Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3721 3722 [3723] 3724 3725 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14489228 times)

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #55830 on: August 08, 2014, 01:10:45 am »

Neo I think you might just be latching on to hyperbole and taking it too seriously. It's basically something said as trivia or to help high schoolers to help get them more interested in Hamlet. When people say that it's a retelling they don't mean that it 's literally a plot point for plot point copy. They're just pointing out there are clear connections in the plotlines.
It's FEF, not FEOF

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55831 on: August 08, 2014, 02:09:29 am »

Looking at archage's reviews out of curiosity.

What I've seen is 'It's not like other MMOs! There's PvP! Less dungeons! Boats! You have to look after your mount! 120 classes!'

Which I see as 'It's like any other MMO but with a few gimmicky features and a slight gameplay change.'

Looking at the videos, the graphics are pretty bad to boot, even for an MMO.

Do people just have some weird sub-standard mindset for MMOs or something? Because I've seen people praising them and praising them when there's no discernible difference between that one and the one before it.
The most interesting parts of ArcheAge would be the crafting, building and outfitting your own ships, buildings, castles, farms, cities and the like. Everything related to physical structures and the economy sounds like it's player-constructed and interactive, like back in Ultima Online.

If the reviews are focusing on the PvP and number of classes, they're doing it wrong and the problem is that the reviewers out there are not the real people that this game is aimed at, hence why they're focusing on the unimportant stuff, which you can get in WoW or any other MMO out there already. This sounds like it would appeal more to players of Wurm Online or other social / city-builiding MMOs than it would to combat-oriented players.

You can found new cities anywhere you like, how many MMOs let you do that?

I haven't looked into the game at all, but the strategy, city building and RPG elements seem to be the key parts, not the combat and eye-candy. It *could* be really badly implemented, i don't know, but what the reviews are focusing on isn't really what the game is all about. I guess that's what happens when WoW players reviews something, they review it as a version of WoW, if you know what I mean.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 02:15:32 am by Reelya »

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #55832 on: August 08, 2014, 02:14:08 am »

I wanna play that, with a Bay12 clan/guild/faction/whatever and takeover a server. Heeeee.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55833 on: August 08, 2014, 02:23:46 am »

There's some seriously fun ideas in this game:-

ArcheAge contains a Judicial system with player run courts. Players can choose to answer jury summons and judge players who have committed crimes of theft or murder. There are minimum and maximum sentences that are determined by vote among the jurors. The system is a fundamental game mechanic, and not built to combat intentional "griefing" by players. Criminal players are imprisoned and can pay off their debt by working in the prison or trying to escape through digging their way out. Players are able to escape from the prison, however they are unable to use any abilities for the duration of their sentence. The development team has stated they may introduce a bribery system that would enable the accused player to bribe jurors.

And i can only think the reviews must suck if they're just screaming "PvP" and "120 classes" as the selling points.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55834 on: August 08, 2014, 02:26:48 am »

Good luck taking over a server, the world seems to be ginormous :P
At first glance, combat in ArcheAge looks like it's just old-school hotbar action. But there's a certain depth to it. Moves will inflict status effects that other moves can combo off of, adding additional effects or doing increased damage. Then you can combo off of that, and so on. Combos aren't limited by skillset either.

WTF: My browser apparently recognizes "ginormous" as a word :P
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #55835 on: August 08, 2014, 02:38:22 am »

No, seriously. If I can run it, I say we group together, and go wreck shit. Build glorious Dwarven cities. And then have really harsh trials.

Minor Thief: I stole a muffin!
Court: LIFE IN THE MINES!

Murderer of a tyrannical office-manager: I saved people from oppression!
Court: DEATH SENTENCE! PUBLIC HANGING!
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #55836 on: August 08, 2014, 02:57:49 am »

There's some seriously fun ideas in this game:-

ArcheAge contains a Judicial system with player run courts. Players can choose to answer jury summons and judge players who have committed crimes of theft or murder. There are minimum and maximum sentences that are determined by vote among the jurors. The system is a fundamental game mechanic, and not built to combat intentional "griefing" by players. Criminal players are imprisoned and can pay off their debt by working in the prison or trying to escape through digging their way out. Players are able to escape from the prison, however they are unable to use any abilities for the duration of their sentence. The development team has stated they may introduce a bribery system that would enable the accused player to bribe jurors.

And i can only think the reviews must suck if they're just screaming "PvP" and "120 classes" as the selling points.

Because of the bolded part, the system will almost certainly ONLY be used for griefing. Either the developers are horribly naive, or they are purposely catering to trolls.

Both options make me skeptical about the game.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55837 on: August 08, 2014, 03:16:25 am »

If you steal something, clues can be left at the scene, the same with murder. It can't be used for random griefing because the crime clues and investigation are actual game mechanics, not "he said, she said" stuff.So you cannot just randomly accuse people of crimes, there need to be actual game crime markers you pick up. I'm not 100% on how that works as it implies everyone who goes to trial is guilty, maybe you need to plead your case as to why you did it (revenge, starving to death etc).

And the jurors are randomly called up anyway, so no-one can just magically force a sentence on someone.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 03:19:26 am by Reelya »

tuypo1

• Bay Watcher
  • i really apreciate a good analogy
    • View Profile
« Reply #55838 on: August 08, 2014, 03:19:51 am »

If you steal something, clues can be left at the scene, the same with murder. It can't be used for random griefing because the crime clues and investigation are actual game mechanics, not "he said, she said" stuff.

So you cannot just randomly accuse people of crimes, there need to be actual game crime markers you pick up. And the jurors are randomly called up anyway, so no-one can just magically force a sentence on someone.
it seems a bit silly to me why would you want to bring the horrible idea that is the jury system into your fantasy spaces are they trying to encourage goverments to keep the system or something
important project progress

have some basic idea of whats going to go in it

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55839 on: August 08, 2014, 03:31:13 am »

What? Medieval Europe had juries, as did ancient Greek and Roman courts. No society in the middle ages worked like a typical lawless MMO. "fantasy spaces" are definitely as compatible with jury law as they are with crossbows. The English jury of 12 men evolved from Danish Viking law.

Think about it if you want your MMO to be more than "Random barbarians roaming around" there needs to be some structure and semblance of laws. If you want player-driven courts that's either a chosen magistrate or juries. I'd say the lack of any law-keeping is actually more immersion breaking for a fantasy world than anything else. What fantasy book series or medieval society worked like an MMO? None do ...

"wild wild west: the fantasy MMO" has been done (basically every MMO). And it's really unlrealistic that every MMO is basically either a completely lawless free-for-all or it's hard-coded that you can't fight in towns.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 03:39:43 am by Reelya »

tuypo1

• Bay Watcher
  • i really apreciate a good analogy
    • View Profile
« Reply #55840 on: August 08, 2014, 03:51:18 am »

What? Medieval Europe had juries, as did ancient Greek and Roman courts. No society in the middle ages worked like a typical lawless MMO. "fantasy spaces" are definitely as compatible with jury law as they are with crossbows. The English jury of 12 men evolved from Danish Viking law.

Think about it if you want your MMO to be more than "Random barbarians roaming around" there needs to be some structure and semblance of laws. If you want player-driven courts that's either a chosen magistrate or juries. I'd say the lack of any law-keeping is actually more immersion breaking for a fantasy world than anything else. What fantasy book series or medieval society worked like an MMO? None do ...

"wild wild west: the fantasy MMO" has been done (basically every MMO). And it's really unlrealistic that every MMO is basically either a completely lawless free-for-all or it's hard-coded that you can't fight in towns.
i wasent objecting to the game having a legal system just the jury besides because its always been done that way is a pretty silly reason to do something but on the subject of the game i guess its really the only way to involve the players in the legal process
important project progress

have some basic idea of whats going to go in it

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #55841 on: August 08, 2014, 04:48:27 am »

If you steal something, clues can be left at the scene, the same with murder. It can't be used for random griefing because the crime clues and investigation are actual game mechanics, not "he said, she said" stuff.So you cannot just randomly accuse people of crimes, there need to be actual game crime markers you pick up. I'm not 100% on how that works as it implies everyone who goes to trial is guilty, maybe you need to plead your case as to why you did it (revenge, starving to death etc).

And the jurors are randomly called up anyway, so no-one can just magically force a sentence on someone.

I think I may have misunderstood the quote, I read it to mean they aren't putting anything in the system to stop people from griefing with the jury system (for example accusing random people of crimes that never happened).

Re-reading I think it might actually mean the jury system is not meant to stop people intentionally griefing each other.

So... oops.

also I noticed I messed up the bolding, how embarrassing
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55842 on: August 08, 2014, 09:21:44 am »

If I had internet, I would glad join your guys' Dwarven crusade.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Molly Renata

• Bay Watcher
  • Just an obnoxious fangirl.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55843 on: August 08, 2014, 09:22:45 am »

My godmother and her significant other are going to be stopping for the night tonight. I'm really not sure how to feel about this.

Cleaning up is both aggravating and intriguing, although I wish I wouldn't get yelled at for having a messy work area...
Molly Renata, also known as gyppygirl2021.
Fangirl. Beware random references to old and obscure games.
I'm a dumb hipster who plays older Dorf Fort versions. Mostly DF2010 and 40d. I also make and play a lot of silly mods, and find my own ways to have Fun.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #55844 on: August 08, 2014, 09:31:58 am »

If I had internet, I would glad join your guys' Dwarven crusade.

As would I, if I were any good at crusades.

Still, even if I were any good, I'd probably be that one guy that everyone hates because he has a conscience.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread
Pages: 1 ... 3721 3722 [3723] 3724 3725 ... 11037