Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5127 5128 [5129] 5130 5131 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14494598 times)

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #76920 on: May 19, 2015, 11:23:31 pm »

Yeah, Illuminati and 9/11-was-planned type conspiracies tend to be bunk, but the smaller, saner ones... Sometimes they're enough to make you wonder.
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #76921 on: May 19, 2015, 11:29:00 pm »

Yeah, Illuminati and 9/11-was-planned type conspiracies tend to be bunk, but the smaller, saner ones... Sometimes they're enough to make you wonder.

I can't even think of a "small", "sane" conspiracy theory, as all the ones I can think of are along the lines of "FDR bombed Pearl Harbor! Sandy Hook was a hoax to push gun control/boost gun sales! The American Indian Never Existed!, etc) could you provide an example?

On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76922 on: May 19, 2015, 11:29:53 pm »

I meant a few certain people, not the forum's members at large.
#NotAllDorfs

FTFY.

(Not trying to re-ignite that dumb discussion, I was just catching up on the thread and thought this was amusing.)
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #76923 on: May 19, 2015, 11:35:49 pm »

ven think of a "small", "sane" conspiracy theory, as all the ones I can think of are along the lines of "FDR bombed Pearl Harbor! Sandy Hook was a hoax to push gun control/boost gun sales! The American Indian Never Existed!, etc) could you provide an example?

There's gotta be a few out there, though I'm pretty sure I'm using 'conspiracy theory' wrong...
Currently at school so I won't be able to search for some, but I may give it a go later if I remember to.
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76924 on: May 20, 2015, 12:24:47 am »

I can't even think of a "small", "sane" conspiracy theory, as all the ones I can think of are along the lines of "FDR bombed Pearl Harbor! Sandy Hook was a hoax to push gun control/boost gun sales! The American Indian Never Existed!, etc) could you provide an example?
Probably most of investigative journalism. Can't think of any examples off the top of my head.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76925 on: May 20, 2015, 12:34:19 am »

Does anyone ever feel like... People Remember "Captain Kirk" in a COMPLETELY inaccurate way to how he was in the show?

Like... for example
1) He never has sex with women
2) He usually manipulates women in order to betray them later

Like he REALLY didn't come off as a ladies man... even with the standards of the time it was made. Honestly where the HECK did people pick up on this "ladies man" persona?

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #76926 on: May 20, 2015, 12:41:57 am »

Does anyone ever feel like... People Remember "Captain Kirk" in a COMPLETELY inaccurate way to how he was in the show?

Like... for example

Like he REALLY didn't come off as a ladies man... even with the standards of the time it was made. Honestly where the HECK did people pick up on this "ladies man" persona?
tv tropes has examples from Star Trek in the live action tv section
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #76927 on: May 20, 2015, 12:45:26 am »

Like... for example

tv tropes has examples from Star Trek in the live action tv section

Averted by Star Trek: The Original Series. While Captain Kirk fell in love with a new person weekly, and there were quite a lot of interspecies kisses, the writers only made it clear he'd had sex on two occasions: once, a native wife became pregnant, and once the show returned from commercial to find a woman brushing her hair in his room while he put his boots back on. There are numerous examples of interspecies reproduction (Spock being the most famous example) throughout the franchise, however, so apparently quite a few individuals boldly came.

Not really. Only Kirk example on the page.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #76928 on: May 20, 2015, 12:46:59 am »

And a most of the handful of conspiracy theory-esque things that really did happen weren't even on the radar of most of the conspiracy theorists of the time. MKULTRA for example.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #76929 on: May 20, 2015, 12:47:56 am »

it's pretty hilarious when the trope namer is the one that has averted the trope

it's like "beam me up scotty" thing that has never actually happened
._.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #76930 on: May 20, 2015, 12:57:15 am »

Like... for example

1)He had a kid.

And it wasn't some freaky trek-thing. It came out the normal way. There was actually a second one by a different mother that apparently didn't make it -- died when the mother did.

2)That's part of the media notion of a ladies man, yes. Bond more or less worked the same way.

Also here. A list. A fairly long one. Even in-universe Kirk had a reputation, heh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #76931 on: May 20, 2015, 12:58:13 am »

I seem to remember Spock actually saying "Fascinating, captain..." quite a lot, though.
Sort of the same as Tuvok's "Interesting..."

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #76933 on: May 20, 2015, 01:05:38 am »

"That fascinates me!" AKA "That makes me feel like I'm being slapped in the face with a magic dong!"

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76934 on: May 20, 2015, 01:35:28 am »

"That fascinates me!" AKA "That makes me feel like I'm being slapped in the face with a magic dong!"

I'm never going to think of the word fascinating the same way again.  We should popularize this.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.
Pages: 1 ... 5127 5128 [5129] 5130 5131 ... 11037