Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5325 5326 [5327] 5328 5329 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14462721 times)

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #79890 on: June 27, 2015, 12:03:02 pm »

His folks've been selling the medicine, not the beliefs. Though many people find the concept of separating the two difficult, and that's where we get people doing stupid things based on correct logic used on systems of ideas about medicine that work, but only up until a certain point.
One wheel short of a wagon

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79891 on: June 27, 2015, 03:08:11 pm »

I take it you honked?
Why on earth would I do that? :|
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #79892 on: June 27, 2015, 03:16:46 pm »

It's a piece of binding motorway legislation! If you are sexy, you must honk.

What do they teach you these days?
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #79893 on: June 27, 2015, 05:42:37 pm »

My wtf: a skinny guy, looking 40-ish but undernourished and physically aged beyond his years, veins bulging scrawny arms and with dishevelled facial hair, general disconnected look, with a stutter and trailing voice came up to ask me and my family something as we left the house.

In my area, this appearance likely meant that he was a heroine addict, a mentally ill person, about to try to steal from us, or most likely of all some combination thereof.

Surprisingly, he wanted to know if we knew any good guitar players, either electric with amps, or even just gentle acoustic, nearby. Don't know what to make of that.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, saw the scientology documentary "Going Clear" tonight, the stuff about physical abuse of leaders really shocked me, especially for an organizatoin that endeavours to maintain such a squeaky clean top level, though the other semi-slavery stuff and mental toture I knew about.
One wheel short of a wagon

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79894 on: June 27, 2015, 06:59:03 pm »

Key word: "if".
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #79895 on: June 27, 2015, 07:28:30 pm »

Key word: "if".
Exactly, they didn't say "if and only if".  It's entirely possible that you must honk anyway!  (o:
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79896 on: June 27, 2015, 08:49:33 pm »

Movers were here today. They used over 300 boxes and still didn't get 100% of everything. I'm nonplussed at the sheer volume of shit that my in-laws have.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #79897 on: June 27, 2015, 08:54:10 pm »

Sounds like my sister in law. Accounts for 25% of shit, is 20% of people.

Her bed, her dresser, her makeup dresser, her vanity mirror. All very bulky, all very heavy. And then come the boxes, and some giant ass stuffed animal things she wouldn't let us use as shock absorbers for the fragile stuff.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 08:56:16 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79898 on: June 27, 2015, 09:46:56 pm »

My in laws are more like ~42% of people (it's complicated,) but 95% of the shit in the house was theirs, even after we moved in and brought all of our shit.

I'm astounded at how much room this house has in it now that most of their stuff is gone. You can walk around the dining table! It's amazing!

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79899 on: June 27, 2015, 11:28:49 pm »

Anyway, saw the scientology documentary "Going Clear" tonight, the stuff about physical abuse of leaders really shocked me, especially for an organizatoin that endeavours to maintain such a squeaky clean top level, though the other semi-slavery stuff and mental toture I knew about.
Also the biggest infiltration of the US ever, suing critics into bankruptcy (Anonymous is fairly effective against them because you can't sue a guy you don't know the name of), attempting to kidnap critics, attempting to literally drive them insane, attempting to get them thrown into a mental asylum, the refusal to believe that any disease that isn't curable by touch therapy exists...

They're shadier than a dark alley at the best of times.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/03/29/scientology-doc-going-clear_n_6939318.html

I'm going over the "16 shocking allegations" about Scientology. A lot of the worst stuff I heard back in the 1990s, for example as well as throwing people overboard they put people into bilge tanks on the ships as punishment and made you scrub the things. Plus, he got followers to donate children to a special corp, who would wait on Hubbard hand and foot (later this corp became powerful after his death).
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 11:40:29 pm by Reelya »

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #79900 on: June 28, 2015, 12:02:55 am »

Also, herbal remedies are often based on non-rigourous science done by amateurs, while homeopathy is just logically bollocks.

I'd separate bullshit modern hippie/wicca herbal treatments from traditional treatments. The traditional treatments often have something going for them, and it's where many of our modern medicines originated.

There are some medicines that were discovered in plants (aspirin and atropine for instance), but when people are still selling the plant rather than whatever is in it that's generally a good indication that there isn't actually anything medically useful in the plant, that the effect is small enough that no one can tell (and no one's bothered to do a study), and/or that the side effects are bad enough that they'd never be allowed to legally sell the pure form of the drug.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 12:05:33 am by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79901 on: June 28, 2015, 12:43:48 am »

For the vast majority of herbal preparations, it is because there is no need to test the preparation (there are already modern preparations that serve the same purpose that are highly effective), or because it would be cost prohibitive to test the preparation out of pure curiosity. (Basic science is something that industry hates, because it does not guarantee a return on investment, AND is expensive. Assigning the researchers to find a profitable product is MUCH more amenable to getting funding.)

That said, more often than not, herbal preparations are found to be effective, but not MORE effective than the commercial preparations already available. Some have novel methods of action that spur additional research and open new avenues of treatment with modern preparations, but that's a rarity.

The novelty of some herbal preparations comes into play when you have things like MRSA, which comes into being because people abuse the shit out of modern antibiotics, producing supergerms. There are some herbal substances that have been shown to be effective against MRSA, and those substances are quite easily obtained. (from the study, lemon grass oil was so effective at inhibiting MRSA, that it inhibited all activity on the test plate. Lemon grass is a common food flavoring used in southeast asian cuisine, and can be purchased at asian stores for a pittance.) For a topical MRSA infection (MRSA on the skin) topical application of one of the tested essential oils could prove very useful for treatment, without the GI complications of using IV vancomycin. (the heavy hitting commercial antibiotic used for aggressive MRSA infections.)

Note that the reason for the study is given right there in the preamble of the study-- Only 10 new antibiotics have entered the scene since the adaptation of golden staph into MRSA, and MRSA is a sufficiently serious infection that new strategies for treating it are very much needed immediately.  There were reports of activity with volatile plant oil isolates in regard to inhibition of growth, which necessitated the study.

Note-- many old (dark age) preparations for stopping infections make use of volatile oils, many of which are included in the table, and which showed efficacy. 

The important thing here is that many herbal preparations *ARE* effective. The problem is that herbal preparations are not reliably potent, not easily dosed, and rife with counterfeit products. 

There's also the unfortunate popular misconception that herbal preparations belong in the same category as hoodoo bullshit like homeopathy; that herbal preparations are basically just placebos.   That's simply not true in the majority of cases.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #79902 on: June 28, 2015, 01:46:05 am »

Even the ones that do work you shouldn't buy though. You should buy the laboratory-made version that's cheaper and has a standardized potency. Herbal medecines do have their place, but that place is in a disaster-movie-type situation where pure medicines are unavailable because you're stranded in some horrible jungle or there's a war on and the pharmacy's been blown up. If you're in a position to buy medicine, that medicine should not be herbal.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79903 on: June 28, 2015, 02:40:30 am »

Herbal medicine is good.

My WTF: just woke up at 5PM again. I don't feel too tired this time, at least.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #79904 on: June 28, 2015, 02:41:44 am »

I think you're becoming nocturnal.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Pages: 1 ... 5325 5326 [5327] 5328 5329 ... 11040