Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6355 6356 [6357] 6358 6359 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14457567 times)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #95340 on: February 04, 2016, 02:19:40 pm »

That or a megaproject engraved with images of every forum member :v
Didn't somebody do something similar to that once? Like a tower where each floor was engraved with a 50x50 tile version of a variety of different Bay12 user avatars? I seem to remember something like that in one of the upper boards at some point.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95342 on: February 04, 2016, 02:36:00 pm »

If you are gonna enshrine ALL the waifus... you are gonna need to engrave them on Planepacked.
Oh, there are other ways...
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95343 on: February 04, 2016, 02:41:52 pm »

If you are gonna enshrine ALL the waifus... you are gonna need to engrave them on Planepacked.
Create the one true OMNIWAIFU.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95344 on: February 04, 2016, 02:44:56 pm »

Create the one true OMNIWAIFU.
Sort of. I've had an LP idea rattling around my brain for a little while, but this waifu discussion is making me more inclined to actually start it :P
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #95345 on: February 04, 2016, 02:50:52 pm »

The word "homosexual" clearly refers to "sex", not "gender".
That's... huh, that seems like a good point.
Maybe it's homosexual but not gay?

IDK, I of course meant it's possible to be attracted to penises but not to men.  Though I wouldn't know that directly, preferring both.

How do you say "appeal to dictionary fallacy?"

At least I'm appealing to a valid dictionary rather than one that arbitrarily redefines things to accommodate feelings.

Androphilia and gynephilia are terms used in behavioral science to describe sexual orientation as an alternative to a gender binary conceptualization. Androphilia describes sexual attraction to masculinity; gynephilia describes the sexual attraction to femininity.[9] The term sexual preference largely overlaps with sexual orientation, but is generally distinguished in psychological research.[10] A person who identifies as bisexual, for example, may sexually prefer one sex over the other.[11] Sexual preference may also suggest a degree of voluntary choice,[10][12][13] whereas the scientific consensus is that sexual orientation is not a choice.[14][15][16]

I approve of this neologism, as it neatly sidesteps the problem of argument by insane and/or orwellian-machiavellian definition.

Now we just need corresponding analogs to "man" and "woman". And also a corresponding analog to "sex" that isn't an existing synonym redefined by arbitrary fiat to not be synonymous anymore
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 03:14:00 pm by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95346 on: February 04, 2016, 03:05:20 pm »

Sirus:
Desktop background slideshow? Screensaver slideshow? Favorite pictures on your phone set to slideshow on your lock screen? One of these? I bet they could make a ton of money selling customizations based on anime characters with voice acting or a synthesized voice modeled on a real one.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 05:50:54 pm by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #95347 on: February 04, 2016, 03:12:57 pm »

Spoiler: Remember, kids! (click to show/hide)

On an unrelated note, I think it's time to compile a "waifu statue" mod simply for the sole purpose of being able to have more than one waifu (statue).

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95348 on: February 04, 2016, 03:27:23 pm »

What did I just read?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95349 on: February 04, 2016, 03:39:47 pm »

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95350 on: February 04, 2016, 03:40:31 pm »

Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #95351 on: February 04, 2016, 03:43:38 pm »

The word "homosexual" clearly refers to "sex", not "gender".
That's... huh, that seems like a good point.
Maybe it's homosexual but not gay?

IDK, I of course meant it's possible to be attracted to penises but not to men.  Though I wouldn't know that directly, preferring both.

How do you say "appeal to dictionary fallacy?"
one that arbitrarily redefines things to accommodate feelings.
...Wait, what's wrong with accommodating feelings? If it flies in the face of all logic and progress, sure, but iunno.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #95352 on: February 04, 2016, 04:18:57 pm »

one that arbitrarily redefines things to accommodate feelings.
...Wait, what's wrong with accommodating feelings? If it flies in the face of all logic and progress, sure, but iunno.
Removing context fucks things up.
Now we just need corresponding analogs to "man" and "woman". And also a corresponding analog to "sex" that isn't an existing synonym redefined by arbitrary fiat to not be synonymous anymore
This shows that it is the redefinition that gets his goat. Presumably he would give fewer shits if it was a new word instead of "gender".
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #95353 on: February 04, 2016, 04:20:27 pm »

Oooohhhh. I gotcha.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #95354 on: February 04, 2016, 04:29:23 pm »

Honestly, why not redefine gender to mean personal identity? Like, we had two words for the same thing (because people thought outward appearance, genitals, and internal identity were all synonymous) and then, when that was shown to be incorrect, we kept one of those words to keep meaning biological (as in, chromosomal) matters, and the other to mean the personal identity and outward appearance.

*Obviously, I feel these are two distinct concepts, but for a lot of people outward appearance acts as a signal for internal identity, so for the most part they are causally linked and can make do with one word. While biological/genital matters were, for a lot of people, linked to internal identity and thus outward appearance, there is enough wiggle room there to deserve a separation.

We went from one* concept without a word and one (well, thought-to-be-one) concept with two words, to one word each. I don't see the problem with that.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 04:31:56 pm by Descan »
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.
Pages: 1 ... 6355 6356 [6357] 6358 6359 ... 11040