Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4438 4439 [4440] 4441 4442 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14481393 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #66585 on: January 03, 2015, 11:38:30 am »

... you do realize stuff of that nature's has been produced since, at least, the NES era, right? There's kinda' always been this incredibly small niche of christian (or <insert other religion>, I guess) themed games. They're pretty much unilaterally terrible, but they're there.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66586 on: January 03, 2015, 11:55:49 am »

I just saw someone sort of defend a movie and it was Star Trek, the new one.

And in many ways I can see where she is coming from. As a movie on its own it is fine and the characters are not meant to be THE characters we know and love but offshoots. Heck I like the movie and I also think it is a good movie. Yet I couldn't grasp what I was getting mad about, as if there was something she was saying that was just inherently wrong.

She spoke about how the movie wasn't made for fans of the original series and that even the creator backlashed against the fandom by saying so.

Then she mentioned Cumberbach in the sequel and I could finally put it together.

---

What I found so wrong was... Star Trek WAS for the original fanbase. It was for everyone who watched the original and loved it.

AT LEAST as far as giving the movie hype.

And that is a trend we see in videogames as well. IPs just taking on the names and guises of the original barely doing them serves with hopes that the community appeal already contained in the fanbase it already has spills over to the casual market.

That is what I find wrong. Star Trek might not have been for "fans of the original" but it needed them, it needed them to be sort of the pawns, its puppets to spread its popularity. It uses their superficial element to draw in the dedicated fanbase to splash it over the people who don't care.

Syndicate, Thief, Xcom Beauro... All games that tried to cash in on its good name.

That is sort of the problem I have in concept...

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66587 on: January 03, 2015, 12:08:44 pm »

... you do realize stuff of that nature's has been produced since, at least, the NES era, right? There's kinda' always been this incredibly small niche of christian (or <insert other religion>, I guess) themed games. They're pretty much unilaterally terrible, but they're there.
True, but "Prayer Warriors" is particularly shitty. At least the NES Christian games were comparable to normal NES games (mainly because they were total ripoffs of them). This is... I don't know. Dose repeating textures doe.

EDIT: Pretty sure "use helicopter to rescue kids from wizard with skeleton army" isn't in the Bible.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 12:12:51 pm by SealyStar »
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #66588 on: January 03, 2015, 01:01:18 pm »

First, there was darkness. Then AAA spoke, "Let there be n00bs for me to pwn".
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #66589 on: January 03, 2015, 01:11:44 pm »

Pretty sure "use helicopter to rescue kids from wizard with skeleton army" isn't in the Bible.
It really should be though.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #66590 on: January 03, 2015, 01:21:31 pm »

Skeleton army: check (Ezekiel saw them dry bones/ Ezekiel saw...). Wizards: check (And the Pharoah's magicians...). Attack helicopters: possibly, depending on how you interpret some of the minor prophets or possibly Revelation, the exact one escapes me right now.

All at the same time? Sorry, nope.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #66591 on: January 03, 2015, 01:28:17 pm »

Unless rather than being cosmic horrors invented by bronze-age goatherds, the angels of the Abrahamic faiths were in fact ancient aliens. Though they were probably less attack helicopters and more attack VTOLs. Moses got his hands on a fusion-powered forcefield generator. &c. &c.

I thought that was the normal procedure for fixing diesel engines. O_o

I've been doing it wrong all these years, and I never knew...
Nah, percussive maintenance is the way to go.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #66592 on: January 03, 2015, 01:38:41 pm »

At least the NES Christian games were comparable to normal NES games (mainly because they were total ripoffs of them).

No, they were not. All of the Wisdom Tree/Color Dreams games were total shit. The entire reason that Color Dreams turned itself into Wisdom Tree and reskinned their games into vaguely-christian ones is that their unlicensed knockoffs (unlike Tengen, who often produced unliscenced games superior to the official NES ones) were so appallingly bad that nobody would buy them, so even retailers willing to risk Nintendo's wrath wouldn't stock them. Since Christian bookstores didn't stock NES games in the first place (and thus had no reason to fear Nintendo), and they could count on parents and grandparents buying Christian games as parents without knowing anything about the quality, they decided to cash in there.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #66593 on: January 03, 2015, 02:33:18 pm »

Snowing big ass flakes outside.  Doesnt look too windy or blizzard-y, but Im not holding my breathe on an easy commute.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #66594 on: January 03, 2015, 02:35:20 pm »

Snowing big ass-flakes outside.
FTFY
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #66595 on: January 03, 2015, 02:42:10 pm »

First, there was darkness. Then AAA spoke, "Let there be n00bs for me to pwn".
Get with the times, this should be"First, there was darkness. Then, the quickscoper spoke,"Let there be skrubs for me to rek" ":V

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #66596 on: January 03, 2015, 02:46:13 pm »

Git rekt skrublord.
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66597 on: January 03, 2015, 02:55:51 pm »

this is a game that exists
Ha, that's hilarious.
Also I noticed another of their videos where they speedrun No One Can Stop Mr. Domino!
Wow, that's a heck of a nostalgia trip... I remember playing a demo of that on PS1. :D
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #66598 on: January 03, 2015, 02:56:34 pm »

Snowing big ass-flakes outside.
FTFY
This is my WTF for the day. I was like "How is that fixed? Double adjectives get a comma or are hyphened together."
After further thought I'm thinking it is a joke involving inappropriately placed dandruff.
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #66599 on: January 03, 2015, 02:58:22 pm »

For me, a "scourge" is either a bladed whip or a synonyme for "plague." Do I want to know what the WTF is?
Scourge is also Sonic the Hedgehog's evil twin, more or less. So much of the immediate imagery is appropriately related.
I know of Scourge the Hedgehog because he only showed up in the comics and my sister is an avid reader.
Pages: 1 ... 4438 4439 [4440] 4441 4442 ... 11037