Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6539 6540 [6541] 6542 6543 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14441233 times)

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #98100 on: March 09, 2016, 02:52:19 pm »

Nettles? Nope, internet says they're useful. Actually, looks like gender studies must be useful on their own. Point proven.
One wheel short of a wagon

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98101 on: March 09, 2016, 03:16:53 pm »

You have to admit though, "Degree in Gender Studies" sounds a lot like "Degree in Electricity", in that if you saw it on a resume, you would immediately begin to question that person's competence. You need to know what field they're in, and they have failed to do that where others found it trivially easy. Are they not qualified for the job and trying to hide it from you? Are they just plain stupid? "Degree in Psychology, Specializing in Gender Studies" and "Degree in Cultural Anthropology, Specializing in Gender Studies", on the other hand, sound like "Degree in Electrical Engineering, Specializing in Telecommunications". Their field is clearly defined, and they have a specialty which makes them very attractive for certain positions.
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98102 on: March 09, 2016, 03:20:03 pm »

I admit there are some degrees that seem to create what I call the PHD Idiots.

But they are ALWAYS in the soft-sciences

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #98103 on: March 09, 2016, 03:39:12 pm »

The Humanities are no more and no less intelligence-requiring than the Sciences, at least if you do it properly. That sort of 'STEM>Humanities' is pure bullshit and, to be honest, frightfully primitive.
Yeah right, so primitive IT'S THE CURRENT YEAR GUYS

As for women supposedly being less intelligent than men: Male supremacy much? IQ is just what the IQ test measures - the one you're citing probably comes from a test which puts emphasis on fields men are better at. Now, you could claim that these fields are the ones needed in STEM, and that's a point one can argue with a clean conscience - what you said is just plain insulting.
In which case they are also an Ashkenazi supremacist

The quote-unquote funny reference to gender studies doesn't help either.
Waste four years of your life and 36 grand learning about sexual dissidence you could've spent developing life experience, career skills, doing any other degree whatsoever or even just studying feminist, freudian and marxist theory yourself for a fraction of the cost or time (or indeed in tandem with other courses which offer more)

Yeah nah, you're not making beans afterwards

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #98104 on: March 09, 2016, 03:50:24 pm »

If you just want a basic job that doesnt require skilled knowledge, your employer probably doesnt care if your degree was in gender studies or a PHD in animal psychology. You look better than the other applicants because you put your time and money towards something until you got what you wanted, and got some degree of education in the process.

I honestly cant see any advantage to having a degree in gender studies over liberal arts, though, in terms of employability. It's definitely a degree in "i went to college!" either one you choose.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98105 on: March 09, 2016, 04:33:27 pm »

Walking out of class. Hear a girl freaking out because she can't remember where she left her one-year-old.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #98106 on: March 09, 2016, 04:47:33 pm »

Walking out of class. Hear a girl freaking out because she can't remember where she left her one-year-old.
Please be a pet rat please be a pet rat

Thing is for most people, what do you need to know about it that you can't figure out from introspection and reflecting on the behavior of people that you know?
https://xkcd.com/793/
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98107 on: March 09, 2016, 04:56:29 pm »

Pet rats seem an odd choice to me.

All I heard was one-year-old. Could be anything.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98108 on: March 09, 2016, 04:57:08 pm »

Yeah, why rat specifically? Really any pet would be far better than a child. If anything rats would be pretty bad because they can get into lots of places and are hard to find because they're small and quiet (ish).
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 04:59:14 pm by Graknorke »
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98109 on: March 09, 2016, 05:04:14 pm »

Rat is better than hamster because hamsters are nocturnal
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98110 on: March 09, 2016, 05:12:07 pm »

Thing is for most people, what do you need to know about it that you can't figure out from introspection and reflecting on the behavior of people that you know?
https://xkcd.com/793/
But what do I need to know? What won't I learn from interacting with family and friends that I'm absolutely screwed without? And furthermore, what do I not need to know but would still benefit from in day-to-day life?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 05:15:10 pm by cochramd »
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98111 on: March 09, 2016, 05:17:24 pm »

Rat is better than hamster because hamsters are nocturnal
I didn't mean in terms of pet quality. I meant in terms of badness of losing said pet.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #98112 on: March 09, 2016, 05:28:11 pm »

My first thought was turtle but turtles are too cute to lose track of.
Well, so are pet rats, but I've always loved turtles.  I guess a turtle would make more sense since they apparently left it somewhere, because turtles are slow.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98113 on: March 09, 2016, 05:38:25 pm »

When one of my rats kept getting loose, she'd wander around the house until she found a sleeping human to cuddle into bed with. Some of those humans were less impressed by this than others.

Made me kinda worried for her safety, but at least we'd always find her. She was a good rat. ):

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #98114 on: March 09, 2016, 05:41:41 pm »

I'd respect someone with a degree in Gender Studies/Philosophy/Art History/whatever more than someone with a degree from their university's business college in Business Admin or Communications or whatever. They'll have learned more useful knowledge from it, too.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 6539 6540 [6541] 6542 6543 ... 11040