Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5126 5127 [5128] 5129 5130 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14494666 times)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #76905 on: May 19, 2015, 09:16:07 pm »

That actually didn't seem half bad.  I kinda liked it, it was amusing in it's kids show kinda way. 

EDIT: Looking at comments of the youtube video i watched Pooh's voice is apparently scary?  I don't get it.  It wasn't to me.   Seemed kinda cute.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 09:21:40 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76906 on: May 19, 2015, 09:21:52 pm »

It's not as amusing if you're not a native Russian speaker. But still quite amusing.
In Russia/Ukraine/Belarus, the whole thing is very memetic and also rather well-loved for its deliberately odd and childish animation style and its quirky and very Russian humor and its utterly hilarious voice acting and if you say so much as a single bad word about it ill rek u m8
sware on me mum
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 09:24:12 pm by Avis-Mergulus »
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76907 on: May 19, 2015, 09:27:27 pm »

Yea the animation style is definitely different from the english pooh.  I actually kinda think I like that animation style a little bit better over the english one, and I grew up with it.  At least for poo and piglet.  It possibly depends on what Eeyore Rabbit Tigger and Roo look like I guess.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #76908 on: May 19, 2015, 09:46:46 pm »

Point, up until this point I've been taking conspiracy theorist to mean the "aliens and shit" kind (of which there are, arguably, a lot more of than those who have actually been shown to be correct).
They're not in the majority, they're just the most interesting. There's a thriving piracy community and illegal information sharing community that should all attest to that. But the latter communities tend to not want publicity while the former do. Even still, there's wikileaks and such.
There's also thriving communities of people who believe in things like alien astronauts, etc.. My astrobiology professor has been teaching the same class for a couple of decades now and one of the things he always does is ask everyone who knows someone that believes they have met an alien to raise their hands. 15 or so years back he said he regularly had over half of the class with their hands raised; even in my class of about 70 we had about a dozen hands raised.

I'd say the difference is that whenever it turns out that somebody is right about a conspiracy theory it generally makes a fairly big bit of news, but in general the people who claim things about aliens don't get any network time anymore (because we've finally managed to get to the point where we look at things like that and actually see the crazy assumptions they are making, and because we've had enough horrible suicide-causing crazies like that that we try to keep them quiet instead of giving them publicity anymore).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76909 on: May 19, 2015, 09:47:23 pm »

Yea the animation style is definitely different from the english pooh.  I actually kinda think I like that animation style a little bit better over the english one, and I grew up with it.  At least for poo and piglet.  It possibly depends on what Eeyore Rabbit Tigger and Roo look like I guess.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #76910 on: May 19, 2015, 10:08:02 pm »

Their version of Rabbit looks like Simon from the pre-CGI versions of Alvin and the Chipmunks
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76911 on: May 19, 2015, 10:21:59 pm »

I'd say the difference is that whenever it turns out that somebody is right about a conspiracy theory it generally makes a fairly big bit of news, but in general the people who claim things about aliens don't get any network time anymore (because we've finally managed to get to the point where we look at things like that and actually see the crazy assumptions they are making, and because we've had enough horrible suicide-causing crazies like that that we try to keep them quiet instead of giving them publicity anymore).

There's also the XKCD hypothesis, now that a large portion of the population is walking around with pocket-sized videocameras, "pics or it didn't happen" is the order of the day.  And we've been exposed to so much big-budget CGI that anything fake is immediately recognized.

I always thought it was peculiar that UFO sightings only happened in the rural parts of industrialized countries.

Except for those blinking lights that appeared over Mexico City one time.  That was pretty creepy.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76912 on: May 19, 2015, 10:40:51 pm »

Ok owl.  That right there, owl.  Nightmare fuel, full stop.  His mouth is above his eyes wtf.  And I never really saw Rabbit as the bookworm type, knowledgeable sure, but I always just got that as because he's older.

I like Eeyore though.  Eeyore I approve of.  Really captures the soul crushing despair.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #76913 on: May 19, 2015, 10:49:01 pm »

There's also the XKCD hypothesis, now that a large portion of the population is walking around with pocket-sized videocameras, "pics or it didn't happen" is the order of the day.  And we've been exposed to so much big-budget CGI that anything fake is immediately recognized.

I always thought it was peculiar that UFO sightings only happened in the rural parts of industrialized countries.

Except for those blinking lights that appeared over Mexico City one time.  That was pretty creepy.

That could just as easily be attributed to the aliens being aware of our current technology and being more careful to avoid detection, if one wanted to counter-argue. Similarly to how one hick farmer saying he saw 'aylee-inz' would be unlikely to garner attention in the past compared to an entire city claiming likewise, that's why they were spotted in rural areas, the likelihood of there being 'conclusive' evidence motivates the level of secrecy.

I'd like to mention that there are insane things from credible sources. It's like gold panning, most of what you get is crap but every so often there's something valuable hidden away.
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #76914 on: May 19, 2015, 10:49:48 pm »

My mother used to be completely obsessed with UFO shows, and she'd have me sit down to watch them with her. Some people were clearly insane, but there are a few who at least appear to keep their heads on straight and try to describe what they saw or whatever. Even if it didn't turn out to be aliens. And then there's the ancient astronauts guys. Had a show on history channel for a while. I just liked to watch that one to snicker at them for being so goddamn dense.

Also; "belief in conspiracy theories" is apparently being marked down as a mental disorder in the next edition of the DSM. Father brought that up recently.

Ok owl.  That right there, owl.  Nightmare fuel, full stop.  His mouth is above his eyes wtf.

Shook's father was the lead arts director. The shookface never gets old.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #76915 on: May 19, 2015, 10:50:28 pm »

Ok owl.  That right there, owl.  Nightmare fuel, full stop.  His mouth is above his eyes wtf.  And I never really saw Rabbit as the bookworm type, knowledgeable sure, but I always just got that as because he's older.

I like Eeyore though.  Eeyore I approve of.  Really captures the soul crushing despair.
owl looks much better in motion
._.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #76916 on: May 19, 2015, 10:55:42 pm »

Quote from: purple
Also; "belief in conspiracy theories" is apparently being marked down as a mental disorder in the next edition of the DSM. Father brought that up recently.

Okay, now that is bullshit. "Belief" in a conspiracy theory is no different to "Belief" in God or a similar figure/entity.

Unless it means "belief in any and every conspiracy theory presented to the person, absolutely regardless of evidence." Then I could understand, but something like that being marked as a mental disorder could honestly make a fairly good conspiracy theory in and of itself.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 10:57:19 pm by UXLZ »
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #76917 on: May 19, 2015, 10:58:13 pm »

Yeah, I'm gonna try to find info on that if i can.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #76918 on: May 19, 2015, 11:12:16 pm »

My mother used to be completely obsessed with UFO shows, and she'd have me sit down to watch them with her. Some people were clearly insane, but there are a few who at least appear to keep their heads on straight and try to describe what they saw or whatever. Even if it didn't turn out to be aliens. And then there's the ancient astronauts guys. Had a show on history channel for a while. I just liked to watch that one to snicker at them for being so goddamn dense.

Ok owl.  That right there, owl.  Nightmare fuel, full stop.  His mouth is above his eyes wtf.

Shook's father was the lead arts director. The shookface never gets old.
I love Ancient Aliens because since they have to seem credible, they have to say "If it was aliens..." or "It might have been aliens..." Instead of actually saying it was aliens.
"I'm not saying it was aliens... But it was aliens."
Also that show is where we got Double Down guy from, back in the day.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #76919 on: May 19, 2015, 11:16:46 pm »

IIRC someone once did some math on the 9/11 aftermath. Many, many people worked on rescuing people, clearing the ruins and such, and most likely would have uncovered evidence of a conspiracy, were there any. Now, if the government bribed those people to keep quiet with say, $100 000 each, it would have caused a huge hole in the budget, noticeable to anyone keeping track of it. Similarly, making all the people disappear even after they've been seen on TV doing their work would be suspicious, the inflated bodycount doubly so.

Aliens: thousands of people watch the sky the whole time, and would notice any anomaly. 'Stealth systems' would be a plausible explanation, but stealth in space is so ridiculously inefficient (and it makes you effectively blind), it wouldn't make sense for the aliens to use it just to steal cattle or whatever it is they would want.

Illuminati etc.: Practically unheard of before Dan Brown wrote on them, and we know how his stories are '99% true'. In this modern world, it would be next to impossible to keep a huge project such as this secret, knowing how many people it would need to keep quiet, and some wouldn't anyway in order to become famous instead of rich.

Conspiracy theories just don't have a sense of scale.

One more thought about 'punk types: what would one call a 'punk genre based on the period from the mid-60s (after atompunk) through the mid-80s (before cyberpunk)? Transistorpunk? For a less technologically-based name, rockpunk?
Bit late on this, but...rocketpunk.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.
Pages: 1 ... 5126 5127 [5128] 5129 5130 ... 11037