Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5990 5991 [5992] 5993 5994 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14443157 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #89865 on: November 12, 2015, 07:52:34 pm »

At least Snake is justified by Metal Gear being pretty much the original title for stealth/action games.

The original Metal Gear and the non-canon Snakes Revenge were released for the NES, and the non-canon (but, IIRC, the start of the Ac!d continuity) Ghost Babel (retitled Metal Gear Solid in the US) was a Game Boy Color game. Not to mention The Twin Snakes being one of the Gamecube's flagship "We're not a kiddie console" titles, as the original MSG was one of the most commonly cited reasons why the PS1 was better for "grownups" than the N64.

Solid Snake has a long history with Nintendo. Cloud is almost as foreign to the company as Master Chief.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #89866 on: November 12, 2015, 08:15:13 pm »

Cloud is popular for other reasons. He always wins GameFAQs character battles that aren't won by Link. Draven and L-Block also won once each IIRC, the former due to /r/leagueoflegends brigading and the latter... seems like something awful?
If they base who to pick in anyway on gamefaqs, theres probably a bigger problem than even more ff7 shenanigans.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #89867 on: November 12, 2015, 08:23:51 pm »

Apparently quantum computing is a thing now? Why haven't I heard of this sooner. Last I heard of it it was all hypothetical. The future is now, apparently.

Side note, that is a shitty-ass web design. First soylent's shit site design, then this. Ugh.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #89868 on: November 12, 2015, 08:27:08 pm »

It certainly sounds fancy, yeah. But does it work?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89869 on: November 12, 2015, 08:36:26 pm »

Cloud is being included pretty much exclusively to advertise some Final Fantasy games...

I'd be more excited... except we still haven't had any original NINTENDO characters added yet.

And of the three clones only ONE had any amount of work done on it (Roy), making Mewtwo useless and Lucas unprepared for the different styles of play.

But my hope is that this means we might be getting 3 more characters and hopefully one of them will
a) Not be a clone
and
b) Be a Nintendo character

Seriously... Ryu and Cloud are ONLY there because they are advertisements.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #89870 on: November 12, 2015, 08:42:36 pm »

If it didn't run and compute, NASA and Google wouldn't have bought one to work with. Whether it's ACTUALLY quantum computing or not is another story. Apparently not even the dudes at D-Wave are sure if it's actually the first definite quantum computer or if it's just a quirky design change to typical silicon chip bit-based computers.

Sounds cool though. And new tech is always cool, because it means the tech could possibly be improved further and further, like with the initial computer being the size of a room to now with computers small enough to fit in your pocket. Science hype.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89871 on: November 12, 2015, 09:01:14 pm »

I thought people thought that country was just shit. Because it is.
Johnny Cash. Your argument is invalid. Yes, I know there are plenty of other excellent country musicians I could name, but I jumped straight to Cash to save time.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #89872 on: November 12, 2015, 09:10:54 pm »

I thought people thought that country was just shit. Because it is.
Johnny Cash. Your argument is invalid. Yes, I know there are plenty of other excellent country musicians I could name, but I jumped straight to Cash to save time.
Pulling out the big guns there, careful you don't want to step into that ring of fire. You might end up looking like a boy named sue on a brew of drunken Ira's finest singing bass. You might get hurt :D

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #89873 on: November 12, 2015, 09:24:55 pm »

If it didn't run and compute, NASA and Google wouldn't have bought one to work with. Whether it's ACTUALLY quantum computing or not is another story. Apparently not even the dudes at D-Wave are sure if it's actually the first definite quantum computer or if it's just a quirky design change to typical silicon chip bit-based computers.

Sounds cool though. And new tech is always cool, because it means the tech could possibly be improved further and further, like with the initial computer being the size of a room to now with computers small enough to fit in your pocket. Science hype.

Can it run Doom?

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #89874 on: November 12, 2015, 09:33:16 pm »

Probably not, since it uses qubits instead of bits/binary. You'd need to recreate doom completely.

Anyway, I knew that quantum computing was becoming a thing years ago, but I thought it'd still need a good 15 years to become anywhere close to practical. Hopefuly its for real, but how exactly are they doing quantum computing? I thought that sort of thing was impossible with the current silicon components and current conductor tech?
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #89875 on: November 12, 2015, 09:45:26 pm »

It says so in the wired article. They aren't using silicon, they're using a supercooled box of teeny-tiny niobium loops with a heat removing system that involves gold in some way.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #89876 on: November 12, 2015, 10:01:32 pm »

There's also no empirical proof that any quantum computing is actually happening. Even the designers state that it is DESIGNED to be quantum, and they THINK it's quantum, but they can't PROVE it.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #89877 on: November 12, 2015, 10:07:27 pm »

It should be noted that quantum computers aren't much in the way of a processing jump, the value they have is in being able to "skip" operations and arrive at a solution faster/instantly.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #89878 on: November 12, 2015, 10:17:44 pm »

Anyone who had a real working quantum computer would use it to steal a lot of money, what with cracking encryption algorithms currently used in online transactions.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #89879 on: November 12, 2015, 10:26:44 pm »

Well, assuming they could enact Shor's algorithim. Lacking any proof positive examples, just having a q-computer may not result in it having the ability to ignore encryption.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 5990 5991 [5992] 5993 5994 ... 11040