Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2222 2223 [2224] 2225 2226 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14461221 times)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #33345 on: June 07, 2013, 12:40:14 am »

Sorta a odd concept really, that no one is capable of seperating themselves from fiction.

But wait, that would mean all self-help books work! Which is patently, universally understood to be false! CHECK MATE, CHICK, AT YOUR OWN STUPID.
That wasn't Chick that wrote the article. He isn't nearly so eloquent or bothers making arguments.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #33346 on: June 07, 2013, 01:28:08 am »

Yeah... I've read a few Chick comics.  A few people have handed them to my kids on Halloween.  They pretty much all consist of the following.

"Here is a this-type-of-person.  They're going about their lives.  Suddenly, unspeakably horrible things happen to them and they learn that everyone+god hates them, all because they're that type of person.  Don't be that type of person.  The end."
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33347 on: June 07, 2013, 01:41:23 am »

Yeah... I've read a few Chick comics.  A few people have handed them to my kids on Halloween.  They pretty much all consist of the following.

"Here is a this-type-of-person.  They're going about their lives.  Suddenly, unspeakably horrible things happen to them and they learn that everyone+god hates them, all because they're that type of person.  Don't be that type of person.  The end."
On memorable one went as such:
Random person on a plane talks to an elderly couple that spent 20+ years in Africa doing good deeds: "Oh, you guys sound pretty cool! Helping the people in Africa, introducing them to the Lord, all that good stuff!"
Couple: "Actually, we left the conversion part out of it. We were there pretty much only for the healing the sick and building the wells and stuff."
Person: "OMG(osh)! You guys are going to hell!"
Couple: "...Why?"
Person: "Because the Bible says here that doing good deeds isn't worth jack shit in the eyes of God; only devotion to His worldview will save you!"
Couple: "Eh, that sounds really stupid. Surely God wants his children to do good deeds and such, otherwise why establish religion in the first place?"
Person: "Y GUYZ R GOING 2 HELLLL CUZ DA BIBBLE SEZ SO"
Couple: "It'll be fine."
Pilot: "OH MAH GAWD DA PLANE'S CRASHING!!!1!"
*plane crashes, killing everyone onboard. An angel comes and takes the couple to be judged before God*
Couple: "Almighty God, we [insert whatever Christians do here]. Thank you for admitting us into heaven."
God: "Actually you don't get in."
Couple: "...Why? We spent more than 20 years doing good deeds in Africa."
God: "NO FUCK YU I ALREADY DEDED SO YOU DON'T HAVE TO DO GUD DEEDS NO MO SO NOW IMMA THROW YOU INTO HELL 'CAuSE YOU DIDN'T SPEND THE TIME YOU WASTED 'HELPIN PEOPLE' WORSHIPING ME KTHANXBAI"
*God throws them into Hell"
Couple: "Well fuck you then."
Sig! Onol

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #33348 on: June 07, 2013, 01:43:12 am »

this is why the fundamentalists are crazy even to the established religions.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #33349 on: June 07, 2013, 01:44:17 am »

Paraphrased slightly, no doubt.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33350 on: June 07, 2013, 01:45:12 am »

Actually apart from the slang and such it's almost word for word.
Sig! Onol

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33351 on: June 07, 2013, 01:46:53 am »

Actually apart from the slang and such it's almost word for word.

Yes but there is a better question:

Is Rock and roll in one of those comics?

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33352 on: June 07, 2013, 01:47:32 am »

Almost certainly.
Found it ahh my eyes
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 01:50:05 am by Xantalos »
Sig! Onol

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #33353 on: June 07, 2013, 01:47:52 am »

Chick's gotta be furious with the Pope saying atheists can get to heaven. Actually, most of the far right probably sees it as further proof that the Catholic Church is a bunch of heretics or something like that.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33354 on: June 07, 2013, 01:48:58 am »

Almost certainly.

I just love it because while Dungeons and dragons at least has some ground.

The sheer unadulterated irrational understanding of what rock and roll is, it just so far removed from reality it is hilarious.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #33355 on: June 07, 2013, 01:50:15 am »

I just read the entire article. Despite a number of footnotes and references, he fails to use a single empirical piece of evidence that remotely proves his point, and only produces one verse out of the Bible that has any validity in the argument, the one that says 'fear not that which harms the body, but that which harms the mind'. After he turns around and rails on D&D for creating moral dilemmas, something which is fundamentally important in any belief system with rules, I'm pretty sure he doesn't know what that verse means. You'd think preparing yourself for real moral dilemmas would be pretty good for the mind.

To prove that rape, incest, and torture are common in the game, he quotes one 'expert' and leaves it at that. That is the extent of the 'proof' he provides for the vast majority of his arguments, and at other places in the article he makes broad, sweeping claims that rely merely on the stereotypes D&D has developed over the years. If these kids were so anti-social as you're making them out to be, why would they be gathering in groups to interact in a game that is inherently harmless? If that's what makes D&D players anti-social, then I'm afraid every single sport that kids participate in promotes the same thing and thus will send you to hell. Because God obviously hates anti-social people.

At one point, he says that despite the fact D&D players claim that their games reward heroism, self-sacrifice, and other good things, it'll still send you straight to hell - And then provides no further explanation. He takes the route of bigotry that believes that if someone has core beliefs that vary from yours, nothing good can come from them, an idea that is as unchristian as his article is claiming D&D to be.

Every single thing he says is fairly ludicrous that I found myself mentally yelling at him at the end of the article.

This cannot be good for my blood pressure, but it feels pretty good that I could shut this guy up in a face-to-face confrontation with reasoning alone.

...Maybe we should make another thread if we're going to continue discussing this. Even if it falls into mindless circle jerking, at least we won't be cluttering up the WTF thread.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33356 on: June 07, 2013, 01:50:35 am »

http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0041/0041_01.asp

The aforementioned track about the plane.

Oh, and this horribly xenophobic comic about Islam:
http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/1081/1081_01.asp
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 01:53:26 am by Xantalos »
Sig! Onol

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33357 on: June 07, 2013, 01:54:29 am »

http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0041/0041_01.asp

The aforementioned track about the plane.

Wow, I sort of like that bible verse at the end. Which honestly could be interpreted as "Sometimes even though we do things with the best intentions we can end up actually hurting people" which has somehow been completely changed in that comic.

Oh, and this horribly xenophobic comic about Islam:
http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/1081/1081_01.asp

Ok, there are certain levels of bigotry I can take, but I can't stands no more.

There is as much an Islamic plot as there is a Christian plot for the exact same purpose.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 01:57:43 am by Neonivek »

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #33358 on: June 07, 2013, 01:54:40 am »

Chick's gotta be furious with the Pope saying atheists can get to heaven. Actually, most of the far right probably sees it as further proof that the Catholic Church is a bunch of heretics or something like that.
Which is ironic cause we first christians bitches.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33359 on: June 07, 2013, 02:00:44 am »

Sig! Onol
Pages: 1 ... 2222 2223 [2224] 2225 2226 ... 11040