Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3079 3080 [3081] 3082 3083 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14460757 times)

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #46200 on: March 24, 2014, 12:15:45 pm »

...Aw man, are we doin' the religion thing again? :-X
I ... I don't see any religious discussion. The last post that displays for me is Monkeyhead's post about feet being on the right way around.

Although I did just install that religious discussion filter ...
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46201 on: March 24, 2014, 12:19:04 pm »

Heh.

Didn't mean to start anything with that. Just having fun with my situation in an odd way :P

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46202 on: March 24, 2014, 12:20:48 pm »

I think the best thing to do is treat text books like the universally biased shit they are. The only factual textbooks are about empirical science. If you want to learn about anything else, your best bet is primary sources.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #46203 on: March 24, 2014, 12:28:08 pm »

No, what would be nice is if religious schools were illegal.
Err, most of the catholic schools i walked around in were pretty good on educating peoples with actual knowledge and science than shoving jesus down their throat. Hell the jesuit uni in Denver was fricking awesome (but holy expensive)

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46204 on: March 24, 2014, 12:29:45 pm »

Religion should probably go in another thread (though the last religion thread crashed, from what I remember).

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #46205 on: March 24, 2014, 12:29:51 pm »

Primary sources can be biased too. All you know is that someone else hasn't layered on their own separate mistakes and bias. To be truly certain, you need to acquire the training and tools needed to reproduce the experiment and study done by others. Over time you'll gradually discover which people out there generally tell it like it really is, and at that point you may relax and just take their word for it.

An alternative is to find a bunch of scientists, already trained and possessing the right tools, who also seem to have excellent discernment, and if they all agree that a given study looks good, you can be reasonably safe accepting it until something more persuasive comes along. Fraught with hazard, this approach is problematic because you're relying on someone else's judgment of another person's bias, skill, and character.

Anything further removed from hands-on experiment might as well be watching someone with an AA in religious studies yell at a vegan on Fox News.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46206 on: March 24, 2014, 12:32:19 pm »

Err, most of the catholic schools i walked around in were pretty good on educating peoples with actual knowledge and science than shoving jesus down their throat. Hell the jesuit uni in Denver was fricking awesome (but holy expensive)

Heck my Catholic Highschool avoided almost every single stereotype associated with religious highschools except for their dislike of contraceptives.

But then again the religious schools where I live TEND to be better then the public schools... So if they were all "Creationist anti-gay" schooling, I doubt that would be factual.

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
  • Here to throw dinosaurs at people
    • View Profile
« Reply #46207 on: March 24, 2014, 12:38:23 pm »

Meh, there's people like that who miseducate in science, as well.

Looking at you and your reptileevolution.com, DAVID PETERS.
(Also, don't go there. Read this instead, it won't give him page views.)

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #46208 on: March 24, 2014, 12:41:14 pm »

Heck my Catholic Highschool avoided almost every single stereotype associated with religious highschools except for their dislike of contraceptives.

But then again the religious schools where I live TEND to be better then the public schools... So if they were all "Creationist anti-gay" schooling, I doubt that would be factual.
Sadly thats a truth in this state even with a high budget.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46209 on: March 24, 2014, 12:41:46 pm »

Meh, there's people like that who miseducate in science, as well.

Looking at you and your reptileevolution.com, DAVID PETERS.

Factual mistakes in science and incorrect teaching is quite common even without stepping into Pseudoscience.

It is why one of the virtues of science is diligence.

Heck the Komodo Dragon and how its bite works makes me seriously question how qualified several scientists are.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46210 on: March 24, 2014, 12:42:31 pm »

Heh, two people saying good things about Catholic schools :P

Christian =/= Evangelical. There are sensible religious people out there - just look at the majority of the 1.2 billion Catholics out there.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46211 on: March 24, 2014, 12:49:00 pm »

I, personally, would not call everything about Catholicism sensible, but I'm not going to go into scripture. I'm just pointing to how they let themselves get led by the nose by an obviously corrupt Vatican.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #46212 on: March 24, 2014, 12:51:59 pm »

We have public religious schools here. Not really sure why that's still a thing. I mean historically it was implemented as a trade for the Christian parties in parliament so they'd support universal suffrage, which most of the Christian parties are now in favour of anyway.

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
  • Here to throw dinosaurs at people
    • View Profile
« Reply #46213 on: March 24, 2014, 12:59:38 pm »

Heck the Komodo Dragon and how its bite works makes me seriously question how qualified several scientists are.
I think that the komodo dragon thing is more excusable than many other things. It's about finding a small, unknown gland inside of the jaw musculature of animals that are either awkwardly small for dissection or too large and potentially damaging for lab life, that don't really relate to the rest of the body. Once they realised it was there, they were able to find venom glands for numerous other species of lizard.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46214 on: March 24, 2014, 01:00:16 pm »

I, personally, would not call everything about Catholicism sensible, but I'm not going to go into scripture. I'm just pointing to how they let themselves get led by the nose by an obviously corrupt Vatican.
Certainly not everything! Not even most things endorsed by the Church! But the Catholics themselves are generally pretty chill about religion.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.
Pages: 1 ... 3079 3080 [3081] 3082 3083 ... 11040