger into the monstrous flying Demon-Bitches capable of lifting a firetruck a few feet off of the ground.

The Library would make a great horror game idea though. Impossibly silent apes capable of mimicking human speech and tone? Terrifying.

Most other monsters just get minimal descriptions like dogs with incredibly short or basically no necks.

Hell, the library was pretty tense in the game, especially trying to stare them down.
Unless you had a helsing or the machineshotgun.
Then it was a blast.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #100361 on: April 10, 2016, 09:04:11 pm »

Hell, the library was pretty tense in the game, especially trying to stare them down.
Unless you had a helsing or the machineshotgun.
Then it was a blast.
Volt driver. Crank it until it hits the max. Melee attack to librarian face. Then again, that gun was so broken you could do the entire game without touching a single other gun.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #100362 on: April 10, 2016, 10:23:28 pm »

In a different thread, yes.

Nah, I saw that. I assume there's some kind of broader context involving an engine of some kind, which interests me because AI is a subject of some fascination for me.
The broader context is that I'm modding Warcraft 3, as the game I have the most modding experience with and which is probably one of the easiest games to mod effectively, thanks to the powerful internal script engine combined with a large number of useful hardcoded capabilities.
Warcraft 3 Editor \o/

I have been having moments of 'doing everything right and then forgetting the simplest, tiniest detail that's obvious when the thing you're doing starts up' lately. x_x Must be stress.
Like washing glasses with hot water then washing everything else, then hot water + hands.

At least I know my hands are ok vs. scalding water .-.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100363 on: April 10, 2016, 10:31:20 pm »

@Tiruin: :o
Good to see you're okay though.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #100364 on: April 10, 2016, 11:06:39 pm »

why do people talk about alcubierre drives as if they're merely prohibitively expensive instead of reliant on particles that, as far as we can tell, probably don't exist
Pages: 1 ... 6689 6690 [6691] 6692 6693 ... 11040