Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3292 3293 [3294] 3295 3296 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14460789 times)

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #49395 on: May 14, 2014, 07:20:36 pm »

That was satire? Drat. Well, now I look silly with this ceremony/sacrifice prepared for DF2014. I bought a lamb for nothing!
You could always eat it. Don't you know sacrificing lambs is just an excuse to throw out the less desirable bits and not call it a waste.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49396 on: May 14, 2014, 07:41:46 pm »

christwire.org

My sides.

You owe me new ones.
-snip-
Oh lord
Very very happy that the site is a satire.
The funniest part is the people in the comment sections who don't KNOW its satire. And also probably saddest, since its pretty blatant.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 07:44:31 pm by Arcvasti »
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49397 on: May 14, 2014, 07:43:38 pm »

Hitler got elected under a democracy, and his hatred of Jews wasn't exactly unknown before that. People KNEW about Hitler, they just didn't think he would go so far as genocide.

Dude published a book a decade before, it was practically old-news.
Considering how much of a shock the mass graves were even to the allies, genocide wasn't even on their minds. Germany was either going to fall to a totalitarian facist regime or a totalitarian communist regime. All other points I've already covered. Comedy can only do so much against shock troopers.
That's why people claiming 1984 is all about surveillance piss me of so much. It's really not.

WTF: Apparently a schizophrenic guy is living in my dorm (in another house) and is bothering people by looking for an imaginary girlfriend. And by 'bothering' I mean 'A (fairly distant) aquaintance of mine has reason to lock her room's door at night now.'
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #49398 on: May 14, 2014, 08:08:15 pm »

The point is, he didn't do it in a democracy. He had taken over, and the people didn't have a say. In a government without Article 46, it wouldn't have happened.
False. Hitler was democratically elected and the Nazi party enjoyed substantial support (as well as a large minority of ethnic Germans--something like 40% if memory serves--as party members) up until the point where they lost the war. There are a number of works out there (one that comes to mind is Peter Fritzsche's Life and Death in the Third Reich) which document primary sources from within Germany and the occupied territory--letters, journals, etc., all of which show a rather disturbing level of awareness and support for the activities of the state. One that springs to mind are a number of different accounts by Germans about looking forward to the auctioning off of the property of neighbors who have been 'disappeared'.

The notion of the totalitarian dictator controlling an unwilling population with no support through nothing but terror and an advanced police apparatus is patently false to anyone who has done any sort of research on the political and social climate of the time--it's a delusion invented by post-war scholars to explain away the fact that people like Hitler (and to a lesser degree Stalin--who only inherited the Bolshevik support base, which was never more than 10% of the population of Russia, though admittedly that was due mostly to the relatively low level of urbanization at the time; the majority of people were peasant farmers rather than urban workers and soldiers) did enjoy popular support. It's apologetics of the finest degree, attempting to absolve people of the responsibility assumed by supporting a poisonous political platform, and not too different from the gleefully ignorant declarations that began in 1989 with people like Francis Fukuyama declaring the end of history and the culmination of human civilization in the form of capitalist democracy. Never underestimate the capacity of scholars of history and politics for willful blindness and self-delusion, particularly when they bind themselves to a specific ideology--people like that will always frame events in a way which suits their worldview, regardless of how distorted the facts become.

There was no action taken against Germans who refused to join or spoke against the policies of the Nazi party; that would, after all, have been counterproductive to the goal of a unified German volk. Likewise, German citizens enjoyed a remarkable level of prosperity right up until the point where their cities began being bombed; IIRC they didn't even have imposed rationing during the war. There were a vast number of reasons for Germans to support Hitler, those who didn't actually buy into the genocide were at least willing to pretend for the sake of personal well-being, and those who did protest didn't suffer for it. One of the most frightening aspects of the primary documents which survived the war, actually, is the number of people whose words suggested that they were not upset because of the atrocities committed by the Nazis, but because they failed.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49399 on: May 14, 2014, 08:31:41 pm »

At least some people knew what was going to happen as early as 1938, when an author who's name escapes me published a book demanding an immediate declaration of war from the US, Britain, and France, along with a declaration of Crusade from the Pope. Having flipped through it at work, I found the copyright date difficult to believe, as there's aspects to it that he seems to have figured out before Hitler did.

Must have been a time traveller.

...Whoah. I guess that's why no-one's travelled back in time to kill him before the war- he time-travels forwards in time to kill them before they can discover time travel, and then time-travels back again. Hell, he probably faked his death and is actually back in ancient times, living it up as a Roman emperor or something, laughing at us all.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Redzephyr01

• Bay Watcher
  • Ferrum Cor
    • View Profile
« Reply #49400 on: May 14, 2014, 09:13:10 pm »

I found out that my history teacher looks almost exactly like Czar Nicholas II.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49401 on: May 14, 2014, 09:14:41 pm »

I found out that my history teacher looks almost exactly like Czar Nicholas II.

And thats why he's a history teacher. Resemblance to actual historical figures is not REQUIRED to be one, but it helps a lot.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #49402 on: May 14, 2014, 09:30:28 pm »

Today I learned that my Computer Science teacher had Jack from Roosterteeth in a couple of his classes. So, yeah. My compsci teacher knows a famous internet dude. I guess this also means Jack from Roosterteeth went to my high school. The world feels really small at the moment.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #49403 on: May 14, 2014, 10:43:41 pm »

At least some people knew what was going to happen as early as 1938, when an author who's name escapes me published a book demanding an immediate declaration of war from the US, Britain, and France, along with a declaration of Crusade from the Pope. Having flipped through it at work, I found the copyright date difficult to believe, as there's aspects to it that he seems to have figured out before Hitler did.

Must have been a time traveller.

...Whoah. I guess that's why no-one's travelled back in time to kill him before the war- he time-travels forwards in time to kill them before they can discover time travel, and then time-travels back again. Hell, he probably faked his death and is actually back in ancient times, living it up as a Roman emperor or something, laughing at us all.
I could really buy the idea of Hitler riding on a time-traveling foo-fighter and zapping anyone in the future who tries to travel back in time to kill him.

Heck, he probably didn't even die when he disappeared. Dude probably ran into his foo-fighter and went back in time or something.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #49404 on: May 15, 2014, 12:45:00 am »

Light is both a ray and a wave. Not that I didn't know this earlier, its still strange.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49405 on: May 15, 2014, 12:49:29 am »

this exists

should crosspost to happy thread but why

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49406 on: May 15, 2014, 12:55:13 am »

Light is both a ray and a wave. Not that I didn't know this earlier, its still strange.
I thiiink you mean particle, instead of ray? >_>
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #49407 on: May 15, 2014, 01:04:47 am »

I thiiink you mean particle, instead of ray? >_>
I meant that it acts as both rays and waves.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #49408 on: May 15, 2014, 01:07:11 am »

Light is weird. I mean, as we know so far photons have no mass, which consequently make them the fastest thing to exist in the universe.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49409 on: May 15, 2014, 01:10:45 am »

photons are expected to have mass because they develop non-zero mass when inside superconductors

it's just that it's so ridiculously tiny that people are putting its upper limit below the higgs boson threshold
Pages: 1 ... 3292 3293 [3294] 3295 3296 ... 11040