Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6537 6538 [6539] 6540 6541 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14442288 times)

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
  • You are doomed, doomed, I tell you!
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #98070 on: March 09, 2016, 12:36:17 pm »

You realise I was laughing at people who were phobic of feminism? Guess I didn't make the tiny /s clear enough.
When the most vocal members of a group are delusional and the majority doesn't speak out against them when they have the freedom to, absolutely everyone is at fault. Every ideology has extremists, but you should call them out if you can instead of letting them speak for you.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98071 on: March 09, 2016, 12:43:25 pm »

You realise I was laughing at people who were phobic of feminism? Guess I didn't make the tiny /s clear enough.
When the most vocal members of a group are delusional and the majority doesn't speak out against them when they have the freedom to, absolutely everyone is at fault. Every ideology has extremists, but you should call them out if you can instead of letting them speak for you.

Like Animal Rights and how they are represented almost exclusively by PETA

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98072 on: March 09, 2016, 12:58:09 pm »

The water-proof watch getting smashed by a hammer isn't ironic because there's no reversal of expectations; everyone expects the watch to still be broken by the hammer. If one hyped up the waterproofing and went on and on about how nothing was going to ruin it, then it would ironic when it got smashed by a hammer.

Now, when you hear "this house has been earthquake proofed", you think "this house will not be wrecked by an earthquake" and your subconscious adds in the clause "on condition that the earthquake-proofing was done properly". If that house is destroyed by an earthquake, you'll naturally assume that the clause was violated and your expectations aren't reversed, thus making it not ironic. The earthquake-proofed house being destroyed by a tornado, on the other fact, reverses two expectations. First, it reverses the expectation that a house prepared against one disaster will do fairly well against another (though this expectation may not be accurate). Second, there are no fault lines in Tornado Alley, so one of two things must have happened: either someone living in Tornado Alley foolishly decided to proof his house against earthquakes instead of tornadoes, or someone living nearly a fault line sensibly earthquake-proofed his house only to have it destroyed by a tornado, which to his knowledge would've seemed extremely foolish to proof his house against. Either way, you expected that the earthquake-proofed was never going to have been hit by a tornado in the first place, so that's some serious reversal of expectation right there.

Or at least that's how I process it.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 01:12:07 pm by cochramd »
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #98073 on: March 09, 2016, 01:08:17 pm »

The navigation/pathfinding stuff that comes with Unity has no way to make agents avoid eachother. If one agent's path takes it through another, it will gently push the agent aside until it reaches its destination, rather than avoiding it or cancelling the movement. That seems like a pretty tremendous oversight.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98074 on: March 09, 2016, 01:14:14 pm »

As for STEM.
Supposedly women are a few IQ points behind men on average (5 or so) so it would make sense if they are less common over there as most women students go for humanist studies like psychology (or gender studies *cough*) while STEM is about pure science. And considering that the requirements are pretty high it's obvious why few men and fewer women get in.
The Humanities are no more and no less intelligence-requiring than the Sciences, at least if you do it properly. That sort of 'STEM>Humanities' is pure bullshit and, to be honest, frightfully primitive.

As for women supposedly being less intelligent than men: Male supremacy much? IQ is just what the IQ test measures - the one you're citing probably comes from a test which puts emphasis on fields men are better at. Now, you could claim that these fields are the ones needed in STEM, and that's a point one can argue with a clean conscience - what you said is just plain insulting.

The quote-unquote funny reference to gender studies doesn't help either.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
  • You are doomed, doomed, I tell you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #98075 on: March 09, 2016, 01:16:01 pm »

Why is gender studies even a thing?

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98076 on: March 09, 2016, 01:19:42 pm »

Because the wiser predecessors of the tumblr crowd realized that if they couldn't put up hard data and instead only relied on anecdotes and whining about how they felt, no one would ever take them seriously.

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #98077 on: March 09, 2016, 01:25:09 pm »

Right? Gender is this primal human institution, one central to almost every society but interpreted differently depending on the place and time. It affects religion and culture, home life and politics. Gender is a thing that people throughout the world feel incredibly passionate about in very different ways, to the point that there have been tons of social and political movements focusing on gender. It's been discussed time and time again throughout history by countless different people. But what about any of that sounds like it's worth studying academically?

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98078 on: March 09, 2016, 01:26:53 pm »

Right? Gender is this primal human institution, one central to almost every society but interpreted differently depending on the place and time. It affects religion and culture, home life and politics. Gender is a thing that people throughout the world feel incredibly passionate about in very different ways, to the point that there have been tons of social and political movements focusing on gender. It's been discussed time and time again throughout history by countless different people. But what about any of that sounds like it's worth studying academically?
Yeah. It's better to stay focused on the truly important things in our culture, like Business Administration or Finance.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98079 on: March 09, 2016, 01:27:28 pm »

Thing is for most people, what do you need to know about it that you can't figure out from introspection and reflecting on the behavior of people that you know?

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #98080 on: March 09, 2016, 01:29:23 pm »

Erm. Would same go for psychology?
One wheel short of a wagon

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98081 on: March 09, 2016, 01:30:44 pm »

A psychologist is a doctor of the mind, though. When was the last time you needed to see a gender studies expert for anything?

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #98082 on: March 09, 2016, 01:37:59 pm »

To be honest, I associate what gender studies is "supposed" to be with specialized study in the field of history/sociology/psychology (or something), while I associate what gender studies actually is (IMHO) with feminazism and stuff like that. For me it's mostly a degree for the sake of having one.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98083 on: March 09, 2016, 01:41:12 pm »

To be honest, I associate what gender studies is "supposed" to be with specialized study in the field of history/sociology/psychology (or something), while I associate what gender studies actually is (IMHO) with feminazism and stuff like that. For me it's mostly a degree for the sake of having one.
Those are my exact feelings on the matter as well. When I looked at the wikipedia page for gender studies, I found this little tidbit
A study of drivers' propensity to use traffic information system showed that income and car ownership play an important role in travel behavior for men, while education and occupation were identified significant in the women's behavior.
and thought to myself "wow, that's interesting! Perhaps useless, but still interesting!" If that was the sort of thing we all thought of when we heard "gender studies", people wouldn't be taking potshots at it.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #98084 on: March 09, 2016, 01:41:41 pm »

Like Animal Rights and how they are represented almost exclusively by PETA
I don't agree with PETA on most things, but I'm not going to say "I don't agree with PETA on most things, but please stop kicking that dog" :P
Or like "I'm no MRA, but..."  "I'm no SJW, but..."
I would often have occasion to say both of those, but I usually don't.  Just because they (generalizing, they're very diverse groups) happen to agree with me about some things doesn't obligate me to disavow them every time I make a case.  If someone assumes I'm allied with MRAs or SJWs when I argue for full equality, that's not my fault.  I might still address it, if I care to correct someone who's making bad assumptions about *me* instead of addressing my points.

Also I make that sort of unsupported assumption about other people a lot.  I definitely shouldn't make arguments *based* on that assumption, though.

"There's a wage gap" "Oh yeah well Anita Sarkeesian!" is tiresome.  So is "Men deserve due process" "Stop victim blaming!"
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 6537 6538 [6539] 6540 6541 ... 11040