Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6483 6484 [6485] 6486 6487 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14442424 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #97260 on: February 25, 2016, 03:30:10 pm »

I don't know, if you were in an area with a lot of gang crime it might be more a case of, "Oh, those assholes are shooting at each other from opposite ends of the street again, better chill behind my couch until they get it out of their system". Obviously if it's some kind of assassination you aren't going to have much couch time.

And of course if someone barges into your house to shoot at you, your couch probably won't save you.
Unless in some Hollywood moment you manage to dive behind it, preferably in slow motion.

#1 being attacked
#2 call Mormon hit squad

I'm quite angry that in the UK we banned Mormon hit squads so you can't defend yourself from gang crossfires anymore

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #97261 on: February 25, 2016, 03:31:27 pm »

I don't know, if you were in an area with a lot of gang crime
I do.
it might be more a case of, "Oh, those assholes are shooting at each other from opposite ends of the street again, better chill behind my couch until they get it out of their system".

It won't. Every shooting incident I've ever heard has been two to six quick shots, followed by nothing. Over in the time it takes you to recognize that it is gunfire.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #97262 on: February 25, 2016, 03:33:02 pm »

Yeah, that's my experience too.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #97263 on: February 25, 2016, 03:36:22 pm »

On a serious note, whilst we never got rid of gun crime in the UK, our gun crime tends to be people getting mugged or street executions. Don't recall a gunfight that wasn't terrorism related in... Ever. Improvised bomb and firework fight yes, but no gunfights.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #97264 on: February 25, 2016, 03:41:59 pm »

Actual gunfights are quite rare around here. It's mostly idiots spraying a few shots at a house (with an already completely illegal weapon, in most cases) because it is somehow related to a rival gang. Shootouts do happen from time to time, but even then people other than the shooter rarely get hit (turns out rap videos and video games are pretty bad at teaching basic gun safety and marksmanship).
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #97265 on: February 25, 2016, 03:43:56 pm »

There aren't really any gangs in my hometown, but in a big city I've heard a couple times an extremely loud gunshot echoing across several blocks. Never more than one. Semiautomatic firearms are uncommon in Finland, but there are many old wartime bolt-action rifles in circulation, both legally and illegally.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #97266 on: February 25, 2016, 04:21:02 pm »

Living near a crime-dominated favela, I can attest that it can be a pretty good idea to find some cover in case of gunshots, since every now and then (I'd say somewhere around a third and a fourth of the time) whomever is getting shot at fires back. Fortunately, these walls are thick.

It probably doesn't help that there seem to be two criminal factions fighting for control of the drug trade in the city.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #97267 on: February 25, 2016, 04:55:33 pm »

AFAIK, gun "fights" are pretty rare outside of actual law enforcement or warfare as after a few shots people end up dead, and when one side of the transgressors is dead it is hard for a fight to continue.
This is a blank sig.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #97268 on: February 25, 2016, 04:59:56 pm »

On a serious note, whilst we never got rid of gun crime in the UK, our gun crime tends to be people getting mugged or street executions. Don't recall a gunfight that wasn't terrorism related in... Ever. Improvised bomb and firework fight yes, but no gunfights.
There was a drive by shooting in my town some years back... they missed with a shotgun at close range.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #97269 on: February 25, 2016, 05:06:32 pm »

There hasn't been a shooting anywhere near where I live in recent memory. There were... two(?) shootings with deaths in the past few years that I can think of, country-wide. Admittedly there's still the occasional stabbing, but most people get out of that alive.
Gun control. It works, baka.

Ladies and gentlemen, straight out of left field, we have um ... Utah's senate trying to repeal the 17th amendment passed in 1913. For those of you asking "What is the 17th amendment and why should we care," notice that "those of you asking" ... is all of you.
As someone who isn't American I find this hilarious. If, on the off-chance that is does pass, you were probably all buggered from the get-go anyway.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #97270 on: February 25, 2016, 05:06:54 pm »

Soooo, Disgaea's PC port came out like, yesterday, and holy crap is it badly ported. I'm not sure how they managed to screw up so bad. We're talking nigh unplayability without serious tweaking, and even then there's massive screen tearing issues and absurd slowdowns that should never happen in a game like this. Unless this gets fixed somehow, Nippon Icchi can kiss the PC goodbye. I love their stuff, and I've met with some pretty terrible ports before, but honestly, I expected more of them.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97271 on: February 25, 2016, 05:11:38 pm »

Soooo, Disgaea's PC port came out like, yesterday, and holy crap is it badly ported. I'm not sure how they managed to screw up so bad. We're talking nigh unplayability without serious tweaking, and even then there's massive screen tearing issues and absurd slowdowns that should never happen in a game like this. Unless this gets fixed somehow, Nippon Icchi can kiss the PC goodbye. I love their stuff, and I've met with some pretty terrible ports before, but honestly, I expected more of them.
See, the port is actually pretty hit-or-miss. I had a few issues with my controller, but now that I've resolved them (by unplugging the controller then plugging it back in) the game seems to be working perfectly.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #97272 on: February 25, 2016, 05:25:25 pm »

Is it a port of Hour of Darkness or Afternoon of Darkness (the PSP port with some added content)?

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #97273 on: February 25, 2016, 05:31:37 pm »

They said several times they'd not bother with PC, but this is the first of several games they wanted to port to test the waters for real. Odds are they'll keep doing it as their games are pretty popular with the typical pc gaming crowd.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #97274 on: February 25, 2016, 05:32:43 pm »

In that case, I might have to get it if they clean the port up. I find mobile gaming (on the PSP in particular, for some reason) uncomfortable for extended periods of time, and the PSN release for the PS3 is just the PS2 version.
Pages: 1 ... 6483 6484 [6485] 6486 6487 ... 11040