Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3488 3489 [3490] 3491 3492 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14453289 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #52335 on: June 24, 2014, 12:41:11 am »

Ballistic has three as well. Ba-llis-tic.

Ahhh accent.

Since the two lls suggest "Bal, Lis, tic"

But NO ONE says it like that... and only jerks point that out.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #52336 on: June 24, 2014, 12:42:42 am »

i have a very minor understanding of quantum physics (in that i know i won't understand them in the end, but have given it a fair try) but i can't figure out what the fuck is a syllable supposed to be

the fuck is this shit
What does quantum physics have to do with syllables? O_o

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52337 on: June 24, 2014, 12:43:10 am »

i have a very minor understanding of quantum physics (in that i know i won't understand them in the end, but have given it a fair try) but i can't figure out what the fuck is a syllable supposed to be

the fuck is this shit

According to quantum physics... it has everything to do with it.

Hurray grand unifying theory.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #52338 on: June 24, 2014, 12:46:32 am »

And what are the core issues of FF1? Time paradox! Actually there really is none.

The Final Fantasy games don't try their hand at more indepth story telling until Bartz and usually just presents big villains who try to pull off some big gambit and either succeed or fail.

Some seem really interesting. Cloud of Darkness for example is a very interesting villain in concept and could be expanded, especially given how the plot goes, upon. Yet the game doesn't attempt this because it is an intentional retread of the first game where you step up to become the Warriors of Light, but against a villain who is beyond such.

Where Bartz presents the exact same villain as the Cloud of Darkness (honestly they are carbon copies)... but where the focus of the game is on the personal relationship between the characters as well as to the previous group of adventurers. With a sense of generation.
-Honestly the similarities between that game and Onion Knights is staggering... Except I think Bartz' game is better in everyway, except a bit TOO obvious.

I will say that what most people don't understand about a lot of Final Fantasy villains is that a lot of them are meant to be incarnate versions of concepts. Cloud of Darkness being the first in my mind.

Here are a few I feel are that:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

First, just to make things clearer, Bartz/Butz is FFV, which is an intentionally goofy and light hearted game. The other games, for a quick summary:

I- Defeat the elemental fiends and kill Chaos, breaking a stable time loop.
II - Fantasy Star Wars
III - The Amazing Onion Kids
IV- The Dark Knight is redeemed and becomes a paladin.
VI- Kefka
VII- Cloud and Sephiroth
VIII- Squall
IX- Zidane
X- Tidus
XII - Fantasy Cold War

The rule of concept works great for I, III, V, possibly VI, and IX. I don't think you're right about X. I would argue that simply having the possibility of such a conversation deflates the entire "childish" aspect, however.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #52339 on: June 24, 2014, 12:52:04 am »

the fuck is this shit

According to quantum physics... it has everything to do with it.

Hurray grand unifying theory.
You still haven't answered the question though.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52340 on: June 24, 2014, 12:52:47 am »

Don't try to get a straight answer out of Neonivek. It won't happen.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52341 on: June 24, 2014, 12:53:11 am »

Ballistic has three as well. Ba-llis-tic.

Ahhh accent.

Since the two lls suggest "Bal, Lis, tic"

But NO ONE says it like that... and only jerks point that out.

Well, I kept the extra L in there so people wouldn't get confused as to why I left it out. "Ballistic" might have a slightly longer stay on the double L to warrant it but that's getting into pronunciation which I really can't tell the difference.

It's this whole, do you pronounce "Whether" and "Weather" differently. "Whether the weather be fine, or whether the weather be not. Whether the weather be cold, or whether the weather be hot. We'll weather the weather, whatever the weather, whether we like it or not."
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #52342 on: June 24, 2014, 12:53:23 am »

LSP is making a point of the fact that they are not stupid.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52343 on: June 24, 2014, 12:54:52 am »

Just stumped Akinator 5 times in a row with characters from the Romancing Saga series.  Sure most of the characters were from Romancing Saga 3, which as far as I know never got an official English translation, but he didn't even Get Minstrel from Minstrel's song, who is probably the most well known character from the entire series.  Since he had a playstation remake named after him.

His head is probably too full with the 20 different flavor of link he was giving me when I was trying to get him to guess Poet that he doesn't have any taste for the classics.  WTF have people been teaching him?
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52344 on: June 24, 2014, 12:58:13 am »

Once you step into FF7 and on, you are jumping outside the PC RPG era.

IV- The Dark Knight is redeemed and becomes a paladin

This would work if there were any real implications in the storyline. It honestly feels more like you are shedding the notions of your home nations in order to become a hero strong and pure enough to truly change things for the better... but I had to REALLY REALLY read into things for that.

Dissidia however mostly says IV is about the power of friendship for some reason... Dissidia I also feel handles Cecil's character better overall because he neither rejects nor worships light or darkness... and finds his own way. Which is something the remakes did.

The rule of concept works great

Not all of them use concepts as villains. I only think about 4 maybe 5 use them.

FF8 suffers from being too smart for its own good, but its villains are not conceptual.

Kefka is a villain I feel REALLY REALLY benefits from the 2d format. He would be impossible to take seriously in 3d (as Dissidia shows well)

Don't try to get a straight answer out of Neonivek. It won't happen.

I am not the person to answer. I don't know what the person meant... what am I psychic?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 01:02:18 am by Neonivek »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #52345 on: June 24, 2014, 01:09:31 am »

I was trying more for identification than summarization there, since you seemed slightly unsure about the chronology. Best to make sure were referencing the same games, after all.

I wouldn't claim that the Playstation era games were after the PC RPG era. A few of the classic series were still going just fine at that point, and there was a great wave of them just beginning. Baldur's Gate and Might and Magic VI were both released a full year after FFVII, and Fallout was released the same year VII was. It could be argued that these represent a seperate generation from the earlier games, but anything else is going too far.

It's nice to find someone else that understands the main plot failing of VIII, as most people look at the surface and think that the masks the characters wear are their true selves. THis is a large part of the game's bad reputation, I think.

Kefka works, as a character, in an opera. Which is essentially what VI is. From what I know of DIssidia (my PSP broke the same day I bought that, and I haven't bothered replacing it), it doesn't really retain the spirits of the original games.

As for IV being about the Power of Friendship, I can see it, if I look reeeaaallly hard, but I still think that Cecil's conflict with Cecil is the meat of the story.

More importantly, I suggest moving this to a new thread if you want to continue this discussion.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #52346 on: June 24, 2014, 01:14:13 am »

I am not the person to answer. I don't know what the person meant... what am I psychic?
That... N- Neo. Sky was talking to you. Responding to the statement you made. Noting it wasn't an answer to her question. I... you, uh. I don't think a person has to be psychic to know what they, personally, meant. I hope not, anyway.

Unless... are you actually two people sharing an account? Did I miss something and the other poster was actually Noenivek or along those lines? Do we have a Neo impostor stalking the forums?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #52347 on: June 24, 2014, 01:16:22 am »

Two people sharing one account is rather improbable, Frumple. I'll put my money on two people and one body.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52348 on: June 24, 2014, 01:18:57 am »

I thought he was quoting me and then was just saying "that isn't an answer"

If he is asking what I mean... the answer is "because quantum physics is related to everything, because the grand unifying theory states that everything is linked through a single equation"

As for me being two people... Ever notice that sometimes I appear to be an agreeable and stable person?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 01:20:58 am by Neonivek »

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52349 on: June 24, 2014, 01:21:56 am »

As for me being two people... Ever notice that sometimes I appear to be an agreeable and stable person?
Not...really?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread
Pages: 1 ... 3488 3489 [3490] 3491 3492 ... 11040