Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6356 6357 [6358] 6359 6360 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14460057 times)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #95355 on: February 04, 2016, 04:55:20 pm »

Edit: much as it physically arouses me to share my opinions on things, in hindsight this is seeming like the perfect place to -snip the sex and sexuality conversation before things go smeeprocket.

Let the waifus flow.
guise i gave up my opinom for dis.
Moove tredd.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95356 on: February 04, 2016, 05:02:07 pm »

I've been considering erasing my posts on the subject, but that's something I'm loath to do (it bugs me when people go back and do that, making it impossible to understand a conversation). Though I'm wondering if we've been breaking the guidelines by talking about this at all.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 05:55:10 pm by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95357 on: February 04, 2016, 05:03:22 pm »

Not really, I don't think.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #95358 on: February 04, 2016, 05:08:07 pm »

It's something safest not to bring up, it's caused a lot of serious flamewars here over the last 3 years particularly.  Often spilling out of the containment threads.

So, in wtf...  I have a cold so it's hard to understand me, and I'm not thinking great, so when I went to Bojangles I accidentally got 6 blueberry biscuits instead of pieces of chicken

The clerk was muttering too I think but still

Also the power went out across a quarter of the city for like an hour, but it's all better now.  Haven't heard why it happened yet.  Sat around outside for a while, actually felt nice (it stopped raining yesterday).
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #95359 on: February 04, 2016, 05:22:09 pm »

Honestly, why not redefine gender to mean personal identity? Like, we had two words for the same thing (because people thought outward appearance, genitals, and internal identity were all synonymous) and then, when that was shown to be incorrect, we kept one of those words to keep meaning biological (as in, chromosomal) matters, and the other to mean the personal identity and outward appearance.

Because it already means something else. Why not get a new word?

That's like saying that since "crimson" and "scarlet" both mean "red" we should change one of them to mean whatever the progressive topic of the week is.

I've been considering erasing my posts on the subject, but that's something I'm loath to do (it bugs me when people go back and do that, making it impossible to understand a conversation). Though I'm wondering if we've been breaking the guidelines by talking about this at all.

This is part of the reason why I compulsively back up threads to my computer now.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 05:24:53 pm by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95360 on: February 04, 2016, 06:03:03 pm »

I just finished replacing them with song quotes, too. Not that I can erase where you quoted me or anything.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #95361 on: February 04, 2016, 06:07:37 pm »

Honestly, why not redefine gender to mean personal identity? Like, we had two words for the same thing (because people thought outward appearance, genitals, and internal identity were all synonymous) and then, when that was shown to be incorrect, we kept one of those words to keep meaning biological (as in, chromosomal) matters, and the other to mean the personal identity and outward appearance.

Because it already means something else. Why not get a new word?

That's like saying that since "crimson" and "scarlet" both mean "red" we should change one of them to mean whatever the progressive topic of the week is.
No, it's more like if crimson and scarlet both meant the exact same shade of red, and there was another shade of red that didn't have a name yet, so crimson was attached to that shade instead of the scarlet shade.

As for why not use a new word: Why make up a new word when there's a perfectly serviceable word right there?

People mock "SJWs" for using pronouns like Xe or Hir instead of They, then when they DO use They, they get mocked because "They isn't singular!" They're either mocked for using an old word "improperly" or making up a new word. Same thing here, if they did come up with a new word (where would you even start for that?) for gender, then they'd get mocked for using "fake words."

This is all assuming you're correct that using gender and sex differently is new, which I went along with because even if you were right about that, your conclusions are wrong. But I don't actually think that drawing such a distinction IS new.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #95362 on: February 04, 2016, 06:13:34 pm »

And, I keep forgetting actually, but it's not like singular they is new.
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95363 on: February 04, 2016, 06:14:35 pm »

A coworker complained to me that she had requested a day off a month in advance, reminded the manager two weeks before, finds out that she was scheduled the day she requested off, and then gets chewed out by the same manager for not reminding him about her day off. Then the morning meeting started with him telling everyone about how we need to keep track of our requests off ourselves. Then the store manager starts, saying that one of the things we had mentioned in an employee survey was accountability, so that we could be sure "the guy next to us" wasn't slacking off if we were working hard. Then he claims this is being done by saying he fired the manager-trainee for poor attendance when his attendance wasn't that bad.

So, there's a bit of blatant incompetence followed by blame-shifting, followed again by taking care of an issue by scapegoating someone else unrelated to the issue. Oh, and I also learned that for store employees in the company worldwide(300-something stores in the US, Canada, including four stores in Australia), we have an employee turnover rate of 104%. For reference, a turnover rate of 30% is considered problematic.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #95364 on: February 04, 2016, 06:16:47 pm »

Its either they or it for singular, and people complain more about it than they complain about they.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95365 on: February 04, 2016, 06:18:01 pm »

104% turnover per year?!?!   :o Dear god.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #95366 on: February 04, 2016, 06:19:46 pm »

They wouldn't get mocked, necessarily. The use of a new word forcibly introduced by a minority into a language is never high.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #95367 on: February 04, 2016, 06:24:11 pm »

All of which reinforces my main point of "it wouldn't work."
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #95368 on: February 04, 2016, 06:26:06 pm »

Yep.

If you get the majority of people to distance themselves from their gender, then a significant change in the use of pronouns will be seen.

As it stands, there isn't any desire to do so really.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #95369 on: February 04, 2016, 06:42:47 pm »

I guess it comes in stages.
Asking to be referred to as "they" online is easy.
Asking my friends to do it, eh, I could but... maybe tomorrow.  There's family overlap.
Asking my boss to do it, then we'll have won.

Because if my boss does it, I really don't give a shit whether recessives won't.
She/they
Pages: 1 ... 6356 6357 [6358] 6359 6360 ... 11040