Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3720 3721 [3722] 3723 3724 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14490636 times)

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #55815 on: August 07, 2014, 07:34:19 pm »

I took one step out of the GuP section of FF.net and I found this:https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10601219/1/Sword-Art-Online-Re-Bootexample of why some people shouldn't be allowed to access the internet.

I know basically nothing about SAO. So is this guy making a fanfiction or does he just spend the entire time complaining and saying what the game should be?
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #55817 on: August 07, 2014, 08:07:18 pm »

Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55818 on: August 07, 2014, 08:12:59 pm »

Annnnnd now it just got deleted. I was hoping to see how badly he was going to get trolled in the comments section.
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #55819 on: August 07, 2014, 08:37:22 pm »

The picture is also 666 pixels wide. The monkey is the Antichrist.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55820 on: August 08, 2014, 12:30:33 am »

Ok why the stupid do people think "The Lion King" is Hamlet?

Ohh... right because superficial elements.

Nevermind that none of the main plotlines match up... Ghost + Father killed + Son gets revenge + Happy go lucky people = Hamlet

Well then Starwars was clearly hamlet... I mean... it did feature a ghost, dead father, son gets revenge, and Han Solo... it must be hamlet
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 12:33:15 am by Neonivek »

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #55821 on: August 08, 2014, 12:35:43 am »

The films makers mention it in one of the dvd commentaries/making ofs if I remember correctly
It's FEF, not FEOF

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #55822 on: August 08, 2014, 12:36:52 am »

Er. It was the brother of the father kills the father and takes over the kingdom, and the son runs away/hides for years, and the ghost of his father comes and tells him to take revenge.

Dude. That's Hamlet.

I think the only difference besides Lions is that Simba doesn't die :V
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Lyeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Guess who isn't back
    • View Profile
« Reply #55823 on: August 08, 2014, 12:40:50 am »

Er. It was the brother of the father kills the father and takes over the kingdom, and the son runs away/hides for years, and the ghost of his father comes and tells him to take revenge.

Dude. That's Hamlet.

I think the only difference besides Lions is that Simba doesn't die :V
Nala doesn't either, but that's beside the point.  :P
Take a closer look at this text!

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55824 on: August 08, 2014, 12:42:04 am »

Are we talking about the stage show or the Disney movie? I haven't seen the former, so I can't comment :c
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55825 on: August 08, 2014, 12:48:41 am »

That doesn't happen...

The "Runs away and hides" doesn't happen in Hamlet

And the "Father tells him to take revenge" doesn't happen in The Lion King.

Nala doesn't either,

Nala has no hamlet equivalent unless you are going by "well she is a love interest therefore Olivia".

The most Lion King does is borrow ideas... but no it isn't Hamlet.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 12:50:58 am by Neonivek »

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #55826 on: August 08, 2014, 12:54:08 am »

Of course it happens in Hamlet, he has a whole bunch of adventures on the sea, IIRC. Piracy and all. It was a pretty big theme in Hamlet that Mr. Titular there was scared and hiding from his responsibility to stabity-stab the Usurper. "To be, or not to be" ring a bell? Speech was about that whole theme there.

And maybe not revenge per se, it's a kids movie after all, but I think it was pretty clear that he was kind of rooting for his son to get back and take the throne. "You must take your place in the Circle of Life." I.E. as King. Which requires getting Scar off the throne. I.E. "revenge."
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 12:55:48 am by Descan »
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.

ShoesandHats

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoes cancels Drink: Intensified by Penguin Man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55827 on: August 08, 2014, 12:59:11 am »

To say the two are absolutely unrelated plot-wise is kind of weird, because it's very clear that The Lion King basically lifted most of the plot from Shakespeare. Obviously the plots don't exactly line up because the writers presumably didn't want to prop up a proverbial corpse and convince people it's alive by strapping a lion mask to its rotting face. Of course, Shakespeare himself wasn't being completely original either. Shit like that went down all the time historically, and I'd imagine there'd be quite a few stories about that kind of thing floating around in those times simply because it's something that happened. Keep in mind that this is all coming from someone who's never seen The Lion King and only has knowledge of Hamlet through pop culture and Rosencranst And Gildenstern Are Dead.

All that said, it's not particularly fair to call everyone who holds the opinion that The Lion King isn't entirely original stupid.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55828 on: August 08, 2014, 01:02:53 am »

I am not saying they are completely unrelated.

I am saying that the Lion King isn't Hamlet's plot retold... And it makes no sense whenever someone says that because that is just latching onto superficial details without understanding the actual plot of hamlet or the lionking.

Nor the characters...
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 01:04:31 am by Neonivek »

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #55829 on: August 08, 2014, 01:07:27 am »

Perhaps not, but saying "Thinking they're the same thing makes you dumb," or saying "It's a ghost!" instead of "It's the fathers ghost," or saying "The father died," instead of "The father was killed and usurped by the brother," is kind of... missing the point? Mislabeling at the very least.

Like, those are fairly specific plot points, you can't just say "There's a ghost in the movie and that's it." Very clearly it's important that it's the ghost of the father, and that the father was killed and throne usurped by the brother. And important that the son is hiding from his responsibilities. It's a pretty extreme boiling, but that's basically boiling down the plot of the two movies. And there are other similarities, like Rafiki as Polonius as advisor to the king. Only Simba doesn't accimurder Rafiki. Because Kids Movie.

Star Wars ghost is Obi-Wan and Yoda until the very end, the father doesn't come in to it really except as a stinger. Anakin/Vader didn't even have a brother, either.

Edit: AS for why I might seem worked up about this, I get annoyed by false intellectualism like this, like "Oh you believe (y)? Only morons believe *that*. It's so obviously (x)." Especially when (x) can be argued against and (y) can be argued for and it's not *clear cut* as it's made out to be.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 01:11:56 am by Descan »
Pages: 1 ... 3720 3721 [3722] 3723 3724 ... 11037