Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6482 6483 [6484] 6485 6486 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14442554 times)

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #97245 on: February 25, 2016, 01:48:48 pm »

Ugh I still remember the "This one tune lets you play any song"

Which I would respond to with "Yes, of course you can play just about any song if you have METER..."
...what? I can't parse what you're trying to say here, at least not in a way that makes sense.
My guess is, this is about some guide that explains how to play the chromatic scale (which is probably what Neo means with 'meter'). Most modern music only uses notes from that, but saying it lets one play any song is pretty close to saying that having all the parts of a car lets one build a car from scratch. It's technically true, but there is much more to it. Really, any guide that promises to make any skill that requires years of practice easy, is probably omitting a lot of essential things.

Of course, I'm really just guessing on what Neo's meaning is, and might be wrong.
Calling the chromatic scale 'meter' is in the ballpark of saying that you like the voicing of the C minor syncopation in this song.

And if Neo meant actual meter... the statement is wrong even still. x_x
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #97246 on: February 25, 2016, 02:11:06 pm »

what manner of career has this man had, that he is professor of political science and professor of surgery and professor of biostatistics at the same university
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97247 on: February 25, 2016, 02:17:55 pm »

Political Biosurgery

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #97248 on: February 25, 2016, 02:29:19 pm »

He rewires politicians' brains to completely misunderstand statistics? That would explain a lot.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #97249 on: February 25, 2016, 02:35:18 pm »

Lol a black kid just called my people sleazy today, wehre is mah safe space need haplp pls cannot even rit now segrgat evrthin

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97250 on: February 25, 2016, 02:39:42 pm »

sorry lw you're a brit so you can't be free from oppression like americans

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #97251 on: February 25, 2016, 02:40:35 pm »

tfw oppression

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97252 on: February 25, 2016, 02:46:19 pm »

I'm guessing a bulletproof couch would just be something for one to hide behind in the event of a shooting in or outside of one's home.
Like, a lot of houses are pretty shoddily built, and a stray bullet from a gunfight out in the street could easily make its way inside and hit somebody in an unhealthy location despite them having nothing to do with said gunfight. I saw it in a movie once. More than once.
I think it's actually a fairly sensible invention for areas with lots of bullets whizzing about.

My own WTF: for some reason I've been sweating so much in bed lately that I wake up feeling like I've pissed myself.
(I haven't.) Pretty weird.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #97253 on: February 25, 2016, 02:52:03 pm »

I'm guessing a bulletproof couch would just be something for one to hide behind in the event of a shooting in or outside of one's home.
Like, a lot of houses are pretty shoddily built, and a stray bullet from a gunfight out in the street could easily make its way inside and hit somebody in an unhealthy location despite them having nothing to do with said gunfight. I saw it in a movie once. More than once.
I think it's actually a fairly sensible invention for areas with lots of bullets whizzing about.

It would be - if the vast majority of shootings weren't over in seconds, and that you won't even know shots are being fired until after they've all already hit. Sure, the couch would help you if a bullet happened to be heading toward the half of your body protected by it, but if one passed through where your upper body (which contains most of the more important bits) is, it wouldn't do a damn thing.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97254 on: February 25, 2016, 02:54:33 pm »

Which is why you should cover your whole body with kevlar 24/7. Or steel.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #97255 on: February 25, 2016, 03:01:04 pm »

Or do the sensible thing and live in a bunker underwater.
One wheel short of a wagon

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97256 on: February 25, 2016, 03:02:37 pm »

While you're at it cut out your superfluous body and hook yourself up to a billion servers.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #97257 on: February 25, 2016, 03:06:11 pm »

While you're at it transcend existence

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97258 on: February 25, 2016, 03:26:52 pm »

It would be - if the vast majority of shootings weren't over in seconds, and that you won't even know shots are being fired until after they've all already hit. Sure, the couch would help you if a bullet happened to be heading toward the half of your body protected by it, but if one passed through where your upper body (which contains most of the more important bits) is, it wouldn't do a damn thing.
I don't know, if you were in an area with a lot of gang crime it might be more a case of, "Oh, those assholes are shooting at each other from opposite ends of the street again, better chill behind my couch until they get it out of their system". Obviously if it's some kind of assassination you aren't going to have much couch time.

And of course if someone barges into your house to shoot at you, your couch probably won't save you.
Unless in some Hollywood moment you manage to dive behind it, preferably in slow motion.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #97259 on: February 25, 2016, 03:27:03 pm »

Ugh I still remember the "This one tune lets you play any song"

Which I would respond to with "Yes, of course you can play just about any song if you have METER..."
...what? I can't parse what you're trying to say here, at least not in a way that makes sense.
My guess is, this is about some guide that explains how to play the chromatic scale (which is probably what Neo means with 'meter'). Most modern music only uses notes from that, but saying it lets one play any song is pretty close to saying that having all the parts of a car lets one build a car from scratch. It's technically true, but there is much more to it. Really, any guide that promises to make any skill that requires years of practice easy, is probably omitting a lot of essential things.

Of course, I'm really just guessing on what Neo's meaning is, and might be wrong.
Calling the chromatic scale 'meter' is in the ballpark of saying that you like the voicing of the C minor syncopation in this song.

And if Neo meant actual meter... the statement is wrong even still. x_x

I mean have you seen how often people in fiction will hear a single note or chord and confidently say what key the song is
Pages: 1 ... 6482 6483 [6484] 6485 6486 ... 11040