Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3844 3845 [3846] 3847 3848 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14446877 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #57675 on: September 03, 2014, 08:20:53 pm »

It's not like we're ever going to use AI for anything else.
I will consider it to be a massive racial ethical success if at no point in the future do we use AI for sexbots. All the other issues aside, that'd make us a galactic laughingstock.
You and I both know that success is already doomed to failure. It'll probably be illegal, and the vast majority of sexbots will be expert systems instead of actual AI, but we both know our species is going to make at least a handful of full AI pleasurebottos. Probably not anything widespread, but it'll happen.

So what you're saying is that we should take the mini-apex predators that don't kill us only because they're too small, and turn them into cyborgs with monomolecular claws and real laser eyes?
Of course. Then we can give the chickens jetpacks and integrated flamethrowers (in their mouth, of course. Firebreathing chickens.) and watch the world burn.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #57676 on: September 03, 2014, 08:47:11 pm »

Good thing I'm morally obliged not to donate blood, because my blood is freak poison or something.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57677 on: September 03, 2014, 09:22:03 pm »

Windows 8 is a disgusting and vile abomination.

Spoiler: Two page old reply (click to show/hide)

I've never donated blood.

Had my blood taken though and I got a two second glimpse at the syringe.

I felt sick.

I do not like blood in real life. Video games? Sure! Bloody as can be and I'll be fine... But real life? It makes me sick. There a term for that? :P

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #57678 on: September 03, 2014, 09:24:03 pm »

Windows is a disgusting and vile abomination.
FTFY, ya windows scrubs.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57679 on: September 03, 2014, 09:49:45 pm »

On a semi-related note, my college is quite specific of what they want our school laptops to have, both in hard-ware and software.

Right down to what anti-virus we use and which manufacturer made the computer.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #57680 on: September 03, 2014, 09:53:14 pm »

Someone's getting paaaaiiiiidddd. Wonder if it's kickbacks or just preferential pricing, hum.
Ask not!
Ask!

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
  • There's been a distinct lack of Praisin' recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57681 on: September 03, 2014, 09:53:40 pm »

That's such a huge security threat that I don't even know where to begin being angry about it.  Is the model and make, along with the software requirements, out on a public website?

Actually no, I'm curious as to why they're pushing that you need these things specifically.  There has to be some sort of motive to it, even if it's just so that it's easily serviceable.

Someone's getting paaaaiiiiidddd. Wonder if it's kickbacks or just preferential pricing, hum.
Or that.

BadLemonsXI

• Bay Watcher
  • Lemons'o Doom.
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt page.
« Reply #57682 on: September 03, 2014, 09:54:46 pm »

On a semi-related note, my college is quite specific of what they want our school laptops to have, both in hard-ware and software.

Right down to what anti-virus we use and which manufacturer made the computer.
They put web block on them? Can you still access bay12?
I make comic things with my avatar for some reason.
No avatar is safe from my editing
\/\/It might be alive? Its been a year >_> 02-Nov-2017\/\/
¤Co-Gm'ing The Fear Master B-Movie ISG¤

Check out my Pixel art!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #57683 on: September 03, 2014, 09:57:27 pm »

Though yeah, out of curiosity, which AV are they pushing?
Ask not!
Ask!

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #57684 on: September 03, 2014, 09:58:39 pm »

chrome is actually 5000 different processes, you can check the ram for every one of them.
and they're all called chrome.exe
Chrome also has a in-house processes viewer, that lists the different services instead of just saying "Oh it's chrome."

Like ad-block, GPU processor, the various tabs, other add-ons, etc.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57685 on: September 03, 2014, 10:00:44 pm »

The only hardware directly mentioned by a brand name is the manufacturer of the computer itself and the manufacturer of the CPU.

Don't know why the manufacturer of the computer itself is specified, but apparently the CPU has to be from a certain manufacturer so that it will be compatible with software we will be using.

We have two choices of anti-virus. Either AVG or Avira. Though I doubt the school really cares that much about what you get, so long as you can actually work on it.

They put web block on them? Can you still access bay12?

I'd be buying my own laptop; I wouldn't be getting it from the college. No idea if they have any blockers on their network, but they probably do keep an eye on where students go on their wi-fi.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 10:12:45 pm by BlackFlyme »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #57686 on: September 03, 2014, 10:12:18 pm »

Don't know why the manufacturer of the computer itself is specified, but apparently the CPU has to be from a certain manufacturer so that it will be compatible with software we will be using.
That... honestly sounds like a load of horseshit. Could see needing certain specs, but from a specific manufacturer? Not sure I buy that line. Not as up to date on hardware as I've been in the past, but... still. Especially considering there's, y'know, trial versions of software and whatnot. If they're concerned about compatibility, just make something like that available so the students can check. No need to put out a massive corruption warning flag like that...

Least the AV isn't too terrible. If it'd been something like Norton I would have laughed and laughed and laughed.
Ask not!
Ask!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #57687 on: September 03, 2014, 10:14:36 pm »

I've worked in school IT. I'm pretty sure it's just to streamline troubleshooting; if everyone has the same hardware, hopefully everyone will have the same errors, I guess.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57688 on: September 04, 2014, 01:47:40 am »

My workstation has been running 100% rendering a product animation for almost four days... but it just occured to me that it's running at an extreme overclock. I was interrupted while doing some testing a while ago and forgot to boot it back.

I've been running this i7 at almost 4.9gHz and it hasn't melted, core temps actually hovering pretty well.

I don't know what's going on but I'm not touching the damn thing. I'll take every calculation I can get. It might go poof, but hell, I've been thinking about retiring it anyway. Work would pay for a new workstation to keep up with modern rendering and design software.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #57689 on: September 04, 2014, 02:37:21 am »

I've worked in school IT. I'm pretty sure it's just to streamline troubleshooting; if everyone has the same hardware, hopefully everyone will have the same errors, I guess.
That... actually makes sense. Dammit Putnam, you ruined my chance to whine about obstructive bureaucracies.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.
Pages: 1 ... 3844 3845 [3846] 3847 3848 ... 11040