Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5125 5126 [5127] 5128 5129 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14494618 times)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #76890 on: May 19, 2015, 06:37:47 pm »

The difference tends to be what they are building on. A SJW is (usually) blowing something up that is a problem, they are just taking it beyond the extreme. A conspiracy theorist, on the other hand, is taking something that doesn't exist (probably) and blowing it up into a problem.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76891 on: May 19, 2015, 06:38:56 pm »

What are you talking about, concave Earth is totally real! The Nazis thought so and when have they ever been wrong?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #76892 on: May 19, 2015, 06:40:36 pm »

The Earth is slightly concave. In places. So that's arguably an exaggeration, there.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76893 on: May 19, 2015, 06:40:41 pm »

Wouldn't it be more accurate to say that a conspiracy theorist is looking for links that may or may not exist between things that do exist, and raving about the connections?  (In which case, a SJW looks much more like a conspiracy nutjob.)
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #76894 on: May 19, 2015, 06:45:14 pm »

No, what conspiracy theorist does is not "looking for links". It's having some mad revelation, and then searching for data that even slightly supports it, and outright ignoring anything that doesn't.
._.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76895 on: May 19, 2015, 06:51:49 pm »

Yeah, to restate, the conspiracy theorist sees connections where they don't exist; the SJW takes connections that do exist (however tenuously) and then blows them out of proportion.

Both are crazy, but different brands of it.
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #76896 on: May 19, 2015, 06:53:06 pm »

Conspiracy theorists are just people who theorize that there is a conspiracy. How tinfoil said conspiracy is is really just a question of how much Alex Jones said theorist listens to.
It is worth noting just how many conspiracy theories have been tangibly proven as true, from the murder of reporters to mass surveillance to inhumane experiments. It is worth drawing a distinctions between conspiracy theorists much in the same way you'd draw a distinction between a muslim and a jihadist; one is much more firmly grounded in reality than the other. A comparison between SJWs and conspiracy theorists is perhaps inevitable, though not the investigative kind, the paranoid kind or the "jetfuel can't melt steel beams" kind. Perhaps the kind which blames nebulous groups for their own life's failings share some striking parallels with SJWs, which things like r/menkampf show perfectly. There's one hilarious reddit where they compare SJWs from tumblr to neo-nazis from Stormfront, blanking out any mention of just which race or group they are complaining about. If one is not familiar with which words the two sites favour, they are indisguishable, both openly calling for genocides and both blaming a superior elite group that simultaneously controls everything and yet is inferior to the in group. So you see SJWs saying that white men are inferior in every way to POC and women, yet oppress them as they control the world, just as you see neo-nazis saying that jews are inferior in every way to aryans, yet oppress them as they control the world.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76897 on: May 19, 2015, 06:55:30 pm »

Point, up until this point I've been taking conspiracy theorist to mean the "aliens and shit" kind (of which there are, arguably, a lot more of than those who have actually been shown to be correct).

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #76898 on: May 19, 2015, 06:56:00 pm »

Not all SJWs are conspiracy theorists. Fundamentally, they mean different things.

However, some SJWs are conspiracy theorists, ranging from blaming every negative thing in their lives to cishet white patriarchy to claiming whitey fabricated the Bering Land Bridge Hypothesis to justify the genocide of Native Americans (even though this would imply Native Americans are a different species from the rest of humanity... hoo boy, it's 19th century scientific racism all over again)
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #76899 on: May 19, 2015, 07:09:36 pm »

Not all SJWs are conspiracy theorists. Fundamentally, they mean different things.
However, some SJWs are conspiracy theorists, ranging from blaming every negative thing in their lives to cishet white patriarchy to claiming whitey fabricated the Bering Land Bridge Hypothesis to justify the genocide of Native Americans (even though this would imply Native Americans are a different species from the rest of humanity... hoo boy, it's 19th century scientific racism all over again)
One of the more disturbing things I have seen from SJWs, that made me stop laughing, involved one woman who was convinced that postmen were agents of the patriarchy sent to eliminate her for being a threat. It got worrying when she started confronting the agents. I'm pretty certain that behaviour is more aptly labeled as clinically paranoid than a conspiracy theorist/

Point, up until this point I've been taking conspiracy theorist to mean the "aliens and shit" kind (of which there are, arguably, a lot more of than those who have actually been shown to be correct).
They're not in the majority, they're just the most interesting. There's a thriving piracy community and illegal information sharing community that should all attest to that. But the latter communities tend to not want publicity while the former do. Even still, there's wikileaks and such.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #76900 on: May 19, 2015, 07:21:07 pm »

...or the "jetfuel can't melt steel beams" kind.

I never understood why that was supposed to be a relevant point in the first place. The towers didn't melt, they were brought down by a rather basic and mundane application of Fudd's First Law of Opposition ("If you push something hard enough it will fall over").
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 07:29:33 pm by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #76901 on: May 19, 2015, 07:36:32 pm »

...or the "jetfuel can't melt steel beams" kind.

I never understood why that was supposed to be a relevant point in the first place. The towers didn't melt, they were brought down by a rather basic and mundane application of Fudd's First Law of Opposition.

In the case of 9/11, the loss of structural integrity came about from the steel beams being softened by the fire to a sufficient extent that the upper floors could no longer support their own weight, causing that floor to slam into the floor below it, which lost integrity and both floors slammed down on the next one, repeating through the entire structure. The Twin Towers were (deliberately) designed to "pancake" in in this manner in an effort to reduce collateral damage. To the uninformed (those without significant knowledge of structural engineering, material science, and/or demolitions), this superficially resembles the sort of collapse that a controlled demolition produces.

A small number of people seized on this (in the first few days after the attacks, when very little information on what happened was available) to insist that this WAS a controlled demolition, usually in concert with photos (either very selectively selected or doctored) that showed the damage to the Pentagon but not the aircraft wreckage, claiming that no such wreckage exists. These people quickly gained a huge following, because people always look for a comfortable explanation after a tragedy, and it just seemed so implausible that such an attack could occur and be missed. When the official reports on the method of collapse appeared, the "jet fuel can't melt steel beams" line was used to attack the explanation.

In general, a conspiracy theory is much like a house built upon a platform of toothpicks - any individual support is flimsy and very easy to break, but there's so many such supports that loss of one, or several, doesn't weaken the house at all, and they can be replaced faster than you can tear them out.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76902 on: May 19, 2015, 08:01:41 pm »

So I checked the Disney Film Line-up

and WHOA are we in for both a really awesome and painful few years.

I'll give you a hint: Sequels, terrible original movies, and LIVE ACTION REMAKES OF EVERYTHING!

Look Disney... Live action Mulan? Heck yeah!..

Live Action Winnie the Pooh? HOW DARE YOU!!! Like seriously how DAAARE you! You monsters!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #76903 on: May 19, 2015, 08:03:26 pm »

Live action winnie the pooh sounds goddamn terrifying.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #76904 on: May 19, 2015, 08:08:20 pm »

Have you ever seen the Soviet Russian version of Winnie the Pooh?

("Vinni Pukh". Look it up)
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις
Pages: 1 ... 5125 5126 [5127] 5128 5129 ... 11037