Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5530 5531 [5532] 5533 5534 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14450643 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #82965 on: August 11, 2015, 01:06:58 pm »

Speaking of GPUs, they have gotten a little ridiculous. This GTX 960 is not a video card, it is a video brick. Fucker barely fits in my case, and getting it in there requires pushing a variety of cords out of the way in ways that put strain on the card. Even without that it protrudes into the column of space beneath the disc drives and such. I'll have to find places to tie the cords to the side or something, instead of the loose bundles they're in now, or something.

Also, with regards to the Alabama crowdfunding thing, I'm pleasantly surprised at the self-awareness required to make a political statement that way, and yet baffled by the failure at self-awareness required to understand why poor people won't donate additional money on top of their already unfair tax burden.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #82966 on: August 11, 2015, 02:27:12 pm »

I have the same problem, only my primary email is now locked against me, and Microsoft aren't doing anything to fix it.

Screw them.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #82967 on: August 11, 2015, 03:52:54 pm »

Speaking of GPUs, they have gotten a little ridiculous. This GTX 960 is not a video card, it is a video brick. Fucker barely fits in my case, and getting it in there requires pushing a variety of cords out of the way in ways that put strain on the card. Even without that it protrudes into the column of space beneath the disc drives and such. I'll have to find places to tie the cords to the side or something, instead of the loose bundles they're in now, or something.

AFAIK they just expect you to have a big case... I fit my GTX 580 in just fine, after figuring out that I can put the wires ABOVE the card instead of around it. Thing's as long as my foot.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #82968 on: August 11, 2015, 03:54:29 pm »

YOu want a big case for a serious computer anyway - cooling high end components is a bitch and a half without decent airflow.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #82969 on: August 11, 2015, 04:00:05 pm »

Yeah, it's just not something that had occurred to me. Not much I can really do about it, since the location of the power supply in relation to the motherboard means there's essentially no alternate route for the cables. It's kind of a shame just leaving the case open is, IIRC, actually worse for airflow. I'm just going to have to keep an eye on temperature and pray it doesn't become an issue because I can't afford to upgrade the case right now.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #82970 on: August 11, 2015, 04:19:43 pm »

Also, with regards to the Alabama crowdfunding thing, I'm pleasantly surprised at the self-awareness required to make a political statement that way, and yet baffled by the failure at self-awareness required to understand why poor people won't donate additional money on top of their already unfair tax burden.
Yeah, I seriously don't understand why the fucking fuck GPUs have to be the side of small houses nowadays.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #82971 on: August 11, 2015, 05:23:56 pm »

Because current technology doesn't have the capability to make them smaller while still having the same power.
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #82972 on: August 11, 2015, 05:33:12 pm »

Gonna do my first roll as a GM EVER tonight, for my ISG! Yay!
One wheel short of a wagon

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #82973 on: August 11, 2015, 05:35:37 pm »

COME ON NAT 1
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #82974 on: August 11, 2015, 05:36:45 pm »

Yeah, I seriously don't understand why the fucking fuck GPUs have to be the side of small houses nowadays.

Because they run hot as shit. They aren't just making them big for no goddamn reason, not sure why it's confusing.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82975 on: August 11, 2015, 05:39:17 pm »

COME ON NAT 1
It's not a success/fail roll, just a randomising quality... but I'm still gonna be excited as F*ck if I get a six :o

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #82976 on: August 11, 2015, 05:51:56 pm »

Because they run hot as shit. They aren't just making them big for no goddamn reason, not sure why it's confusing.
Yeah the bulk of this shit, I'm almost certain, is cooling hardware to keep the fucker from melting when I try to do something particularly stupid. I know why it's there and why it's the best possible option, I just like complaining.

On the plus side the power cable adapter I needed arrived and everything appears to be working fine. I will continue to be somewhat worried that the power supply's intake is directly beneath the card's fans, but probably it'll be no problem.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #82977 on: August 11, 2015, 06:00:16 pm »

Ran a washer that I didn't even put any clothes in. Am extra dumb today.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #82978 on: August 11, 2015, 06:01:29 pm »

Any worse than forgetting to run a dryer after you put clothes in?

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82979 on: August 11, 2015, 06:02:26 pm »

About to do first roll... anticipation builds.. checks roll table...

On the cusp...

2!
Pages: 1 ... 5530 5531 [5532] 5533 5534 ... 11040