Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6538 6539 [6540] 6541 6542 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14442691 times)

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #98085 on: March 09, 2016, 01:43:40 pm »

"There's a wage gap"
Not when you compare people in the same careers, there isn't....
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #98086 on: March 09, 2016, 01:46:39 pm »

Yes there is, it just isn't 77%.
And the 77% is real too, it just doesn't mean what some people might assume, exactly.

Edit: I'm sorry I mean "how long have you been a MRA you monster"
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #98087 on: March 09, 2016, 01:47:33 pm »

Have you gone over any gender studies curriculum to give it this "feminazi" rating? Because all the gender studies classes I've seen are pretty much exactly what you say they're "supposed to be", to the point where most of them can also count as history/sociology/psychology credits.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98088 on: March 09, 2016, 01:47:47 pm »

As for STEM.
Supposedly women are a few IQ points behind men on average (5 or so) so it would make sense if they are less common over there as most women students go for humanist studies like psychology (or gender studies *cough*) while STEM is about pure science. And considering that the requirements are pretty high it's obvious why few men and fewer women get in.
The Humanities are no more and no less intelligence-requiring than the Sciences, at least if you do it properly. That sort of 'STEM>Humanities' is pure bullshit and, to be honest, frightfully primitive.

As for women supposedly being less intelligent than men: Male supremacy much? IQ is just what the IQ test measures - the one you're citing probably comes from a test which puts emphasis on fields men are better at. Now, you could claim that these fields are the ones needed in STEM, and that's a point one can argue with a clean conscience - what you said is just plain insulting.

The quote-unquote funny reference to gender studies doesn't help either.

Honestly? If i were 5 IQ points behind or in front of someone i wouldn't give a damn.
Now if i said every man is a genius compared to women that would be insulting.
But it's just a 5 point average on a whatever IQ has for a scale (goes from 0 to 150+ i suppose because i didn't find any mentions of a cap).
There are women smarter than men and men smarter than women and a difference of 5 is just not nearly enough to conclude that women are retards who can't do basic math.
Also i never said that STEM>Humanist. Hell i have a degree in a humanist field (International relations) myself. I just noted that women go for humanist studies more often than men.

And as you said yourself IQ is just what it measures and a 5 point difference out of a 200 or even 150 is almost utterly negligible but might have an effect on the gender ratio within a high IQ dependent discipline (Like STEM).
Problems arise when people start outright assuming that women can't into math and discard female applicants without giving them even a chance because "hurr wimmins stoopid" and that's something that needs to be eliminated.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98089 on: March 09, 2016, 01:54:05 pm »

What wage gap exists when you compare people with the same careers sometimes goes the other way though, and where it exists as we expect it to it can be explained by men being more likely to ask for raises. It's clear that we no longer live in an era where you can pay a woman less just because she's a woman. Some companies hire illegal immigrants because they know they can pay them less and get away with it, so wouldn't other companies hire women for they could similarly get away with paying them less?

Have you gone over any gender studies curriculum to give it this "feminazi" rating? Because all the gender studies classes I've seen are pretty much exactly what you say they're "supposed to be", to the point where most of them can also count as history/sociology/psychology credits.
I haven't, but I took an indigenous studies course once. I thought it was going to be learning about the various cultures of the aboriginals of Canada, but instead it was 60-70% guilt trip.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 01:59:40 pm by cochramd »

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #98090 on: March 09, 2016, 02:28:52 pm »

No, not really, I never actually bothered to do this because the amount of the tumblrminists that claim to take gender studies and spill into internet is enough. I mean, it's not like the memes and those horrible pictures of stereotypical feminazis get from nowhere. I suspect that at least some of the gender studies are okay, since normal people also end up there, but even then I would never think of it as a major discipline, more like a dwarf splinter of history or something.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98091 on: March 09, 2016, 02:31:48 pm »

It extends into psychology and anthropology as well. It's strange, because I can see how it extends into all 3 fields, but on the other hand it's just weird for ANYTHING to extend into 3 fields.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #98092 on: March 09, 2016, 02:32:37 pm »

Thing is for most people, what do you need to know about it that you can't figure out from introspection and reflecting on the behavior of people that you know?
... Most people aren't in Gender studies?

Like, you could say the same about medicine. "Thing is for most people, what do you need to know that you can't figure out from soap and bandages?"

Nothing in Academia is for "most people," or else it wouldn't be in academia, it would be in high school or earlier.

The thing about knowledge is that, while human beings in administration have compartmentalized all these aspects into separate fields, something you find in one field can have a deep impact on an entirely separate field. "What use is this field?" is like saying "What use is a wheat stalk?" It has no use until you process it and mix it with other ingredients, and you get a cake. And even then, you can still study the stalk and learn about biology, growth, agriculture, nutrition, photosynthesis, etc.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 02:35:44 pm by Descan »
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98093 on: March 09, 2016, 02:39:42 pm »

Like, you could say the same about medicine. "Thing is for most people, what do you need to know that you can't figure out from soap and bandages?"
If you have a concussion, then acetaminophen based painkillers (Tylenol) are to use, but ibuprofen based painkillers (Advil, Motrin IB) and aspirin can make the bleeding worse. Does that sound like something you want to learn first hand? (granted, this isn't taught in high school outside of electives, but you can say that about a lot of knowledge that's useful in day to day life)

The thing about knowledge is that, while human beings in administration have compartmentalized all these aspects into separate fields, something you find in one field can have a deep impact on an entirely separate field. "What use is this field?" is like saying "What use is a wheat stalk?" It has no use until you process it and mix it with other ingredients, and you get a cake. And even then, you can still study the stalk and learn about biology, growth, agriculture, nutrition, photosynthesis, etc.
Wheat stalk can be used to feed livestock without processing. In fact, it can feed people too, though it does take processing for it to do a good job of it.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 02:42:47 pm by cochramd »

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #98094 on: March 09, 2016, 02:43:15 pm »

"What use is a wheat stalk?"
You can use it to stalk more.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #98095 on: March 09, 2016, 02:46:03 pm »

Mm. Then replace wheat stalk with some agricultural good that is inedible by anything until processed. I think there's a couple that are toxic?
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #98096 on: March 09, 2016, 02:47:48 pm »

what good a pufferfish
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #98097 on: March 09, 2016, 02:49:37 pm »

Well, that metaphor got demolished. Looks like gender studies has no applications at all guys!

Apart from psychology (no shit), pretty much anything cultural (by which I mean art, film, literature, etc), and probably some behavourial studies (which ties in to economics, which ties in to mad dosh).

what good a pufferfish
Projectile weapon?
One wheel short of a wagon

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98098 on: March 09, 2016, 02:50:06 pm »

Mm. Then replace wheat stalk with some agricultural good that is inedible by anything until processed. I think there's a couple that are toxic?
Not an expert farmer, but those ones are most likely all dyes and textiles. Textiles evolved from nets and woven baskets, while dyes were discovered incidentally.

what good a pufferfish
Poisoning your enemies. Research it a little more, and you'll find there's a way to process it so that it's safe, allowing you to shift the blame to the chef.

Well, that metaphor got demolished. Looks like gender studies has no applications at all guys!

Apart from psychology (no shit), pretty much anything cultural (by which I mean art, film, literature, etc), and probably some behavourial studies (which ties in to economics, which ties in to mad dosh).
Gender studies as a number of different specializations in different fields makes sense and provides benefits. It this all encompassing "I have a degree in Gender Studies" that is going to land your resume in the trash.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 02:53:04 pm by cochramd »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98099 on: March 09, 2016, 02:52:19 pm »

I wish I REALLY wish for once I could just say "They are just breasts" when there is a female character with large ones.

Because yeah there are people with large and even gigantic ones in real life and frankly it kind of indirectly tells them to be ashamed of their body.

Yet GOODNESS if it isn't the case every time there is a woman in fiction with large breasts that they don't have to be a freeken show piece... Dang spring loaded jello breasts.
Pages: 1 ... 6538 6539 [6540] 6541 6542 ... 11040