Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5992 5993 [5994] 5995 5996 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14441706 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #89895 on: November 12, 2015, 11:41:26 pm »

I'd only be content with a benevolent dictator or aggregately benevolent oligarchy.  I suppose a republic could do.
pure unadulterated democracy is anarchy
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #89896 on: November 12, 2015, 11:58:06 pm »

i'm sad that i don't get to cry more

i actually kinda enjoy it, being wracked with sobs and all that

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #89897 on: November 13, 2015, 01:11:42 am »

I'd only be content with a benevolent dictator or aggregately benevolent oligarchy.  I suppose a republic could do.
Well, the Nervan dynasty of Rome was pretty good until Aurelius had a kid.

So the trick is to make a dictatorship where the dictator names their heir but can never have children.

And I'm the perfect candidate to start this dictatorial empire ofc.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89898 on: November 13, 2015, 01:22:32 am »

So the trick is to make a dictatorship where the dictator names their heir but can never have children.

No point banning the dictator from having kids. Just make it a rule that the dictator cannot name any relatives as heir.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #89899 on: November 13, 2015, 01:36:32 am »

No point banning the dictator from having kids. Just make it a rule that the dictator cannot name any relatives as heir.
Right, because trusting absolutist rulers to keep their word when it disadvantages them works so well. No. Permanent sterilization the day they take office, ineligible if they already have children.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #89900 on: November 13, 2015, 01:40:20 am »

Hell yeah, I supported that for years... only ever abandoned it for pragmatism.
But honestly, voluntary eunuchs would make the best leaders.  Really!
Can the USA not afford 1 eunuch ever 4-8 years!?
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #89901 on: November 13, 2015, 01:54:51 am »

Pretty sure the only countries that can't afford voluntary eunuchs are Japan and China, so they're probably beyond saving.
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #89902 on: November 13, 2015, 01:56:06 am »

Yeah, if they were gonna license a Playstation character they should have either gone with Ratchet and/or Clank or went oldschool and licensed Crash Bandicoot
Or Ratchet AND Clank.
Ratchet in smash might even convince me to buy a wii u or whatever platform smash is even on.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #89903 on: November 13, 2015, 01:58:48 am »

Right, because trusting absolutist rulers to keep their word when it disadvantages them works so well. No. Permanent sterilization the day they take office, ineligible if they already have children.
No, no, no. Not enough spectacle. The dictator can have as many children as they want, but all of them will be publicly fed to hungry lions as soon as they reach age 12. Existent children of age will be allowed one month of training, and then entered into a series of gladiatorial battles with said hungry lions until one of them eats the child. If you're going to do something like this, you should do it right, and when it comes to dictatorships nothing is more right than hungry lions.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #89904 on: November 13, 2015, 02:03:49 am »

No, no, no. Not enough spectacle. The dictator can have as many children as they want, but all of them will be publicly fed to hungry lions as soon as they reach age 12. Existent children of age will be allowed one month of training, and then entered into a series of gladiatorial battles with said hungry lions until one of them eats the child. If you're going to do something like this, you should do it right, and when it comes to dictatorships nothing is more right than hungry lions.
That fails for the same reason as "children cannot be successors": certainly, the dictator-for-life might agree to that when they take office--they may even mean it--but once they've actually got eligible children? Hah, right.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #89905 on: November 13, 2015, 02:06:11 am »

Maybe we should just execute the dictator as soon as he takes office to make sure he never breaks any promises

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #89906 on: November 13, 2015, 02:14:53 am »

OW's avatar is not an orange. What.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #89907 on: November 13, 2015, 02:17:04 am »

That fails for the same reason as "children cannot be successors": certainly, the dictator-for-life might agree to that when they take office--they may even mean it--but once they've actually got eligible children? Hah, right.
Dictators that refuse to feed their children to hungry lions will be fed to hungry lions. Any dictatorial conundrum may be solved with sufficient application of lions.

Admittedly, it may be that the lion feeding bureau would ultimately be the true ruler of the nation, but I think I could be convinced that allowing an organization dedicated to feeding people to lions to rule from the shadows is a good idea.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #89908 on: November 13, 2015, 02:18:44 am »

TuxGuitar doesn't let you undo "remove track" and doesn't give a prompt asking if you really want to do that

holy shit

good thing i didn't save after and it was only a delay track besides

EDIT: anyway related to that I couldn't find a complete Snowman midi anywhere (?!) so here's a couple:

one for if you don't have "the_nes_soundfont"

one if you do

there is exactly one note wrong in each of these, and that's because the NES soundfont i have doesn't go as high in the square wave as the song does

it's also a bit slow, i think

other than that, it's sound-perfect to the song AFAIK

the delay is 5 32nd notes, that's friggin WILD
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 02:32:09 am by Putnam »

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89909 on: November 13, 2015, 02:37:18 am »

By that logic, absolute dictators could agree to the sterilization and then refuse to have it done.

Really, all this discussion proves is that dictatorships introduce more problems than they solve.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread
Pages: 1 ... 5992 5993 [5994] 5995 5996 ... 11040