Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5529 5530 [5531] 5532 5533 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14453670 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #82950 on: August 11, 2015, 04:49:12 am »

Its not wholly bad to be able to provide extra impetus to a non-essential project that just couldn't be funded through taxes as they exist
This isn't that though. This is outright, "we're broke, gib mone pls"
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #82951 on: August 11, 2015, 06:01:58 am »

Publicly-traded government, perhaps?
It's all stocky fun-and-games until someone pulls off a massive buy up and manages to get themselves declared emperor for life because they control over 50% of the votes. :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #82952 on: August 11, 2015, 07:32:00 am »

Publicly-traded government, perhaps?
Treasury bonds?
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #82953 on: August 11, 2015, 08:41:30 am »

Its not wholly bad to be able to provide extra impetus to a non-essential project that just couldn't be funded through taxes as they exist, given taxes shouldn't be raised just to accommodate anything that isnt actually important.
Is called "Donation". We keep it out of governmental stuff as much as possible because otherwise leads to rampant corruption and the vicious perversion of the democratic process. We've obviously been unable to stop wealth from having a disproportionate effect on the latter, but... that doesn't mean we should just roll over and present our sphincter to the moneybags.

Is nice thought to just say, "Well, it's going to be abused anyway, so we might as well provide a horrifically corrupt pipeline for those few that won't." But... we kinda' know what happens when we go that route. Similar methods have been tried throughout history. It tends to end incredibly poorly.

Just because the fox can get in the henhouse dunnit mean you knock down the fence and stake the chickens out in the forest, y'know?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #82954 on: August 11, 2015, 08:44:59 am »

Yeah but... we already allow massive agenda-changing donations to the *politicians*.  This isn't nearly as bad as that.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #82955 on: August 11, 2015, 08:46:53 am »

We be tryin' to fix that, ro ;_;

It's a problem, not something to be emulated and encouraged.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #82956 on: August 11, 2015, 09:53:56 am »

So, I went to a computer store with a friend to buy him a CPU, because currently he has none, not even builtin, and is thus unable to play a lot of games.
We eventually settled on a Geforce 740, and went back to his house. After some fiddling (you have to slide the side of the case off, apparently), we got it open and tried to put the card in the only PCI slot there was (the other three were PCI-E slots).

... the PCI slot was so close to the edge of the case that the card literally didn't fit. We had to bring it back.

My friend also didnt have enough money on him so I used my debit card to buy it so he could pay me back, and now I have about 200 euros in my wallet >.>

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #82957 on: August 11, 2015, 09:55:32 am »

So, I went to a computer store with a friend to buy him a CPU, because currently he has none, not even builtin, and is thus unable to play a lot of games.

Gonna assume you meant GPU.

Unless you meant games in general, as opposed to computer games, and the many games he is unable to play are computer games.

Or you meant what's implied by context, but that's boring.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #82958 on: August 11, 2015, 10:03:53 am »

Gonna assume you meant GPU.

Unless you meant games in general, as opposed to computer games, and the many games he is unable to play are computer games.

Or you meant what's implied by context, but that's boring.
Yeah, he definitely meant GPU. I'm more interested in what kind of CPU his friend has that apparently doesn't even have integrated graphics.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82959 on: August 11, 2015, 10:12:04 am »

Likely AMD or VIA.  (shudder... Via...)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #82960 on: August 11, 2015, 10:20:05 am »

We eventually settled on a Geforce 740, and went back to his house. After some fiddling (you have to slide the side of the case off, apparently), we got it open and tried to put the card in the only PCI slot there was (the other three were PCI-E slots).

... the PCI slot was so close to the edge of the case that the card literally didn't fit. We had to bring it back.

My friend also didnt have enough money on him so I used my debit card to buy it so he could pay me back, and now I have about 200 euros in my wallet >.>

Video cards go in PCI-Express slots, not PCI - that's the primary purpose of the PCI-E slot in the first place, and there hasn't been a competitive PCI card manufactured in at least 10 years.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #82961 on: August 11, 2015, 10:24:46 am »

His computer is a refurbished server, his CPU is an Intel Xeon something or the other.
And yeah, I meant GPU.

Video cards go in PCI-Express slots, not PCI - that's the primary purpose of the PCI-E slot in the first place, and there hasn't been a competitive PCI card manufactured in at least 10 years.

Right. I think I got confused and assumed that the same-sized small slots were PCI-E and the big one was PCI. My bad. Maybe the card wouldn't have fit anywhere, even if there was space.
First time opening a computer for anything other than cleaning, really :P

Eh, probably a mistake buying a GPU for it anyway. I think he'll probably buy a whole new computer with the money from his student job.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #82962 on: August 11, 2015, 11:41:54 am »

Crowdfunding a state goverment
Dafish is.
DDYKUDSAUEPECLLUUGGXVJVVDOURWOUUGH WHAT.
THIS IS STUPID.
WHY.  WHY CAN NOBODY LEARN TO BUDGET/SUDDENLY FORGETS HOW UPON OBTAINING PUBLIC OFFICE.

Well.  Most people, at least.  IIRC, the current governor is actually pursuing *gasp* reasonable courses of action over here.  Yay Maryland!

Everyone is missing the point.

It's not serious - it's a joke, or I guess a political statement. Paul sandford does not actually seriously expect to fund the government with this, he's just showing that nobody wants to pay more taxes, they just want other people to pay more taxes... and since so very little has been donated it seems to be an accurate statement.

I'm not saying it's not stupid (because it is stupid), it's just not stupid in the way everyone is taking it.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82963 on: August 11, 2015, 11:42:54 am »

WTF of the day: Battle.net flips a table if they can't find the thing they want to show you.
Seriously.  They have the tableflip.  It is there.  They also have an UNtableflip.  ...Wow.  I guess someone has a sense of humor.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82964 on: August 11, 2015, 01:00:37 pm »

I ate at a steakhouse yesterday. Complete with rodeo/cattle-themed decor and (mercifully soft) country-western music in the background.
...No, I didn't eat any steak. Certainly an awkward place to be vegetarian. :P
At least the salad was surprisingly delicious.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.
Pages: 1 ... 5529 5530 [5531] 5532 5533 ... 11040