Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3486 3487 [3488] 3489 3490 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14457772 times)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #52305 on: June 23, 2014, 05:36:58 pm »

Can someone explain to me WHY German soldiers in Chaplin's Great Dictator are using Swedish Krag-Jørgensen rifles all along the movie? Not German Gewehr 98, which would be historically correct, not Springfield 1903, which could be easily acquired for filming in 1940 in America, but goddamn Krag-Jørgensen?
AND Why Lewis Gun? AND why american revolvers in service of military police?
It would seem from my minor research he got them all as surplus. Apparently the US produced a lot of Krag-Jørgensen rifles while they were in service, and they probably had a lot of them floating around.

Of course it's Charlie Chaplin though, he can use whatever gun types he wants.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #52306 on: June 23, 2014, 06:10:47 pm »

It would seem from my minor research he got them all as surplus. Apparently the US produced a lot of Krag-Jørgensen rifles while they were in service, and they probably had a lot of them floating around.

Oh. I never knew they actually produced these, though I considered such a possibility.

And of course, yes.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #52307 on: June 23, 2014, 06:16:30 pm »

I read 'The Aetiology of Hysteria' last week.

And now I have a piece of history in my head.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #52308 on: June 23, 2014, 06:51:11 pm »

Oh. I never knew they actually produced these, though I considered such a possibility.

And of course, yes.
It was the standard US service rifle until Teddy Roosevelt -who carried one in the Spanish American War and considered it to be a piece of shit- ordered it replaced with a copy of the Mauser 1898 rechambered for the caliber Americans preferred. Liquidating it from Army stocks made it incredibly cheap on the civilian market, although it never seems to have been all that popular.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #52309 on: June 23, 2014, 07:48:52 pm »

So I look over at my apartment's window and see my roommate's cat just chilling... on the other fucking side of the window screen.  I almost had a heart attack.  This is on a plant box on a second story window, which the cat would probably survive jumping off of.  But my roommate is super-protective of her cat and I really would not want to tell her it was in some unknown place outside.  Apparently it had been patiently digging through the side of the screen, where we couldn't see due to a curtain.

Thankfully it's inside now.  I tried luring it in with bit of ham, then with the entire hamburger I had just finished cooking and then finally I called a third person who lives here and they knew how to get the screen open.  My roommate does not need to know about this incident.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52310 on: June 23, 2014, 07:51:02 pm »

Akinator just quit on me twice. Not guessed wrong, not said, "Oh, I don't know who you're thinking about." It just straight up fucking quit on me at question 25 each time. What makes it weirder is that the person in question is relatively famous.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #52311 on: June 23, 2014, 08:01:03 pm »

Idle curiosity regarding the state of RPGs on the PSP has led me to find out that... damn, but japan really kept them to themselves, this time. Haven't really wrote down the numbers but it's been looking like a 5:1 or better (probably better) ratio of non-english PSP RPG games to english ones. Which is just... I don't remember it being that bad on the SNES, PSX, etc. And most of the ones that did make it into english are, like. Re-hashes. Old games ported on to a new system. I guess the PSP didn't do well with the english market or... something.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #52312 on: June 23, 2014, 08:03:31 pm »

Akinator just quit on me twice. Not guessed wrong, not said, "Oh, I don't know who you're thinking about." It just straight up fucking quit on me at question 25 each time. What makes it weirder is that the person in question is relatively famous.
He was like, "fuck this shit i'm out" and jumped through a window

obviously the mind of a bay12er is too complex and fucked up for a simple program

Cleverbot, watch out.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #52313 on: June 23, 2014, 08:17:17 pm »

The ratio's actually better than most of the older systems, because Japan's studios have long believed that the NA RPG market is very small (not least because the people playing RPGs at the time were primarily PC gamers who cut their teeth on Ultima and Wizardry, and adopted an arrogant elitism about the "primitive" and "childish" console games), an attitude that is only recently fading. This isn't helped by the fact that cartridge-based RPGs were insanely expensive (compared to the typical game for the same console) because the cartridges tended to need a lot more memory, and character limits screwed up translations well into the SNES (and possibly early PS1 as a holdover, although that might well have been simple bad translation) era.

It seems much worse now because you actually know what you're missing out on, when back in the day you rarely heard about it unless there was an announced release that never saw daylight or you learned about it in a magazine interview. Remember that there wasn't anywhere near as much Internet information in those days, and the magazines focused almost exclusively on the actual releases and news of what was going to be released, not all the stuff that just wasn't making it over at all. Remember that Nintendo of America had a very strict "5 games only each year" for their third party studios (due to the shovelware-induced industry collapse of 1983) through most of the NES era, and implemented draconian censorship (imagine what Sweet Home or Tactics Ogre would have looked like if they had been released) until the last days of the SNES.

Also remember what a large portion of the older library has been fan translated to the point where it is easy to forget that there were no official releases. Games such as Seiken Densetsu 3 or Final Fantasy III have been well known in the English-speaking world, even though the latter didn't make it over here until the DS era, and the former still hasn't. A lot of the PSP's rereleases are of this sort, games that either had a butchered port, or none.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52314 on: June 23, 2014, 10:28:55 pm »

The ratio's actually better than most of the older systems, because Japan's studios have long believed that the NA RPG market is very small (not least because the people playing RPGs at the time were primarily PC gamers who cut their teeth on Ultima and Wizardry, and adopted an arrogant elitism about the "primitive" and "childish" console games), an attitude that is only recently fading

I don't know... When I compare the Old Western RPGs and the JRPGs of the time there is a wide dictonomy towards them.

"Childish" and "Primitive" are rather apt words to describe them, albeit with undue negative connotations. FF4 (or 3... whatever the one Bartz is in) is all about the power of friendship and is more about the bonds between the characters then the direct action on the screen with a few memorable enemies here and there.

While the Ultima series is ultimately a thesis on morality.

Where gameplay in JRPGs were almost always mildly brainless. There is no real forward thinking required. While puzzles usually extremely simplistic. If enemies were difficult it was only because you didn't use their weakness yet.

and PC RPGs often REQUIRED you to plan long in advance (either fairly or unfairly) and puzzles often were real puzzlers.

The reason these attitudes are fading though, TO ME, has nothing to do with people getting less snobby... but rather the fact that PC RPGs are becoming more like JRPGs. They are becoming less about prep, intrigue, problem solving, or what have you. Everything is going towards the casual "Everyone can play" market. A game under the mindset that "not everyone can beat this game" is mostly unthinkable with some extreme outliers who are being SOLD on the basis of "not being incredibly easy"

---

But the major difference in my view is that... well... the "childish and primitive" aspects of the JRPG is what also by the same logic makes them appealing to me.

I love character focused stories (Heck in spite of everything... I actually really like the story of FF5... or what it 4? 3? Whatever Final Fantasy Butz edition. Even if I found the gameplay to be seriously lacking). I love the power of friendship, characters doing the impossible because they are filled with zeal, and the ultimately lighter tone.

As well DEAR GOODNESS did a lot of PC RPGs, especially classics, really try hard to get on your nerves. Often to the point where character creation is nearly impossible.

I'll put it to you this way. If you played an old school JRPG chances are graphics is all you need to forgive (with exceptions). If you play an old style PC RPG you have to forgive the interface, the sense of direction, the gameplay, and often the difficulty curve.
-Don't get me wrong I like Old School RPGs... It didn't take me long in Lands of Lore for me to realize how brainless and easy most games are today... and praise how intuitive the game often was (Water under you? Well you do have ice magic!) as well as its incredibly difficult but fun gameplay. While dreading the copy protection, hate the stupidly obtuse puzzles, dislike the inventory management (OHH GAWD the inventory), dislike the item display (good luck knowing what items do), and its often punishing difficulty.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 10:32:06 pm by Neonivek »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #52315 on: June 23, 2014, 10:51:25 pm »

Yeah, the 'fake-difficulty' aspects of older games are what always get to me. I had more trouble with X-com and Baldur's Gate (&c.) grappling with the interface than I did with the actual gameplay. I'd really love to see modern RPGs with acceptable graphics, 3D or 2D, and an interface that doesn't handle like deliberately obtuse ass, mixed with the sort of intuitive, creative, problem-solving style of play (rather than "insert ability A into situation B, rinse and repeat", something like "here's a problem, have at it", and you have a dozen+ different ways to deal with it just from what you have in your inventory, spell list, and the local environment) that you saw in older games (and indeed, in tabletop RPGs). So essentially Skyrim with a good UI, better and more interaction between player, powers, and environment, and difficulty that is both set to a higher bar and hinged on things other than the amount of health enemies have.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #52316 on: June 23, 2014, 10:53:06 pm »

Hexyz... game, why. Why? You don't name a character Bigabu Beaze and then specifically draw attention to it. I mean, considering the character design thus far I guess it's not really out of place, but. But. This is the giant wolf man that gives out the game's equivalent of achievements.

Though now I'm wondering what the original pun was in japanese, hrm...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52317 on: June 23, 2014, 11:02:07 pm »

Maybe the result had some giant-ass high resolution image attached to it, which didn't load properly for some reason? *shrug*
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #52318 on: June 23, 2014, 11:58:07 pm »

While the Ultima series is ultimately a thesis on morality.

ONE GAME in the Ultima series qualifies as that. I, II, and III have such simplistic plots that they make Final Fantasy I look like Shakespeare, while the Eight Virtues became a secondary background element in V, and never were even minimally-important after that. Still, the plots in V, VI, and VII were pretty decent. Were they particularly complex by the standards of their day? Let's compare.

Ultima V: Warriors of Destiny (1988)

The virtues have been corrupted to serve the whims of a tyrant. You must rescue the rightful king and destroy the minions of the usurper.

Let's grab two other PC games from that year for a baseline.

The Bard's Tale III: Thief of Fate

An evil wizard defeated in the previous game has summoned another wizard. Kill him.

Might & Magic II: Gates to Another World

You are wandering adventurers. Eventually, you realize that your world is a spaceship, and an evil person is trying to fly it into the sun. Kill him.

Now, we'll compare three console games from 1988

Final Fantasy II:
Using a superweapon and evil magic, the EMPEROR has nearly conquered the world. Linking up with the last remnants of the rebellion, you must kill him.

Ys I:

Locate the books of a ancient civilization in the hopes of stopping a rising evil. This will take until Ys II or III.

Dragon Quest III:

An evil witch is threatening the land. You must wander the earth collecting the artifacts you need to get to her to kill her.

From this, we can conclude that Ultima V is, plotwise a step above the average RPG of the era (with the caveat that I'm only looking at games that eventually got an english release, as I can't understand the summaries of the non-English ones easily.) In terms of combat mechanics, all the games except for U5 and YS use essentially the same "line-up-and-hit-em" mechanic, with roughly the same tactical options (although the console games tend to be more transparent about things, with spells listed in text instead of having to be looked up in the manual, and much more coherent character screens.) In all cases, not being able to defeat an encounter generally means you don't have enough levels or good enough equipment, although bad tactics can play a part as well. Ultima V's combat, despite being the most tactical on the face of it, is actually quite bad, with mostly-pointless spells, positioning being barely important, and enemies barely worth the trouble. Ys is the worst here, being mostly "bump into the other guy".

In terms of character development, YS is the worst, with U5 in second, with very few levels, no real customization options, mostly worthless spells, and one bit of easily obtained equipment rendering everything else pointless. BT3, MM2, and DWIII are roughly the same here, with simple level advancement allowing you to hit harder, cast more and better spells, and take more damage, while a steady stream of equipment upgrades improve your ability. FF2 is the odd duck here with everything increasing with usage, theoretically allowing extremely precise customization, though the very buggy system means this rarely works.

In terms of world (not exploration), YS is at the bottom, Ultima V is at the top. FF2 is in second place with DWII, and the rest are tied for third. Ys is simply too sparse, MMII and BT2 mostly have empty corridors with nothing but merchants and quest givers (and monsters), the second place holders have plenty of filler NPCs to populate things and dispense bits of info, with plenty of areas that seem dynamic, while U5 takes that illusion of life and motion and makes it a reality, aided greatly by the conversation system.

Finally, we turn to exploration. Ys has pretty much none. Ultima V is tops here, with exploring actually feeling like you're going through a world. MMII and BTIII have a great deal of exploration, but that's more a matter of methodically mapping every FUCK YOU, A TURNTABLE single square HA HA! INSTANT DEATH TRAP to make sure LOL! YOU HAVE NO MAGIC you've missed ROFL! TELEPORTED YOU TO AN IDENTICAL ROOM! nothing, constantly enduring sadistic crap just so you can get one clue or treasure that you need to proceed.  FF2 and DWIII are straightforward on the world map, and the worst you have to deal with in dungeons are dead ends, out-of-power monsters, and the occasional damage floor that you have to go through.

Frankly, the only difference I see between console and PC RPGs is that the latter produced a few more gems, while the former generally lacks the not-so-subtle sadism that distinguishes the latter. You generally do have to take more notes in PC games, but that's as much a consequence of presentation as anything else. Your goal tends to be more straightforward, and is broken up into manageable steps, so the only way you're going to forget what's going on is to leave the game for a couple of weeks.

I would also like to clarify that the "childish" accusation tends to be more "Console games are made for children and thus are nothing more than "press the button to win" games with absolutley no depth. THey don't have any other option, because they don't have enough buttons."
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 12:13:03 am by Lord Shonus »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52319 on: June 24, 2014, 12:06:22 am »

I HATE when people put their entire speech inside a quotation. It means I said that.

I didn't say any of that Lord Shonus!

Anyway Shonus your mistake is you are trading the "basic synopsis" for the entire game. ALL the Ultima games 3 and on are about that.

Only 3 and 5 deal with it... directly. While the others it is more of a background detail that is the super plot of the entire series. (that gets majorly flummoxed in 9)

Better yet Wizardry 2? It is about enlightenment. (or was it 3?... whatever one of them)

Final Fantasy tended to work with Big plot, about smaller plot. It boils down to raw elements.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 12:12:14 am by Neonivek »
Pages: 1 ... 3486 3487 [3488] 3489 3490 ... 11040