Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6223 6224 [6225] 6226 6227 ... 11039

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14433878 times)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #93360 on: January 06, 2016, 06:01:55 pm »

There's some players I know I cringe when I see...
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93361 on: January 06, 2016, 06:02:36 pm »

Humanity has a food problem and climate change but we still haven't planted shrubs/trees/vines everywhere.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93362 on: January 06, 2016, 06:04:26 pm »

Humanity has a food problem and climate change but we still haven't planted shrubs/trees/vines everywhere.
...We should expand Arbor Day to Plant Week.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #93363 on: January 06, 2016, 06:06:35 pm »

Much of what has been discussed in the past page or so belongs on that thread of things that horrify you.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93364 on: January 06, 2016, 06:07:39 pm »

You know that unemployment problem we have? ... Yeah.

Bernie Sanders 2016

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93365 on: January 06, 2016, 06:11:14 pm »

Much of what has been discussed in the past page or so belongs on that thread of things that horrify you.
We have that?
Sigtext

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #93366 on: January 06, 2016, 06:16:23 pm »

Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #93368 on: January 06, 2016, 06:24:48 pm »

Bernie Sanders 2016
Fun fact, apparently, planting trees and such might actually be a detrimental influence on global warming, and food problems can't just be fixed by planting more fruit trees, either, most first-world countries have a ton of excess food produced that just goes to waste, well, why not deliver that stuff? There's the problem of getting all that food over to third world countries, there's a reason why in school you have to give canned food and the like to donate, it's because otherwise all that stuff would just be rotten mush by the time they got there, and third world countries can't exactly pay factories over in America to make so much of that tinned food, then pay the transporters to transport all that food over there.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #93369 on: January 06, 2016, 06:28:21 pm »

Basically, we need a benevolent dictator.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #93370 on: January 06, 2016, 06:36:12 pm »

Or just a fairly sensible one.

Oh, a question about maths teachers.

I've noticed recently that my maths teachers (secondary school/college/whatver, 12-18yr olds) seem to roughly divide into two camps each generation.

The younger ones - forty-ish to twenties - seem to divide into the nerds/gamers (said positively, I identify with them) and the slightly autistic seeming, very high functioning, more copped-on bunch. The former seem to find children and teenagers a little hard to connect with, the latter are somewhat unlikeabley casual, at least to my mind.

The older teachers, ~40+, younger in women, seem to divide into the sad-as-fuck group, who appear to have become maths teachers because it was the subject that best suited their temperament, and the cool ones who actually want to work with kids, like children and teaching maths, have interests, etc. Some overlap with the gamers here, though more communicative.

Ofc, this is just stupidly dividing people into groups for no reason, with a very small study sample, but can anyone else divvy up their maths teachers this way? I can't think of any that don't fit the pattern.
One wheel short of a wagon

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #93371 on: January 06, 2016, 06:37:59 pm »

All of this shit is collectively why I stopped trying to participate in FG&RP. I remember one game of mine that I dropped like a box of burning coals after I made the mistake of giving my players agency in creating their character and got back a coinflip decision between a furry Marty Stu with powers that were apparently whatever the person who designed (and I use that word loosely) it wanted and a munchkined to hell and back dictator of the equivalent of a city-state. Those when I'd pretty clearly set things up for a fun low-level sword-and-sorcery sort of adventure.  ::)

I don't think it's just my perception, either; a year or three ago I distinctly remember there being more quality games and almost none of the one-line spam "roleplay".
Well, I'll be putting on my snorkeling equipment because I'm going on a forum dive, gonna see if this strain of 'weirdosinii rollplayerynesst' is new or if it's been going on for a while.
*Whistles a random tune*
Okay, just looking for a few minutes, wow, the FG&RP section really wasn't that energetic for a while, 2008-2012 (I skipped to about the middle point after a couple pages in 2008, it was really boring), and I'm still seeing threads that literally have zero posts in them.
Hrmm, I dunno.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93372 on: January 06, 2016, 06:38:25 pm »

Spoiler: Tabletop continuation (click to show/hide)

College is a bit disorienting when you haven't been there in almost a year.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93373 on: January 06, 2016, 06:41:28 pm »

Nah I just notice that they mostly really like maths. All but one kind of like working with children (but most prefer teaching the higher level stuff because it's more interesting), and I only know that one is at all into vidya, but wouldn't be too surprised if one or two more were. Then again we have a very anaemic maths department given the shortage of good (or otherwise to a degree) teachers, so take that as you will.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93374 on: January 06, 2016, 06:46:52 pm »

Bernie Sanders 2016
Fun fact, apparently, planting trees and such might actually be a detrimental influence on global warming, and food problems can't just be fixed by planting more fruit trees, either, most first-world countries have a ton of excess food produced that just goes to waste, well, why not deliver that stuff? There's the problem of getting all that food over to third world countries, there's a reason why in school you have to give canned food and the like to donate, it's because otherwise all that stuff would just be rotten mush by the time they got there, and third world countries can't exactly pay factories over in America to make so much of that tinned food, then pay the transporters to transport all that food over there.

Well roughly one in five children in the united states go hungry every day; one in three in the capital. So you're right, one of the problems is definitely distribution; that being said, it's not expensive to distribute food inside the same country, so that can be fixed almost immediately. The reason I suggest growing food-producing plants everywhere is because such practices as natural farming and permaculture will lead to even less work having to be performed and will stop depletion of topsoil; if topsoil continues to be depleted at the current rate we'll run out in 60 years.

tl;dr Trees aren't the only plants in the world; grow, grow, grow. Also Masanobu Fukuoka was a pretty nice guy who was an murican hero.

EDIT:
Basically, we need a benevolent dictator.

Don't worry, despite the fluoride poisoning and constant presence of burnt fossil fuels in the air, we're actually doing better every day. Humans may be primitive monkeys but we're quickly moving towards post-scarcity.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 06:51:10 pm by inteuniso »
Pages: 1 ... 6223 6224 [6225] 6226 6227 ... 11039