Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3291 3292 [3293] 3294 3295 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14461749 times)

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #49380 on: May 14, 2014, 04:17:50 pm »

Sheet do you keep an easily accessible 10 foot pogo stick?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #49381 on: May 14, 2014, 04:19:05 pm »

You mean a democracy like... Weimar Germany? :P

It wasn't a very -good- democracy, but it -was- a democracy. Multiple parties, multiple people to vote for, etc. Not like Soviet Russia or North Korea-style democracy.

So yeah, it happened in a fairly democratic country.
It didn't happen under a democracy, it happened under facism. Comedy did not stop it, world war did.  Hard power is the best response. Similarly do not confuse me saying comedy can't replace democracy with democracy being all powerful in stopping malevolence.
Charlie Chaplin tried his best,  even he ultimately failed.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #49382 on: May 14, 2014, 04:20:02 pm »

Eh, one of the reasons I make Holocaust jokes when I do is because I take it seriously. Likewise rape, again on the rare occasions when I make a relevant joke. Jokes are serious business! "Just a joke" is a stupid phrase that needs to be done away with. Humor is a powerful tool for undermining terrible things, because you can throw into pretty sharp relief why they're terrible (without coming off as preachy to people who didn't care before), you can dismiss bad faith arguments without having to give them the illusion of viability that comes with directly engaging them, and you can create shame in people who support whatever the problem is without becoming confrontational (which almost never works). Jokes have as much weight as any other kind of language (which is why, for instance, it's a real problem to make a joke that makes a pariah out of a rape victim).
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Imperial Guardsman

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANATICISM INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49383 on: May 14, 2014, 04:24:19 pm »

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49384 on: May 14, 2014, 04:38:58 pm »

You mean a democracy like... Weimar Germany? :P

It wasn't a very -good- democracy, but it -was- a democracy. Multiple parties, multiple people to vote for, etc. Not like Soviet Russia or North Korea-style democracy.

So yeah, it happened in a fairly democratic country.
It didn't happen under a democracy, it happened under facism. Comedy did not stop it, world war did.  Hard power is the best response. Similarly do not confuse me saying comedy can't replace democracy with democracy being all powerful in stopping malevolence.
Charlie Chaplin tried his best,  even he ultimately failed.
Hitler got elected under a democracy, and his hatred of Jews wasn't exactly unknown before that. People KNEW about Hitler, they just didn't think he would go so far as genocide.

Dude published a book a decade before, it was practically old-news.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #49385 on: May 14, 2014, 04:47:39 pm »

At least some people knew what was going to happen as early as 1938, when an author who's name escapes me published a book demanding an immediate declaration of war from the US, Britain, and France, along with a declaration of Crusade from the Pope. Having flipped through it at work, I found the copyright date difficult to believe, as there's aspects to it that he seems to have figured out before Hitler did.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #49386 on: May 14, 2014, 04:50:19 pm »

The point is, he didn't do it in a democracy. He had taken over, and the people didn't have a say. In a government without Article 46, it wouldn't have happened.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49387 on: May 14, 2014, 04:50:28 pm »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #49388 on: May 14, 2014, 04:51:16 pm »

At least some people knew what was going to happen as early as 1938, when an author who's name escapes me published a book demanding an immediate declaration of war from the US, Britain, and France, along with a declaration of Crusade from the Pope. Having flipped through it at work, I found the copyright date difficult to believe, as there's aspects to it that he seems to have figured out before Hitler did.

Must have been a time traveller.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49389 on: May 14, 2014, 04:52:41 pm »

christwire.org

My sides.

You owe me new ones.
You're a bit late to the party.
Christwire has a long history of writing some good stuff. And the comment sections are always amusing.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #49390 on: May 14, 2014, 04:58:57 pm »

Hitler got elected under a democracy, and his hatred of Jews wasn't exactly unknown before that. People KNEW about Hitler, they just didn't think he would go so far as genocide.

Dude published a book a decade before, it was practically old-news.
Considering how much of a shock the mass graves were even to the allies, genocide wasn't even on their minds. Germany was either going to fall to a totalitarian facist regime or a totalitarian communist regime. All other points I've already covered. Comedy can only do so much against shock troopers.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 05:00:47 pm by Loud Whispers »

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #49391 on: May 14, 2014, 05:10:58 pm »

I'm feeling rather lethargic lately for some reason. Dammit, I thought regular exercise is suppose to make you more energetic!

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #49392 on: May 14, 2014, 06:09:02 pm »

christwire.org

My sides.

You owe me new ones.
Christwire has a long history of writing some good stuff. And the comment sections are always amusing.
It can't be that ba-

Dear Comrades, It has taken along time for this to happen, but just like the devil waits in the shadows, The Pokemon company has waited up until now to spring on this “new” pair of games called Pokémon Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire upon our children. We have had enough of the Dark messages in the last pokemon games, such as prostitution and soliciting outside of shady shacks in the bayou. But, the truly frightening fact is how the games […]

Oh lord
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #49393 on: May 14, 2014, 07:12:30 pm »

christwire.org

My sides.

You owe me new ones.
It can't be that ba-

Dear Comrades, It has taken along time for this to happen, but just like the devil waits in the shadows, The Pokemon company has waited up until now to spring on this “new” pair of games called Pokémon Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire upon our children. We have had enough of the Dark messages in the last pokemon games, such as prostitution and soliciting outside of shady shacks in the bayou. But, the truly frightening fact is how the games […]

Oh lord
Very very happy that the site is a satire.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #49394 on: May 14, 2014, 07:18:21 pm »

That was satire? Drat. Well, now I look silly with this ceremony/sacrifice prepared for DF2014. I bought a lamb for nothing!
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread
Pages: 1 ... 3291 3292 [3293] 3294 3295 ... 11040