Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3487 3488 [3489] 3490 3491 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14455549 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #52320 on: June 24, 2014, 12:09:30 am »

It's called a typo, Neo. It happens. Some folks either type out the bbcode or accidentally delete part of it while they're formatting and whatnot.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52321 on: June 24, 2014, 12:09:50 am »

I don't like console games because my thumbs don't react quickly enough.

**Arcvasti walks away, having contribuated his 2 cents to the wishing fountain.**

I HATE when people put their entire speech inside a quotation. It means I said that.

I didn't say any of that Lord Shonus!

I think he just got the two quote tags mixed up. It seems like it should be:

While the Ultima series is ultimately a thesis on morality.
-Detailed oration and such-

If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52322 on: June 24, 2014, 12:11:16 am »

it wasn't a typo. People do that on purpose. My issue is more that it just looks terrible.

Frankly, the only difference I see between console and PC RPGs is that the latter produced a few more gems, while the former generally lacks the not-so-subtle sadism that distinguishes the latter.

It is mostly in how they tell their stories. Basically you have to remember that Western RPGs are inspired more by Tolkien and Dungeons and Dragons. Thus they tend to be more about epic storylines and larger then life stories.

While JRPGs are SLIGHTLY inspired by anime but have their own style that comes to fruition.

Thus Western (classic at least) tended to present you with a problem from the outside. While JRPGs tended to present you with a problem then PLOT TWIST that wasn't the problem the whole time!

I am actually trying to think of a JRPG where the villain presented to you at the start... is the real villain.

While if a Western RPG is trying to give "The real villain" it is usually more of the shadow that presides over everything (Fallout 1 for example) who makes your previous problems seem small.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 12:21:08 am by Neonivek »

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #52323 on: June 24, 2014, 12:15:01 am »

I... I think Neo might be trying to make a joke?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 12:17:32 am by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52324 on: June 24, 2014, 12:16:26 am »

jokes on the internet? that's rich

everyone knows we're super serious all the time and we speak in absolutes and we do not joke EVER that is a thing lesser people do

according to some parts of this forum i'm not even a person and i'm fine with this

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #52325 on: June 24, 2014, 12:21:37 am »

It was, in fact, an error. I was copy-pasting, and broke the quote tag. In any case, I've beaten all seven Ultima games, so I'm not "confusing the synopsis". Ultima III is nothing more than "The evil wizard from I and the evil Witch from II had a demon-computer baby! You have to stop it! The Virtues are the core of IV, while the only real importance they have in V is Blakthorne's warping of them (unless I've forgotten a step, which is possible), which isn't really a morality tale as much as it is a fairly generic "any tool can be misused by a tyrant" deal. VI is often interpreted as a racism lesson, but it's more to do with the folly of acting on incomplete information and not realising that actions have consequenses. VII is about a corrupt church summoning what is essentially a demon, and Serpent Isle I must admit was entirely forgettable. It did seem like they had big plans for later, shame that they never made any more Ultima games after that, only some shit that EA slapped the name on.

Edit: Wizardry II isn't about enlightenment, it's about recovering equipment from the dungeon to kill the Big Bad, while III is about stealing a dragon's TV. IV is the one that casts you as the original Big Bad breaking out of prison, while V has the goal of releasing a demigod. Not sure about VI, VII, or 8, but I don't think they're about enlightenment either.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 12:28:38 am by Lord Shonus »
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52326 on: June 24, 2014, 12:23:19 am »

And what are the core issues of FF1? Time paradox! Actually there really is none.

The Final Fantasy games don't try their hand at more indepth story telling until Bartz and usually just presents big villains who try to pull off some big gambit and either succeed or fail.

Some seem really interesting. Cloud of Darkness for example is a very interesting villain in concept and could be expanded, especially given how the plot goes, upon. Yet the game doesn't attempt this because it is an intentional retread of the first game where you step up to become the Warriors of Light, but against a villain who is beyond such.

Where Bartz presents the exact same villain as the Cloud of Darkness (honestly they are carbon copies)... but where the focus of the game is on the personal relationship between the characters as well as to the previous group of adventurers. With a sense of generation.
-Honestly the similarities between that game and Onion Knights is staggering... Except I think Bartz' game is better in everyway, except a bit TOO obvious.

I will say that what most people don't understand about a lot of Final Fantasy villains is that a lot of them are meant to be incarnate versions of concepts. Cloud of Darkness being the first in my mind.

Here are a few I feel are that:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

---

I would also like to clarify that the "childish" accusation tends to be more "Console games are made for children and thus are nothing more than "press the button to win" games with absolutley no depth. THey don't have any other option, because they don't have enough buttons."

That is because they use Final Fantasy as the template... and Final Fantasy is supposed to be the more casual RPG. It is why Final Fantasy Tactics is so much easier and 2-dimensional then Tactics Ogre, and why Final Fantasy Tactics Advance is even more simplistic then that.

If they stepped outside of that... AND outside Dragon Quest (which is for a younger generation) And out YS... and you know a lot of JRPGs.

They might see differently.

That and a LOT of JRPGs are marketed towards children (to the extent where they redo the art in the booklet to change things)... and most of the Computer RPGs you are referring to are marketed towards adult
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 12:37:43 am by Neonivek »

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52327 on: June 24, 2014, 12:27:49 am »

i have a very minor understanding of quantum physics (in that i know i won't understand them in the end, but have given it a fair try) but i can't figure out what the fuck is a syllable supposed to be

the fuck is this shit

Scotsmen

• Bay Watcher
  • FREEDOOOOOMM!!!! And cake.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52328 on: June 24, 2014, 12:28:04 am »

Well, I started Planetside 2, then changed my mind and used task manager to close it (because it were faster). Then I went and did something else, came back and started Planetside 2 again, but this time rather than the "Play" button being there, the button said "Playing". Completely unclickable, nothing. It was as if I still had PS2 open, but I didn't. Turned out restarting the PC fixed it, but still, WTF?
As he waits to be unrestrained and taken backstage, he can't help but think I miss my fun bits.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #52329 on: June 24, 2014, 12:29:19 am »

i have a very minor understanding of quantum physics (in that i know i won't understand them in the end, but have given it a fair try) but i can't figure out what the fuck is a syllable supposed to be

the fuck is this shit

One pronunciation unit of a word or whatever. Such as: Lord-Slow-poke. Lum-py-space-prin-cess. Ham-mer. And so on.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52330 on: June 24, 2014, 12:29:40 am »

from where do you derive this unit

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #52331 on: June 24, 2014, 12:30:34 am »

The traditional method is to say the word whilst clapping. You will, due to subconscious (?) stuff, clap once per syllable.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Scotsmen

• Bay Watcher
  • FREEDOOOOOMM!!!! And cake.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52332 on: June 24, 2014, 12:32:13 am »

So, (clap) Ex (clap) act (clap) ly (clap) like (clap) this. (clap)
As he waits to be unrestrained and taken backstage, he can't help but think I miss my fun bits.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52333 on: June 24, 2014, 12:39:28 am »

Ba-na-na has three syllables.

Ballistic has three as well. Ba-llis-tic. From looking at it I think you can get a general idea for the number of syllables by how many vowels there are in a word and their surrounding consonants. E on the end of a word doesn't count such as in "Space" where the E more determines the pronunciation of the preceding C rather then being pronounced separately (You don't say Spac-e, hard c followed by ee like in eek).

In-ter-con-ti-nen-tal ba-llis-tic mis-sile.

Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #52334 on: June 24, 2014, 12:41:00 am »

All my music files on my phone disappeared. They don't show up in my files either. :|

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward
Pages: 1 ... 3487 3488 [3489] 3490 3491 ... 11040