Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3337 3338 [3339] 3340 3341 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14441554 times)

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #50070 on: May 24, 2014, 05:01:41 pm »

The sun is a hole that was made when Magnus left to Aetherius and is the source of magi-

Oh wait wrong universe
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50071 on: May 24, 2014, 05:05:12 pm »

Would taking a journey around the globe convince such people? Make sure they go directly west (or east) as much as possible.
Inconclusive. You could achieve the same circumnavigation on the inside of a sphere.

It was only after I had posted that I realized you weren't talking about flat earth believers.

How do they explain the movement of the sun in the sky then? If we were inside a Dyson sphere (which might be where they got the idea?) the sun wouldn't move at all.
No, the sun is a portal to heaven (hence the light) that moves slightly around the centre of the universe which is where heaven is.

It would still never set, or rise. Also, unless there was something blocking the sun, there wouldn't be any night either.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50072 on: May 24, 2014, 05:06:45 pm »

It would still never set, or rise.
The light bends towards heaven which is why it appears to set and rise. He explains his world in the videos that I linked. Quite interesting to watch actually. Relaxing too.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50073 on: May 24, 2014, 05:18:30 pm »

It would still never set, or rise.
The light bends towards heaven which is why it appears to set and rise. He explains his world in the videos that I linked. Quite interesting to watch actually. Relaxing too.

He has an answer for freaking everything doesn't he? I think we need to throw a mathematician at him. Then again, he seems like the kind of person who wouldn't change their mind even if we sent him up to space and shattered his logic.

Given the detail he went through, I think he might find worldbuilding fun.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #50074 on: May 24, 2014, 05:20:30 pm »

The thing about science is that we don't just set up arbitrary answers and then find evidence for it (okay, we have hypothesises but it is generally a good idea not to worry too much about them)

We just do not know how the universe works.

So really, this guy might be right for all we know, but since we have other, more saner explanations, Occam's Razor prevail here and he'll continue to be wrong until there is definitive evidence.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50075 on: May 24, 2014, 05:22:05 pm »

But we are capable of making observations that do not match what he says. For example, go 100 km up and there is no glass ceiling. Otherwise spacecraft would have a hard time.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #50076 on: May 24, 2014, 05:24:27 pm »

In that case, he's completely wrong and is just stupid.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50077 on: May 24, 2014, 05:27:31 pm »

Also, what's a megacryometeor? A comet?

But we are capable of making observations that do not match what he says. For example, go 100 km up and there is no glass ceiling. Otherwise spacecraft would have a hard time.

There's also the upward curving surface of the inner sphere, at earths diameter and even if there were something blocking at 100km up, we would be seeing something.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50078 on: May 24, 2014, 05:32:35 pm »

There's also the upward curving surface of the inner sphere, at earths diameter and even if there were something blocking at 100km up, we would be seeing something.
Apparently light naturally bends up, and one of his partners in conspiracy-theorism proved it by taking a picture of New York with an IR camera and it appeared to be higher up than with regular light. Or something like that.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50079 on: May 24, 2014, 05:38:12 pm »

I say we send him into space far enough to see the whole disc of the earth, that ought to shatter his logic, but then again, conspiracy theorists tend to make their own logic if it gets debunked.

Then there's Occam's razor.....

ArchAIngel

• Bay Watcher
  • Infested Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #50080 on: May 24, 2014, 05:58:57 pm »

Send him into space sounds good. Just leave out the suit. *Does not like people like that*

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50081 on: May 24, 2014, 06:04:27 pm »

Sod that. If I cvould send a guy into space, I'm not wasting it on some dumbass. I'd go me bloody self.

I really, really want to go into space. Not any of this bullshit almost-space, either. Proper space.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50082 on: May 24, 2014, 06:25:11 pm »

Sod that. If I cvould send a guy into space, I'm not wasting it on some dumbass. I'd go me bloody self.

I really, really want to go into space. Not any of this bullshit almost-space, either. Proper space.
Hear hear! Why waste time and resources sending someone who will never be convinced when folks like you and me genuinely want to go?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50083 on: May 24, 2014, 06:36:10 pm »

Today...I discovered Wizardchan.

that site is a sad joke

and no it's not a sad joke because of what it's supposed to be, it's a sad joke because of the dissonance between that and what it actually is

i've been there when it actually was decent (haha, decent chans) and honestly, it should have died with the old admin
I mostly like the story of how it got its name.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #50084 on: May 24, 2014, 06:38:52 pm »

Today...I discovered Wizardchan.
0/10 need more real wizards

Pages: 1 ... 3337 3338 [3339] 3340 3341 ... 11040