Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5368 5369 [5370] 5371 5372 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14448912 times)

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #80535 on: July 10, 2015, 11:52:48 am »

You know I was just thinking about greek style yoghurt made by a German company, profiting billions of euros off of their dastardly yoghurt whilst Greeks wallow in poverty enabled by German bankers - getting not a penny for styling their yoghurt so well.

NEXT LEVEL CULTURAL APPROPRIATION

is not of appropriation

is of paying denbts in new way by lettings germans make yogurt!

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #80536 on: July 10, 2015, 12:36:11 pm »

I liken deriding cultural appropriation to the concept of racial purity and the creation of a Folkish state free of the cultural corruption of the money-hungry Jew...

In that its an idea that should not be cast aside lightly, but thrown with great force.

Enough historical context makes so much of today terrifying.

As far as I'm aware, though, people deriding cultural appropriation usually mean disrespectful copies of significant works and traditions. Unless they're misguided zealots, of course, which is probably mostly the case anyway.

Wikipedia says that "cultural appropriation" is understood as a situation where a minority group has its cultural values used in a colonial fashion by a dominant group. It's a terribly named term, because any reasonable person would immediately assume from the name that it just means cultural elements crossing over from one culture to the next, or traditions being adopted from different cultures.

The problem as far as I can tell isn't that elements cross over - instead it's that significant things to a culture (a Native American war bonnet in most examples) are copied superficially and without respect to their original cultural/spiritual meaning. It usually requires these things to have a particular cultural or spiritual meaning in the first place, of course, which is why I think making or eating food originally from a culture not quite your own isn't cultural appropriation at all. Making Siddhartha Gautama into a mascot for your car dealership or hawking fake Aborigine ritual objects might be, because quite a few people take those things pretty seriously. Blackface shows are also cultural appropriation because they superficially imitate a minority culture while disrespecting that very minority. You could, for instance, serve bacon dim sum at your restaurant, and that's not cultural appropriation until you start calling it funny names like "ching chong bacon" or something of that nature. And the Color Run isn't disrespectful to Indian culture because it doesn't pretend to be particularly related to Holi or an accurate representation of Indian tradition, just a different use of a similar process. Not so sure about weeaboos, though. I guess the stereotypical weeaboo does base their behavior on often insulting Japanese stereotypes, so maybe?

Point is, the objectionable part of cultural appropriation comes in when you use a position of power to mock something important, and cheapen the original in the process. Of course, there's a different standard of "important" for every person, so if you happen to identify with Chinese-style dumplings strongly enough to feel that any non-Chinese variant of them cheapens your culture (or worse, assume that every Chinese person ought to identify with Chinese-style dumplings strongly enough to feel this way, and then feel insulted on their behalf), well.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80537 on: July 10, 2015, 12:55:32 pm »

I have an unusual example of cultural appropriation - or at least of something I consider cultural appropriation:

Our faculty was having a Christmas party, and there was a bit of a cultural program - music, singing, some spoken word stuff, etc. One song that was performed was 'O come let us adore him' which, at least in the German version, is a fairly important and powerful Church song. So they performed it - but they did so without any sort of respect for the song's origin and meaning: To them it was just pretty music. This was driven home by the fact that it would have been incredibly weird to perform the German version, which has the same melody and is very close lyrics-wise, but would've put them off because of its religious content.

I was tempted to loudly sing along in German, but I opted for ranting on the internet instead.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #80538 on: July 10, 2015, 01:00:01 pm »

Some of you may know that my mother is the caretaker for the local temple elephants.

Well she is.

And she had this message forwarded to her.

Don't ask me why but the elephants took a disliking to me on my scooter.
I had to get off but they kept coming back so in case I was their target
I moved behind the booth. I had to keep moving from end one to the other because they were making noises and the trainers had a lot of difficulty control them.

Do you have Hrimati's number? I can't get on to FB. I don't want them harbouring -ve feelingxs towards me.

At first it was the big one but then the little one copied .

I'll try telepathy.
I think they were angry that I crossed their path.
They will attack again until I learn my lesson.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #80539 on: July 10, 2015, 01:05:00 pm »

I liken deriding cultural appropriation to the concept of racial purity and the creation of a Folkish state free of the cultural corruption of the money-hungry Jew...

In that its an idea that should not be cast aside lightly, but thrown with great force.

Enough historical context makes so much of today terrifying.

I wholeheartedly agree
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #80540 on: July 10, 2015, 01:05:08 pm »

I'll try telepathy.
Posted without comment.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80541 on: July 10, 2015, 01:05:35 pm »

Ugh My younger Sister is such a rabid fangirl.

She got pissed because I told my mother to not become too invested in the main characters in Gilmore Girls and to instead focus her attention on the side characters

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The only reason I care I guess is that I actually do like Gilmore Girls and hated how they handled the plot. So someone telling me my opinion isn't valid hurts.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 01:12:16 pm by Neonivek »

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #80542 on: July 10, 2015, 01:17:18 pm »

Ugh My younger Sister is such a rabid fangirl.

She got pissed because I told my mother to not become too invested in the main characters in Gilmore Girls and to instead focus her attention on the side characters

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The only reason I care I guess is that I actually do like Gilmore Girls and hated how they handled the plot. So someone telling me my opinion isn't valid hurts.
I watched a couple seasons of Gilmore Grills with my sister. Not a terrible show. I don't think I remember enough of it to weigh in on your ideas about the characters.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80543 on: July 10, 2015, 01:25:40 pm »

Ohh you have to pretty much watch about the entire thing to get what I am talking about or at least a few seasons.

Because plotlines always pop up but nothing really sticks.

Shazbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80544 on: July 10, 2015, 02:10:05 pm »

I have an unusual example of cultural appropriation - or at least of something I consider cultural appropriation:

Our faculty was having a Christmas party, and there was a bit of a cultural program - music, singing, some spoken word stuff, etc. One song that was performed was 'O come let us adore him' which, at least in the German version, is a fairly important and powerful Church song. So they performed it - but they did so without any sort of respect for the song's origin and meaning: To them it was just pretty music. This was driven home by the fact that it would have been incredibly weird to perform the German version, which has the same melody and is very close lyrics-wise, but would've put them off because of its religious content.

I was tempted to loudly sing along in German, but I opted for ranting on the internet instead.

I've sung that hymn and never understood it to not be a religious song. So... what version were they singing?

Also Wikipedia claims it was originally in Latin, so stop culturally appropriating it (see how silly this gets?).

I hum "Ein Feste Burg" to myself if a church service's music is entirely counter to my taste. But I'm half-German. Am I culturally appropriating that?

Also stop telling me I can or cannot fly a battle standard of the Army of Northern Virginia. Not that I do, but its not your flag, Yankees. Just because you won the war and are the majority doesn't mean you get to culturally appropriate it. Hey! I see why decrying cultural appropriation is so appealing! All non-Americans must now stop using air conditioning and GPS, that's OUR culture!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #80545 on: July 10, 2015, 02:13:43 pm »

Does this mean only Chileans can use the term "Andesite" to refer to intermediate igneous rocks?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #80546 on: July 10, 2015, 02:33:13 pm »

Oh dear god, can people stop trying to argue that things they don't understand don't exist?

Also Wikipedia claims it was originally in Latin, so stop culturally appropriating it (see how silly this gets?).

I hum "Ein Feste Burg" to myself if a church service's music is entirely counter to my taste. But I'm half-German. Am I culturally appropriating that?

Also stop telling me I can or cannot fly a battle standard of the Army of Northern Virginia. Not that I do, but its not your flag, Yankees. Just because you won the war and are the majority doesn't mean you get to culturally appropriate it. Hey! I see why decrying cultural appropriation is so appealing! All non-Americans must now stop using air conditioning and GPS, that's OUR culture!
1.  Germans aren't "stealing" hymns from Latin because like most European cultures their culture is an "ancestor" of the Roman empire that carried on using Latin because of their ties to the Catholic Church.  Also, no one speaks Latin as their main language so it barely matters if you steal it.

2.  If you're acknowledging where its from then you aren't culturally appropriating.  As for ancestry, its more about whether you have a legitimate tie to the culture than what flows through your veins, in the same way that having a Native American great-grandparent doesn't mean you get to parade around in the feather-hat thing saying stereotypical things in a flawed accent.

3.  The thing about the North Virginian flag is a non-sequitor.  No one in the North wants to be associated with the confederates.  Their issue with confederate flags is an entirely different thing, as you know.

4.  Technology /= culture, as you know.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #80547 on: July 10, 2015, 02:39:53 pm »

There comes a point you can't tell if peoples posts are genuine Internet outrage or mocking Internet outrage.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #80548 on: July 10, 2015, 02:45:31 pm »

3.  The thing about the North Virginian flag is a non-sequitor.  No one in the North wants to be associated with the confederates.  Their issue with confederate flags is an entirely different thing, as you know.

Tell that to the guy about two miles down the road from my house in Massachusetts who's got the Stars and Bars proudly flying in his yard...

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #80549 on: July 10, 2015, 02:45:54 pm »

Gunner-chan, where is your avatar from? I want it. :v

@EH
But that's the entire point of atheism. D;

More seriously though, what are you trying to say, about arguing about things they don't understand not existing?
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.
Pages: 1 ... 5368 5369 [5370] 5371 5372 ... 11040